Molyneux Not Impressed by GTA V's Sales

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
I've always respected Molyneux, not for the pre-emptive over-hyping of his own products, but for his enthusiasm towards gaming in general.

So, the question is... when did he become such a douche?
I'm not certain about 'douche' being quite the right word to describe Peter Molyneux OBE.

He's always been an idealist. So, I'd like to understand this latest insta-hype machine routine of his to be his very own, oftentimes peculiar way of expressing but his dedication to and firm belief in the mobile and indy gaming market, where it is possible to achieve million dollar revenues with, well, minimal funds... and sometimes, alas, minimal effort, it seems.

That's certainly something that would easily impress Peter Molyneux OBE. I don't feel he wants to accept the fact that a violent game showcasing the worst human behaviour is something that should even be considered worthwhile; a Molyneux has his standards.

I have yet to check out his Populous revisited. I did fiddle around with the Cube, and I was not too impressed. I still open it occasionally, and it still confuses me. So many random, useless, not too endearing ideas thrown into and at that cube, so very little actual game. This can't possibly be the future, now, can it? If it is, I'd rather go back to dressing up corn cob as dolls and magically turn a bucket and a broom into an imaginary friend.

But, yes, I do think that reality sort of warps and wraps around the presence (physical or projected) of Peter Molyneux OBE. He has his own way of interpreting commonly accepted facts. It's not always a bad thing, y'know. I think he stands for the general notion that it does not matter what life and the universe hand you to work with, it all comes down to how you handle and wield it.

"So don't hold it like that!"
-Steven Paul Jobs, dead man

Jul 31, 2013
I'm still baffled that people want to hear Molyneux speak. I have no clue why you'd want to hear the opinion of the gaming industry second biggest douche (sorry, first place goes to Cliff Bleszinsky). Just baffled...

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
I've always respected Molyneux, not for the pre-emptive over-hyping of his own products, but for his enthusiasm towards gaming in general.

So, the question is... when did he become such a douche?
When people stopped listening to his bullshit. Now he has to shock with his opinions.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
Well, I guess he'll have to show the world what a successful game really is and make billions from Godus. That'll teach those damned Scots and their highly successful and profitable franchise that doesn't use microtransactions!
But... Godus is boring as hell right now D=.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Cognimancer said:
But at the same time, you probably don't have to dis the new fastest-selling entertainment product is history to get that point across.
But he probably does in order to get the press' attention, right?

Indeed, I don't know why he needs to take such pot shots at bigger games anymore, other than kiss at the feet of the mobile market.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Headdrivehardscrew said:
I have yet to check out his Populous revisited. I did fiddle around with the Cube, and I was not too impressed. I still open it occasionally, and it still confuses me. So many random, useless, not too endearing ideas thrown into and at that cube, so very little actual game. This can't possibly be the future, now, can it? If it is, I'd rather go back to dressing up corn cob as dolls and magically turn a bucket and a broom into an imaginary friend.
Interesting choice of words.

So many random, useless, not too endearing ideas... so very little actual game.
This is pretty much how I view his latest series, the Fable games. Now the original Fable is truly one of my favourite games; there's so much charm and, arguably, originality to it. Fable 2 and 3 however, well, they're another story.

Molyneux's idea of expansion or innovation seems to be simply adding more features to existing ideas. The game has NPCs? Well now you can emote with them, hold their hands, do fetch quests for them and marry them! Well that's all very good Mr. Molynuex but what is our motivation for doing so? These NPCs are shallow and lifeless, much like every feature in your "game." These features don't gel with the world or narrative, they are empty and isolated busy work with little to no impact. Why should we engage in these activities?

If Molyneux was in charge of building PCs he'd add hundreds of buttons and LEDs to the outer casing to make it look and sound awesome... but ultimately he'd forget to actually build the systems they should operate.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
Headdrivehardscrew said:
So many random, useless, not too endearing ideas... so very little actual game.
This is pretty much how I view his latest series, the Fable games. Now the original Fable is truly one of my favourite games; there's so much charm and, arguably, originality to it. Fable 2 and 3 however, well, they're another story.
Aye, same here. I quite liked the first Fable. No, no. Let me rephrase that. I loved the first one. No, still not strong enough.

I was absolutely enthralled by first Fable. Yes, it had bits and pieces that didn't quite fit, there were ideas that were obviously abandoned halfway through, it sort of turned from a nice firm cracker into a fruity custard of sorts towards the end, but it was still absolutely enjoyable, especially since I ignored the Molyneux gospel for, what, months or years before I actually got the game. Had I listened to the man and had I expected for all his promises to become manifest, things would have been far less enjoyable to me, methinks. Like a cracker with tufts of hair and glass shards baked right into it.

