Moments in gaming that spooked you out!?

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
THAT quest in Vampire The Masquerade : Bloodlines.

It isn't even a horror game, yet nothing has ever scared me more than the haunted mansion.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Fatal Frame 2... the whole fucking thing...

But specifically...

The that lady fell from the top of the stairs... and then fell from the top of the stars again...

The room with the hanging dolls.

And those two little brats runs through walls.

Fenreil

Mar 14, 2010
The Regenerators in Resident Evil 4 were terrifying. They moved slowly and loudly, making gasping, jittery breaths, usually down narrow corridors while you shot the shit out of them, to no effect. What's worse is when you shoot off one of their legs, thinking "Yeah, why don't come and get me now, ************!", just to watch them slither along the ground crazy fast, leap up, and bite your face off. Also that bloodstained, jumping bag in the dumpster creeped me out.

Somebody really needs to make an Eternal Darkness sequel or remake. That game had the best fucking ideas for messing with you. It pretended to mess with your volume settings and erase your data for fuck's sake. How can you have better ideas than that?

white_salad

Aug 24, 2008
The part in doom 3 with the woman and the crying baby....to put it simply, that was a "fuck that shit" moment.

Neurowaste

Apr 4, 2008
Penumbra:Black Plague, all of it. No game has turned me into as much of a pussy as that that game. Especially the dog kennel part. For anybody who plays it, crouch and go into the doghouses,nice surprise for you.

Twistur

Apr 16, 2009
I don't play horror games that often, but there was 1 moment in Metro 2033 that caught me.
It's when you
Ride along in the subway cart, and
Encounter the ghosts / shadows that are 'living' in the subway. The messed up bit is that you see them as shadows, so I repeatedly scanned the area for enemies to which the shadows belonged, which weren't really there.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Condemned 1 is mentioned quite a lot. And with a reason! Forgert the second one, the first one is a terrifying masterpiece!

I freaked in every Fatal Frame game, but I got really scared in the first one when you see a trail of blood and hear a woman moaning about how dark everything is. She slowly walks around the corner towards you, her eyes missing, bloody tears running down her face which is frozen in agony. You later learn that she was forced to wear a blindfold with nails on the inside...

In Silent Hill 3 are two nice scares:
You can enter a room full of mannequins. When you pick up an item in this room you hear a grunting noise and when you turn around you see that one mannequin's head is missing and the rest is covered in blood.

The second one is in the hospital when you walk into the basement. At the end of the floor lies a wheelchair with one wheel still turning and a bloody trail going around a corner. This made me think up all kinds of images. Almost peed my pants when I got closer and the turning wheel suddelny stops.

Seems as if I'm a guy for psychological scares...

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
white_salad said:
The part in doom 3 with the woman and the crying baby....to put it simply, that was a "fuck that shit" moment.
Come with me... this way *BOOM* THEY TOOK MY BABY

WAAAAAH

Yeah, I sweated a little too.

Anyway, the Dunwich building in Fallout3 scared the hell out of me. It's look Doom3 without the flashlight.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Dead Space had one moment where I'd walked into a closet like room and on the wall was the shadow of a Necromorph, only there for a fleeting second before it left, I proceeded to get out of that closet like a bat out of hell and look thoroughly for the culprit Necromorph; only to find nothing. Creepy.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
sephiroth1991 said:
I guess for me is a bit in Silent Hill 2, in the prison, the character looks into one of the cells but you can't seen anythink and your radio is going crazy like if a monster is their. You can even aim at it but it still dosn't move or do anythink.
also, I think it's the one that goes 'chug-chug-chug-"wooshhiii"' in an hyper-bass voice...it made me run through that corridor so fast :(
or the first time I did the Maria sidestory (I have an Xbox), I realized how lucky James is to have a radio and a light ): plus the part in the attic was so sad, I just didn't expect a mannequin after that :O

or in SHH when you're in the 1st mine part (under the doctor's office) in one spot, there is a deadend with a doll at the end. when you get to the doll and press A she goes 'Behind you' and then you turn and there is a smoke monster there D:

In FEAR files, Extraction point for the surprising nurse, and Perseus mandate for the 'mandatory flashlight malfunction' Thank God for the Lightning arc :)

IronyIsGood

Mar 21, 2010
Donkey Kong 64 the jack in the box boss freaked me out and I just couldn't complete the fight (had to get someone else to do it)
I was a wuss.
but I didn't get scared at all by bioshock. I guess I'm braver now.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Iceburg116 said:
Never had much scare me in games.
But one game always managed to make me look over my shoulder whenever I was alone. Can't quite remember the game, but it was on the GameCube. Whenever your character's sanity started to drop too much, or something that was absolutely not right, the game would do something to you. The gamer.
Something I remember is turning the screen black with a green "VIDEO" in the top right corner, to make it seem the video cut off. Then you'd hear this bloodcurdling "AAAUUUUGGGHHHhhhh....!" from your character. After a bit, the video would come back, and you'd be exactly where you were.
Maybe a few bloodstains on the wall, or a corpse that wasn't there before, but just fine otherwise.
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

Actually a very fun game

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
For me, it was 1993's "The 7th Guest". The whole intro just scared the bejesus out of me. That Henry Stauf is one of the scariest villains out there, and probably one of the best, in my book at least. With Jon Irenicus, of course. But Stauf? How can he not be scary? He's a drifter, a thief, a murderer, sold his soul, forged a pact with the supernatural and entrapped children's souls in toys. How can that not scare a 10-year-old?

Cockney_Jesus

Feb 18, 2009
The witch in Left4Dead spooks me out.

But as for downright scariest, COD4 believe it or not!
My friend got attack dogs, I could hear the barking but I couldn't see any...I then looked right and saw a dog jumping right at my face! I screamed out loud much to the amusement of my friends!
I've never screamed out loud before. =(
Now I get paranoid whenever someone uses dogs...although luckily for me I don't really like COD so I only play it if I'm at a friend's house.

dekuben

Jun 8, 2009
The start of Korsakovia scared the shit out of me, I haven't played further than that yet :>

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While I am easy to scare, Half-Life 2 scared the hell out of me when I was in a abandoned house and two electrical gadgets fell through the roof and attacked me.

Also, although I only watched a playthrough of it, Silent Hill feels scary throughout.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
I played many horror games but i think NOTHING matches up to Batman arkham asylum.
Sure , its just a hack-slasho button masho decent game but when i walk in a morgue opening body bags containing my parents and scarecrow -
JESUS F***ING CHRIST!

Hattman

Oct 22, 2009
feather240 said:
The village with bloodsuckers was... Scary.
Oh god...that village... STALKER have some seriously scary moments. And if you think about somethings they get scarier.