Moments that strengthen my stance on Gun Control: Armed Mob erroneously terrorizes innocent Teen.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
About 15 people, some armed, confronted the wrong black teen. Now an officer is fired

A North Carolina corrections officer is out of a job and facing charges after he and about 15 other people, some armed, harassed a black teenager they mistakenly believed was involved in a girl's disappearance, the teen's attorney said.

Jordan Kita is charged with forcible trespass, breaking and entering and willful failure to discharge duties, New Hanover and Pender County District Attorney Ben David said last week.
Kita, who the teen's family says wedged his foot in the door when 18-year-old Dameon Shepard and his mother tried to close it, committed the crimes "while armed and in uniform in a county that he was not duly sworn in and in furtherance of personal not law enforcement purposes," the prosecutor said.

Pender County resident Austin Wood, who is accused of carrying a gun in the mob, is charged with going armed to the terror of the public, the police said.

The New Hanover County Sheriff Ed McMahon fired Kita, he said in a statement that David read to reporters.
Some good news, though. The girl was found. She supposedly simply ran away. Why they needs an armed group of 15, I don't know.

I find it telling that often in incidents like this, people call for calm if the act happens to a black community member. That we should all relax and let the authorities take charge.

A girl goes missing and armed mobs come to people's houses. Where are the calls for calm there? A group of people perceived a slight and God damn it, they were going to get answers. When a slight happens to the black community, allow the slow wheels of justice to turn as they may. A woman calls for a mob to get off her porch because they have no business there and they don't leave? Hard to arrest anyone as the sheriff says.

And again. As they things mount, others want to consider them one offs or anomalies. But this is every day life for others.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
About 15 people, some armed, confronted the wrong black teen. Now an officer is fired

Some good news, though. The girl was found. She supposedly simply ran away. Why they needs an armed group of 15, I don't know.

I find it telling that often in incidents like this, people call for calm if the act happens to a black community member. That we should all relax and let the authorities take charge.

A girl goes missing and armed mobs come to people's houses. Where are the calls for calm there? A group of people perceived a slight and God damn it, they were going to get answers. When a slight happens to the black community, allow the slow wheels of justice to turn as they may. A woman calls for a mob to get off her porch because they have no business there and they don't leave? Hard to arrest anyone as the sheriff says.

And again. As they things mount, others want to consider them one offs or anomalies. But this is every day life for others.
Yea I heard about this, apparently off duty cop dressed in uniform showed up with a lynch mob with armed men to the wrong house demanding entry and when the people in the lynch mob realized they were at the wrong house, they started to disburse but this off duty cop then started telling the homeowner that it would be pointless for her to try to do anything about it and attempted to intimidate her into inaction. That understandably didn't go over very well with the homeowner either. Charges really should be brought against each of them for that behavior. You know as well as I do that they all know who was there, and are pretending they don't, they just are not talking.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Apparently, it grows.

When the police arrived, the group of people looking for the girl came back, she said, and the neighbors stayed with the Shepards while they talked to police.

Estes knew the boy the group was looking for and put two deputies on the phone with his mom, she said. They didn't speak long, and she later heard one of the deputies say they'd found the missing girl at a friend's house.

"Lo and behold, she isn't even with him," Estes said. "All of this happened for zero reason."

As neighbors at the scene, including the ex-policeman and a former bail bondsman, recounted more than two dozen laws they felt were broken, a Pender County sheriff's captain nodded in agreement, Estes said. Thus, it surprised the neighborhood to learn David intended to bring only misdemeanor charges against two people, she said.

"I don't think they've done enough. I think misdemeanor charges are ridiculous," she said. "They were so aggressive. ... There's just no telling where their mindset was at. It wasn't like they even had a plan.
So, the boy had to chant over and over again that he wasn't even the boy they were looking for. Ex-law enforcement were on the scene and surmised what the mob did to the Shepard family to have broken more than two dozen laws.

This is the sort of thing that always comes into my mind when people say "If blacks are so innocent all the time, why are they always arrested in such a high rate". Because the Law isn't Absolute. The Law is dispatched by people. And people make a judgment call. If the judgement call is tainted with bias for a certain group, expect that group to be found guilty and more readily than other groups. No needing to make an informed decision at those times...

