Moments in Games that Made you Cry

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
The moment in Mother 3 where
Flint learns of Hinawas death, and in a fit of sadness and rage begins to lash out at the other villagers, who have to knock him out and put him in jail. The scene was very heartbreaking and well done. The ending hit me harder when Lucas and his brother Claus meet as enemies, and as Claus manages to break through his mind control just long enough to fire a shot of lightning at Lucas, which he knows will bounce off of his Franklin Badge, mortally wounding Claus, and through this suicide freeing his mind.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
realslimshadowen said:
Probably the first time was when I did a dark side run in Jedi Knight. That was more from shock and horror than sadness. And I never watched that cinematic again.
Dude, I know exactly what you mean. Quite possibly the best executed "WHAT HAVE I BECOME?!?!" moment in gaming. Especially if you'd played the Lightside already and got to see how that ended.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Call me cheezy but

[the scene where Dom Dies]

Red Dead Redemption must ofcourse be mentioned. Final Fantasy 9 was great too in that regard.

RazielXT

Oct 19, 2009
Ending of ICO, epic ending of hopeless struggle against seemingly inevitable fate. And the music just made it all perfect.
not to mention
even though it seems that girl went down with the island, in the gameplay after credits you find her lying on the shore

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Saviordd1 said:
Say what you will about the ending, but jesus christ ME3 loved making me almost cry.

I mean look at this shit.

And there's many more, but I mean....
Jesus bioware!

Also losing Lydia in Skyrim gets pretty sad, but I don't know if that counts...
yeah, i never quite cried at anything in ME3, BUT GODDAMN IT WAS SOO CLOSE
however, i have only played it once, and i made every choice i could to get as many people out alive as i could, so the real sad parts i managed to avoid.

i saw them later though, and HOLY SHIT! i mean, mordin! so dedicated, but for what? and then wrex.... then tali, legion, hell, even anderson. even the kid at the beginning made me frown and tear up a little.

also, tuchanka, that had its moments

and how could i forget Thessia? i was literally yelling at the people helping me to go and get the hell out while they could. i can handle 2 harvesters and some brutes, i have a black widow and plot armor, but if you stay you are dead, RUN!
....but they never listened.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Fate/Stay Night, Fate ending. Mass Effect 3 brought me close, but F/SN is the only one to bring me to actual tears. And sobbing. On the second playthrough.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I didn't cry over the ending of Red Dead Redemption, but it was quite a punch.

Cole comforting Kuo in their last moments before they sacrifice themselves to save mankind was just such a well done moment. And then the cutscene afterwards where everyone's praising your sacrifice...

When it came time to say goodbye to Fi. Don't look at me like that, I happened to like having her around. Sure she was a little overbearing but she was always there for me.

Leethe1Girl

Apr 30, 2012
John Marsden's death. That was the only I time I cried actual sad tears for a game.

The ending of Final Fantasy 9 got me to tear up but those were happy.

[EDIT] OH! And the ending of Final Fantasy 8 but that was only because it took me 50 damn tries to beat the f@cking boss.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
When I talked to Haas in Deus Ex Human Revolution. To see him break down and ask for forgiveness due to the massive guilt made me cry silently for a minute. Manly tears indeed.

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
Jynthor said:
Manly tears were shed when Mordin died in ME3. And Grunt's scene got close.
Such a shame all that emotion turned to hate when I got to the ending. Oh well.
I shed a manly tears for Mordin and Legion in ME 3. Because I loved those characters.

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
ME 3? How? The closest I had to tears in mentioned moments was facepalming myself to death. It was so obvious that they have to start killing your ex-teammates. It may be sudden only with first victim of Bioware writers, but later it seems more like a mania.

My choice - Portal 2 and Bastion endings. Mostly for music. And Super Meat Boy caused tears when i broke another keyboard trying to beat 7-20 and 5x-20 ;)

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
Never really got to that point, but I think the closest I ever got was Toby's self-sacrifice in Quest For Glory: Shadows Of Darkness. Of course that was 18 years ago and I've since become completely inured to such...

...aah, damnit. *sniffles*

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
RustlessPotato said:
Call me cheezy but

[the scene where Dom Dies]

Red Dead Redemption must ofcourse be mentioned. Final Fantasy 9 was great too in that regard.
Good to see I'm not the only one! I kept hoping he might have survived :/

My answer is in Gears 2, when Dom finally finds his wife. That was a sad moment.

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
Can't say that I cried, But I did get a little teary eyed when Dom died in Gears of War 3