Moments of pure and utter brilliance in works you otherwise thought were bad.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
The anime "Nobunaga the Fool" is about 30 minutes of mediocre robot anime (to me, at least, but I don't normally watch robo anime, so I wouldn't know the standard) But there is just one reason I watch the next episode every week. It's about Nobunaga Oda, Jeanne d'Arc, and Leonardo da Vinci fighting in robots against people like Gaius Julius Caesar and King Arthur. The awesome factor of that alone carries the series for me. Gg, can't be topped.

Mar 5, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Umm, I suppose Beyond: Two Souls counts. The entire thing makes no sense but the bit where Jodie goes around raising money when homeless is pretty much the highlight of the whole game. Then David Cage ruins it by having you escape a burning building for literally no reason other than he didn't know how to transition into the next scene properly.

Seriously, the entire game is terrible but it's also a trainwreck that you can't look away from. Exactly how bad is the next scene going to be? How much more can David Cage fail to grasp In Medias Res as a storytelling device? When's the next creepy "almost got raped but saved by ghost powers" scene? How hard can Willem Dafoe and Ellen Page's really strong acting talent carry this terrible excuse for a script? What's the next thing David Cage copy pasted wholesale into his game? How badly can he contrive failing all important QTEs yet still advance the plot regardless?

"Game overs are a failure of the game designer."
Also William Dafoe in that game. He was awesome in it.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Despite me hating almost everything else about Mass Effect 2, The last level was actually pretty good. There was tension, I actually got to decide stuff and I finally got a chance to disobey an order from that asshole who I refuse to call by his stupid made-up name (Which I'm pretty sure is mis-spelled). Completely overhyped though, 'cos I got everyone through alive no problem.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Fappy said:
- Ken yelling at M. Bison, "You dickhead!"
- "Them Bones" playing at the most awkward time for an Alice in Chains song
- "Blind" by Korn playing at the very end when Ryu is getting accosted by M. Bison driving a semi

Fucking weird shit right there XD
Also, the bruce-lee-a-like (fei something or other... been so long since I've played the games and he wasn't a particularly memorable character being he was from the 'added for turbo' roster and his schtick was 'bruce lee clone') was voiced by Brain Cranston, AKA Heisenberg.

Also, dub Ken was Yakumo from 3x3 eyes and Makoto from El Hazard, two anime I have a strong fondness for (plus he has a very distinctive voice)

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
The bit where you lead the Chinese civilians to safety in Battlefield 4 was kind of cool and interesting. The rest of the single player campaign totally sucked.

Generally speaking any given Marvel superhero film will have at least one really cool action scene that stands above the cinematic flatline that is the rest of the film. In The Avengers it was the tracking shot of all the heroes killing aliens, and in Iron Man 3 (which I otherwise strongly did not care for) it was both bits where Pepper Potts gets to be awesome.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
DaWaffledude said:
Despite me hating almost everything else about Mass Effect 2, The last level was actually pretty good. There was tension, I actually got to decide stuff and I finally got a chance to disobey an order from that asshole who I refuse to call by his stupid made-up name (Which I'm pretty sure is mis-spelled). Completely overhyped though, 'cos I got everyone through alive no problem.
It isn't a misspelling; illusive and elusive are words with similar (but not quite identical) meanings. Actually, I think his name was far to apt and played the entire hand for the character the moment they tell you what Sheen's character is called.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
TheJJBL said:
This scene from Star Wars Episode two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6aD-m7Cw84

There's Yoda lamenting that a war has been started, some standard sad music, then it happens, as the vast legions of Clones march onto what look like star destroyers, the Empire's leitmotif plays. The rest of the movie was meh, but that scene, it reminds anyone that saw the original films just what these knights in shining armour that saved the jedi, that saved the day, will become.
I'm going to go in the same vein as you, but from Episode 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo4cFViNLes

I'm going to be honest... I actually kind of like Episode 3, but I really like this scene. While the last vestiges of the Republic would continue for another few years, here really is the moment when the jedi lost.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The Star Wars prequels are great examples for this. Episode II is dire, except for the battle on Geonosis, which is great fun. Episode III is even worse, except for General Grievous, who I loved to watch. Shiny gems in pools of excrement.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Your Fearless Captain said:
The Wykydtron said:
Umm, I suppose Beyond: Two Souls counts. The entire thing makes no sense but the bit where Jodie goes around raising money when homeless is pretty much the highlight of the whole game. Then David Cage ruins it by having you escape a burning building for literally no reason other than he didn't know how to transition into the next scene properly.

Seriously, the entire game is terrible but it's also a trainwreck that you can't look away from. Exactly how bad is the next scene going to be? How much more can David Cage fail to grasp In Medias Res as a storytelling device? When's the next creepy "almost got raped but saved by ghost powers" scene? How hard can Willem Dafoe and Ellen Page's really strong acting talent carry this terrible excuse for a script? What's the next thing David Cage copy pasted wholesale into his game? How badly can he contrive failing all important QTEs yet still advance the plot regardless?

"Game overs are a failure of the game designer."
Also William Dafoe in that game. He was awesome in it.
Oh yeah, easily the best thing in the game. His character was actually sympathetic and interesting especially towards the end.

Though like many other people I can't look at him the same way after watching that Spiderman film years ago. His Green Goblin was awesome.

"Jodie! We have to kill Spiderman!"

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Tons of albums I purchased back in my teens were like this. There were maybe 2 good songs, which were the ones that made the rounds on radio or MTV2 (back when it played music videos and such), and then the rest of the album was completely different, or just so average/blah that I couldn't be bothered to listen to it much. Alien Ant Farm did a cover of "Smooth Criminal" by Michael Jackson, and it was all heavy and bouncey and kinda rad, but the album it was on sounds rather not like the single, and was completely a disappointment. I've gotten a bit more savvy to that kind of thing over the years, and now I pretty much always find a way to stream the full album before I make any purchases.