Molyneux's Godus is a Go

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Molyneux's Godus is a Go

Peter Molyneux's god game kickstarter made its first and second stretch goals.

Godus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121156-Time-Is-Running-Out-on-Molyneuxs-Godus-Kickstarter] is a go, and as the Kickstarter comes to a close - at £475,000+ it made its first two stretch goals - a new multiplayer gameplay video has been released. If ever you wanted to know how to defeat Peter Molyneux at his own game, watch it!

The first stretch goal sneaks 3 additional single and multiplayer game modes into Godus. "Whilst we are basing the main inspiration for our competitive multiplayer on Populous and Dungeon Keeper," said the 22 Cans team on its Kickstarter page, "we would love to explore our land-sculpting and weather technology to inspire some brand new and exciting game modes!" The second stretch goal invokes the 'build your own sect' feature, where you can start your own religion or join an existing one.

The Kickstarter still has 30 hours to go at time of writing, so it's not impossible the third stretch goal - £485,000, James Leach of Black & White and Populous fame writes the story - will be reached. Beyond that, well ... anything's possible for a god [http://www.sff.net/people/doylemacdonald/d_chu-bu.htm], but some things are more likely than others.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus]

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
There are no excuses this time Peter. I want to believe in you, I really do. Don't let your backers down and give us something we would all truly enjoy.

Iyon

Recovering Lurker
May 16, 2012
I'm really glad to see it's reached it's goal. I am absolutely broke at the moment so I wasn't able to pledge any money, but I like god games and it looks like it could be a fun.

I've been hurt by Mr. Molyneux before though, so I'm still a little skeptical at the moment.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Smolderin said:
There are no excuses this time Peter. I want to believe in you, I really do. Don't let your backers down and give us something we would all truly enjoy.
QFT... So far Peter has dreamed and promised big and not delivered, but now that he's off of the leash he shouldn't have the excuses.

cwmdulais

Jan 18, 2010
i donated purely for the round-the-clock access to the 22cans development webcam, can you imagine the utter insanity of working with peter?

Mamzelle_Kat

Aug 23, 2010
Woah, I honestly didn't think it would make it! Good for them!!

Can you imagine how stressed everyone over at 22cans must've been?

I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
I'm not sure what to think, I guess the whole "Will Godus be the first big name kickstarter to fail?" coverage of the campaign by gaming sites has coloured my opinion of the game somewhat. Minute I saw Peter face I knew it was going to make its goal, no matter what people said. But I just can't say I have liked anything of what I have seen to get exited by.

cwmdulais said:
i donated purely for the round-the-clock access to the 22cans development webcam, can you imagine the utter insanity of working with peter?
I wouldn't expect too much, since for the most part they will just be stills like this:

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Got to say; no matter what your opinion of Peter and his constant overpromising; he's still made some games that were, at the very least, enjoyable. This is one of the games that I'd very much like to see made no matter what the final outcome and I'm really rather happy it's hit its goal.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I would rather see another overrated and possibly broken Peter Molyneux game than have to endure even more of these so-called "Triple A" shooters. I wish 22 Cans all the very best of luck.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Congrats to the man for his passion and energy. For the longest time, I wasn't going to bother backing this because the pitch consisted of nothing beyond a few promises from Molyneux. But in the ending hours, once I could see an actual product taking shape, I decided to take the risk. I think other people felt the same way, having watched Peter's team strive over regular updates to get something concrete, and finally became infected by Peter's giddy enthusiasm.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Congratulations, 22 Cans. I didn't bet on you, but I'd be more than happy to see you succeed.

Plumerou

Mar 7, 2011
While Peter may hype his game into impossible things, i still wish him the best of luck and to 22cans, at least he always does something different than most developers and "AAA" studios and for that he's got my respect.

Mar 9, 2012
Although I not a backer, I am still fairly optimistic about this.

The promises of a game with the best parts of Black & White, Dungeon Keeper, and Populous sounds like good recipe on paper. Of course it still remains to be seen if the finished game is any good.