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
"Mob" is entirely the right term. A few guys work themselves up into a tizzy. Then they tell a few other people, and a few other people get fired up and want to go along, and the next thing you know it's a whole self-righteous social activity, the more the merrier.

At worst - because I've definitely come across some people like this - a few have a hard-on for the opportunity to get some justice themselves. The sort who clearly want a burglar to break into their house at some point so they have an opportunity to shoot a bad guy.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
At worst - because I've definitely come across some people like this - a few have a hard-on for the opportunity to get some justice themselves. The sort who clearly want a burglar to break into their house at some point so they have an opportunity to shoot a bad guy.
I've seen more than a few online firearm forums where people have said, in full seriousness, "I can't wait for someone to break in so I can see the look in his eyes before I put a bullet between them!". They're basically champing at the bit for an excuse to kill someone and not be punished for it.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
It seems like people in the USA are starting to realise that the cops won't stop them if they go armed in a group. That's not good folks, the rule of law is going out the window.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Okay, just so people are aware, on other sites, the anti-lynching law that was passed earlier this year is seen as bias against white people (or rather pro-African American) and is part of the Black Agenda which is set to kill all whites, similar to Zimbabwe

And they hate Trump for passing it

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
It seems like people in the USA are starting to realise that the cops won't stop them if they go armed in a group. That's not good folks, the rule of law is going out the window.
Untrue. People in the USA always knew that cops won't stop them if they are white.

Completely the opposite if other races try to use the same rights as whites

Something that's been proved time and again

And again.

And again.

And again

This is actually even getting tiresome for me. But no. People are not safe if they are carrying guns in the USA. Only if you are white.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
"Mob" is entirely the right term. A few guys work themselves up into a tizzy. Then they tell a few other people, and a few other people get fired up and want to go along, and the next thing you know it's a whole self-righteous social activity, the more the merrier.
Mob is such an ugly term, we like to think of it as a posse.

Except without the summoning...direction...or authority of any law enforcement personnel.

...So a mob.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Odd these things are happening now. When this book came out, the US was experiencing a decades long crime wave this book argues, was caused by "new ideas" about crime and social control.1589533251196.jpeg Movies like "Death Wish" (1974) celebrated the murder of muggers. People were hysterical that the US Justice system and its "new ideas" were wreaking havoc on society. Do we sense growing lawlessness in the US at this time? "Death Wish" (1974) made $22 million, not adjusted for inflation. It's 2018 remake made but $30 if that says anything about normal people's fantasies of vigilantism. Yet we're hearing of these vigilante type tactics happening repeatedly. Reviewing: have crime rates made a substantial uptick in the last few years? How often is this sort of thing happening?

EDIT: Crime rates may be up a tick. Unlikely 1970-1995 rates. https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/crime-rate-statistics

Attachments

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Odd these things are happening now. When this book came out, the US was experiencing a decades long crime wave this book argues, was caused by "new ideas" about crime and social control.View attachment 137 Movies like "Death Wish" (1974) celebrated the murder of muggers. People were hysterical that the US Justice system and its "new ideas" were wreaking havoc on society. Do we sense growing lawlessness in the US at this time? "Death Wish" (1974) made $22 million, not adjusted for inflation. It's 2018 remake made but $30 if that says anything about normal people's fantasies of vigilantism. Yet we're hearing of these vigilante type tactics happening repeatedly. Reviewing: have crime rates made a substantial uptick in the last few years? How often is this sort of thing happening?

EDIT: Crime rates may be up a tick. Unlikely 1970-1995 rates. https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/crime-rate-statistics
I think these things have constantly happened: they might just have not been so widely reported.

Firstly because there was less reach of news media: local news was local, and national news would filter out most of the small stuff. It was only with the vast expansion of news media (more TV channels, dedicated TV channels, etc.) and particularly the internet that much local news could become national or international.

Secondly, there may have been changes in attitude where this sort of thing was "accepted" - by which I mean not that people liked it, but that it was just something that was done and had always been done and wasn't seen as newsworthy. However, over the years it has more disapproved and/or people have felt more emowered to attack it. In the USA at least there was potentially a strong tradition from the old frontier of taking the law into one's own hands, because the authorities were pretty scarce. This probably instilled some pretty deep cultural attitudes, which were continued and romanticised into more modern times (e.g. Westerns) even though the original reason withered as the western USA developed. The difference between 1974 and 2020 may just be the slow decline of this cultural attitude.