Molyneux's idea of expansion or innovation seems to be simply adding more features to existing ideas. The game has NPCs? Well now you can emote with them, hold their hands, do fetch quests for them and marry them! Well that's all very good Mr. Molynuex but what is our motivation for doing so? These NPCs are shallow and lifeless, much like every feature in your "game." These features don't gel with the world or narrative, they are empty and isolated busy work with little to no impact. Why should we engage in these activities?

Well, I don't know how involved Big Neux really was in the successors, but Fable 2 was somewhere between offensively annoying and downright scary hostile to the player. Giving up on wanting to play, let alone finish it seemed to be the smart choice there. By the time Fable 3 came around, I had already trained myself to just look the other way, using NLP and a a cattle prod.

If Molyneux was in charge of building PCs he'd add hundreds of buttons and LEDs to the outer casing to make it look and sound awesome... but ultimately he'd forget to actually build the systems they should operate.[/quote]

I don't know. I find it hard to go to great lengths to hate or diss the man. He was involved in some of the games that defined excellent gaming back in the days. Populous saw us build cables from scraps we had lying around just so we could link two computers together and play against each other. It was magic. Powermonger... it was OK, but all it did was make us go back to playing some more Populous, and soon after that Populous II. Along came Syndicate, and that was also a superb title. I also liked Dungeon Keeper. I didn't quite get Black & White. I was greatly amused by my giant smelly Cow of Man-Eating Doom and Exquisite Evil, but the game just felt like an overly complicated Populous spin-off, re-iteration, reboot, remake, y'know, that annoying thing going on with them movies now.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
thiosk said:
Both GTAV and these mobile titles pale in comparison to cookie clicker [https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Forteil.dashnet.org%2Fcookieclicker%2F&ei=GZc8UtOMDoX6iwKLhYHoCA&usg=AFQjCNGg5L6LX4KNcMQQBn-_0C5CirMvmg&sig2=P3SmHHGj4UOlVUYcD5aGyA&bvm=bv.52434380,d.cGE]

commence the grandmapocalypse
Okay, why the hell is it so hard to stop playing?

OT: GTA V gives vastly more content than any mobile game, honestly, there is only so much of Happy Jump I can play before getting bored.
[HEADING=3]We call it... the clickening.[/HEADING]

Poomermon

Aug 26, 2011
He was talking to mobile developers and only compared GTA V to mobile games to make a point. The best selling AAA title of all time for consoles does not hold candle for top casual mobile games. Like it or not Molyneux is absolutely right. He is not saying GTV 5 is a bad game or mobile games are some brilliant masterpieces. It is just that casual market is much bigger than console market and much less risky. But leave it to the fine people at escapist forums to hate the man for speaking the truth.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
thiosk said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
thiosk said:
Both GTAV and these mobile titles pale in comparison to cookie clicker [https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Forteil.dashnet.org%2Fcookieclicker%2F&ei=GZc8UtOMDoX6iwKLhYHoCA&usg=AFQjCNGg5L6LX4KNcMQQBn-_0C5CirMvmg&sig2=P3SmHHGj4UOlVUYcD5aGyA&bvm=bv.52434380,d.cGE]

commence the grandmapocalypse
Okay, why the hell is it so hard to stop playing?

OT: GTA V gives vastly more content than any mobile game, honestly, there is only so much of Happy Jump I can play before getting bored.
[HEADING=3]We call it... the clickening.[/HEADING]
I can't stop playing it...it is the best game of all time!

10/10 Game of the Century.
DO YOU ALREADY OWN A BINGO CENTER

THE REAL GAME BEGINS WITH A BINGO CENTER

YOU WILL BE JUDGED ONLY BY THE NUMBER OF COOKIES YOU PRODUCE PER SECOND

ALL HAIL THE GRANNIES

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009

And that's how I feel about every single piece of "Big games person says x about y" news here. Seriously, who gives a flying donkey's floppy about what Molyneux has to say about GTA V than they should about anyone else?

I was going to comment what he actually said, but it's just so insubstantial and pointless my brain just fell asleep.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Wait, so you mean it's not impressive that a game (a product of an industry that still has many thinking is nothing but a child's play thing) rated for adults only in EVERY country it was released in managed to hit 1 billion dollars in 3 days?

Lets quickly do some maths, mobile games making (lets be generous) 3 million dollars a day, how long till a billion is made ...

1,000,000,000/3,000,000 = 333.33

So what takes a mobile game almost an entire year to make is more impressive than a console game managed to do in 3 days?

Peter, shut the fuck up and realise that you are a terrible game developer and need to learn to just be positive about shit that you don't do.

Nathan Josephs

Feb 10, 2012
thats okay molyneux you have the right to not be impressed by gta Vs sales. and i have the right not to be impressed by your games. and oh boy do i exercise that right.