Molyneux Reveals Why Fable 3 Will Piss Players Off

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Molyneux Reveals Why Fable 3 Will Piss Players Off

Just what has Peter Molyneux done to Fable 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Fable-III-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JGDM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970462&sr=1-2] that will make the entire videogame industry boil over in anger? Nothing.

Last week, Microsoft Games Studio big-shot Peter Molyneux made a statement that Fable 3 would probably make gamers "super pissed off" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98115-Molyneux-Fable-3-Will-Upset-Some-People]. The reason has just been revealed at Microsoft's X10 event, though it's not quite as bad as he anticipated.

Is it that Fable 3 is going to be controlled by a single button? No. Could it be that Fable 3 has become a puzzle game? Also no. Instead, it sounds like something that would actually make gamers happy, and involves "simplification."

First of all, health bars have taken a hike, and been replaced with the type of system found in Mass Effect 2 or Gears of War where the world's colors will fade to black-and-white as a player is damaged. In Molyneux's own words: "Look at the screen! It's completely clean! Why do we need the fucking health bar?" In fact, Fable 3 will get rid of all HUD elements: bars, meters, etc.

Experience orbs are also gone in Fable 3, which could potentially be a decision that angers hardcore RPG fans that require experience points in all of their RPGs. Instead of orbs, a character's followers will decide his level of stature in the game. This sounds like an interesting change, but I won't judge it until trying it for myself.

There are other new features that Molyneux revealed, such as weapons that will change both a character and themselves depending on how they are used. Using a certain kind of sword might make your character thin and tall, while killing a certain kind of monster will cause the weapon itself to become spiky. In addition, there will be a "touch" mechanic in Fable 3 that will allow players to punish or play with children, and to drag beggars over to slave traders as they gradually pull harder and harder to get away when realizing they are going to be sold. Sounds creepy.

Molyneux apparently wasn't supposed to reveal as much as he did, but with this bit of information Fable 3 already sounds like an intriguing RPG. I'm not pissed off at all, in truth, I'm actually excited.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/11/x10-fable-3-impressions-spoiler-were-not-pissed-off/]

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
"...Peter Molyneux has yet to grasp that not everyone gives a shit." --Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

But seriously; no HUD? What about mana, hmm? How is one to keep track of that? And having a weapon that can be molded from Play-Doh based on how it's used? What if I want to use it for tax returns; does it turn into a goldfish?

I know it seems like I am "pissed off," but I'm more pissed off about why these changes to a game should even matter. And being able to abuse children? Who wants that?! (Yes, I know Yahtzee pointed that out in his review.)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
I think most gamers with respond to that news (or anything else that gobshite spouts) with complete apathy and disinterest rather than anger.

jad4400

Jun 12, 2008
Wow.......This actually sounds pretty cool, admitably Molyneux tend to over hype things, but these: apperence changes, Hud elimination and leveling experience actually sound like they will improve the overall experience of the game.

Maybe I'm just a craven optimist, but this actually gets my hopes up about this game.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Jbird said:
"...Peter Molyneux has yet to grasp that not everyone gives a shit." --Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw

But seriously; no HUD? What about mana, hmm? How is one to keep track of that?

Wasen't there no limit to Mana in Fable 2?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
there will be a "touch" mechanic in Fable 3 that will allow players to punish or play with children
......I'm not quite sure how to respond to that so I'll just take a random shot at translating it.

Translation: You can now viciously beat your children or molest them, yes now you get to chose the method of scaring that turns them into a mini you!

While none of this angers me the addition of such features makes me question why, considering in the other fables this was game-play I passed over.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
jad4400 said:
Maybe I'm just a craven optimist, but this actually gets my hopes up about this game.
This is Peter Molyneux.

Don't get excited until it comes out.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Instead of orbs, a character's followers will decide his level of stature in the game.
So, very much in the style of Black & White then? I don't mind per se but B&W1 was vastly superior to #2.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
there will be a "touch" mechanic in Fable 3 that will allow players to punish or play with children
Fox news will be all over this. "OMG CHILD CRUELTY! PROTECT THE CHILDREN!"
I just wonder if it's a simple shove or a smack or something like the parents of say the 1950s would do to their kids before making your kids follow the rules went out of style.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Sweet game sounds great already...even if it is Molyneux. He just makes me excited for whatever the hell hes gonna release.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I'm starting to think that Molyneux just wants to make a Sim game, rather than a story-driven RPG. I mean, we all know what a powerhouse Fable II was in that regard.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
ok...

Well what time period will it be in? because I didnt like the newer style of Fable with guns. I liked the swords and fantasy style of RPG

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Sir Kemper said:
Jbird said:

But seriously; no HUD? What about mana, hmm? How is one to keep track of that?

Wasen't there no limit to Mana in Fable 2?
My mistake; I stand corrected.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Okay, I'm calling it now. The entirety of this game will be spent chasing around the same generic NPCs and spamming a button to either massage them or molest them, depending upon whether you want to look like Jesus or Satan.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Wow, those seem to be pretty damn significant design choices.

But then again, he has made many interesting claims in the past, and didn't deliver on them.

So yeah, who knows how the game will actually turn out.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
Fox news will be all over this. "OMG CHILD CRUELTY! PROTECT THE CHILDREN!"
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Well, looks like it's safe to assume at this point that Australia sure as hell won't be getting Fable 3! :)

Child makes fun of old lady who falls over.
You punish said child with light flick on the ear.
Michael Atkinson: "OH MY GOD, IT'S A CHILD TORTURE SIMULATOR! QUICK! BURN IT! BURN IT WITH FIRE! PROTECT TEH KIDDIES!!

laman132

Jan 27, 2010
i can only reaffirm lacktheknack's statement. this is molyneux. take the news with a metric fuck-ton of salt. and then some.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Oh Molyneux. Why the hell are you making creep sims lately? I mean, look at that Milo game. Now in Fable you drag peasants to be sold into slavery, 'punish' (I'm assuming he means spanking) or play with children? Lord...

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
ill wait untill someone who is actually making the game relases smething that is real.
I dont believe what this guy says
he is an idiot