Reactions: gorfias

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
Where was this again? ...Ahh, North Carolina. Yup, that's totally in character for that backwards state.

I am so glad that the family did not surrender their son. Because that sounds like it would have VERY swiftly become a literal lynch mob.

We have seen this shit happen over and over again. Anytime there's a mob of angry armed white guys convinced a black kid did something bad, that kid will either get brutalized and thrown in prison for something they didn't do....Or they'll just get murdered.

And like basically every other time, woooops, turns out the black kid was innocent the entire time. It's almost like vigilante justice is bullshit that usually gets it wrong with disastrous consequences!

It's ALMOST like the "racism is over / never was real" argument is total bullshit, because when a white girl goes missing, the first thought a mob of people have is "That black kid she hangs out with MUST have kidnapped her!" with no proof whatsoever.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Where was this again? ...Ahh, North Carolina. Yup, that's totally in character for that backwards state.

I am so glad that the family did not surrender their son. Because that sounds like it would have VERY swiftly become a literal lynch mob.

We have seen this shit happen over and over again. Anytime there's a mob of angry armed white guys convinced a black kid did something bad, that kid will either get brutalized and thrown in prison for something they didn't do....Or they'll just get murdered.

And like basically every other time, woooops, turns out the black kid was innocent the entire time. It's almost like vigilante justice is bullshit that usually gets it wrong with disastrous consequences!

It's ALMOST like the "racism is over / never was real" argument is total bullshit, because when a white girl goes missing, the first thought a mob of people have is "That black kid she hangs out with MUST have kidnapped her!" with no proof whatsoever.
AND then it turns out it wasn't even the black kid they were looking for because of the whole " all black people look the same" and they of course have to all know each other so " same difference" to the lynch mob.

This poor kid had to keep chanting his name and the school he goes to and pointing out the sign in his front yard had his name on it to prove he was not the kid they were looking for. He didn't even go to the same school as the people they were looking for. This was so messed up in so many ways.

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
AND then it turns out it wasn't even the black kid they were looking for because of the whole " all black people look the same" and they of course have to all know each other so " same difference" to the lynch mob.

This poor kid had to keep chanting his name and the school he goes to and pointing out the sign in his front yard had his name on it to prove he was not the kid they were looking for. He didn't even go to the same school as the people they were looking for. This was so messed up in so many ways.
Wait wait wait, it goes one level deeper and it wasn't even the kid they were wrongfully looking for, it was SOMEONE ELSE ENTIRELY?!

*slowly facepalms, then has to peek, because I have to be sure that it REALLY is that bad*

Pardon my language but WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

I want everyone involved in this to be charged with some serious fucking crimes, plus a restraining order with ankle bracelets so they can't harass the family any further. I want that entire community to get the message "You mob up to do justice and you will be heartlessly slapped across the face and be seriously punished, so don't fucing do it".

But it's north carolina. I'm not holding my breath.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Why they needs an armed group of 15, I don't know.
It's not uncommon in rural areas for a random group of over a dozen adults to very likely have "some of them armed" (which in this case means 3 of the group), simply because of the frequency of concealed carry, weapons stowed in vehicles, and the like.

Charges really should be brought against each of them for that behavior. You know as well as I do that they all know who was there, and are pretending they don't, they just are not talking.
This. The hardest part will be proving who all was in the mob beyond a reasonable doubt, especially if no one in the mob is talking. Hopefully someone caught them on camera.

Not even a police officer; a correctional officer (i.e. prison guard) who wasn't even in his own jurisdiction. But he had a uniform and a gun, and decided that he was the law wherever he chose to be.
Which is why you fire him and charge him. There's absolutely no way to argue that he's in the right, assuming there's no more to the story than reported.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It's not uncommon in rural areas for a random group of over a dozen adults to very likely have "some of them armed" (which in this case means 3 of the group), simply because of the frequency of concealed carry, weapons stowed in vehicles, and the like.
However, there's no reason for any private citizen to be standing at someone's door brandishing those weapons.