Molyneux "Hates" Idea of a Fable Trilogy

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Molyneux "Hates" Idea of a Fable Trilogy

Trilogies are a staple of modern media, but not when it comes to Peter Molyneux's Fable.

There's something about the number "3" that speaks to the human mind. Look it up, it's true. This might be why we create trilogies all the time, such as the Fable III [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Harrison-Ford/dp/B001EN71DG/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287325567&sr=1-1] was going to mark the end of a trilogy of its own, it won't.

Speaking to Inside Xbox at the Eurogamer Expo, Peter Molyneux revealed that the word "trilogy" isn't even in his vocabulary when it comes to Fable. "Forget about the word 'trilogy,'" he said. "I hate limiting ourselves to a trilogy."

He even hinted that the ending of Fable III will lead right into the next game. "I want you to feel that you're on a journey in Fable, and I'm not going to tell you what happens at the end of Fable III, but I don't think you'll feel in any way that you've reached the end of a trilogy," he added.

Years ago, Molyneux said he and his team had ideas for Fable all the way to a fifth game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85360-Molyneux-Promises-Two-Three-Many-Fables]. His more recent comments emphasize that Fable will continue as long as both Molyneux and gamers can stand it.

This is surely great news for anyone that loves farting on strangely dressed virtual companions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104322-You-Wont-See-These-Prostitutes-in-Fable-III]. Fable III will be released on October 26.

Source: Gamerzines [http://www.gamerzines.com/xbox-360/news/fable-not-limited-to-trilogy.html]

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Years ago...

This is a man who wanted a Black & White game for every major stepping stone of civilisation. look how far THAT got.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
You also forgot the 'Increasingly Inaccurately Named Hitchhiker's Guide Trilogy.'
Who doesn't like the Rule Of Three?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
But how would you one-up the amazing cast of Fable 3?

AHNOLD? Morgan Freeman?

Seriously. You have Cleese, Kingsley, Fry, Pegg and more already...You'll need some serious heft to outdo yourself.

Jul 22, 2009
Well he did say he wanted like 7 Fables... and as long as he makes significant improvements overall each time I'm fine with this.

Go Peter Molyneux!

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
I don't think anyone thought Fable 3 was the end. Why on earth would they stop milking that cash cow.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
You don't like the thought of a Fable Trilogy, and yet here we are, Pete. I'm getting some real mixed signals here.

May 25, 2010
The Great JT said:
You don't like the thought of a Fable Trilogy, and yet here we are, Pete. I'm getting some real mixed signals here.
A trilogy means you have to stop at the 3rd game. Molyneux just said that he wants to keep making Fables and not stop at Fable 3. Which just made me think less of him.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Who let Molyneux out of his cage again? Lionhead need to get a tighter leash on this awful, awful man.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Ok so I'm just gonna go ahead and make a stab at what might happen in a later game. So you're out either saving or destroying the world again when suddenly DUN DUN DUN! Theresa turns out to be a bad guy! If Peter really does throw that in a later game as a "plot twist" I will laugh.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Fable will be around as long as any form of Xbox is.

WorldCritic said:
Ok so I'm just gonna go ahead and make a stab at what might happen in a later game. So you're out either saving or destroying the world again when suddenly DUN DUN DUN! Theresa turns out to be a bad guy! If Peter really does throw that in a later game as a "plot twist" I will laugh.
Don't knock it if you can't beat it.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
But how would you one-up the amazing cast of Fable 3?

AHNOLD? Morgan Freeman?

Seriously. You have Cleese, Kingsley, Fry, Pegg and more already...You'll need some serious heft to outdo yourself.
David Bowie, William Shatner, Brian Blessed and Dan Green. Obviously. Now guess what role they'd each play.

How could anyone think of Fable as a trilogy? The only connection between the first two is being set in the same world, though enough time passed between to effectively reset everything. I'm sure Fable 3 is going to be just as disconnected.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I'm just waiting for a Fable set in modern times, hell, in the FUTURE would be pretty awesome.

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
"His more recent comments emphasize that Fable will continue as long as both Molyneux and gamers can stand it."

I think you mean,

"His more recent comments emphasize that Fable will continue as long as Molyneux can stand it and gamers can stand Molyneux."