Mondays of Thunder

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Mondays of Thunder

If they can make a movie out of a twenty-year-old toy franchise [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/797-Transformers-Revenge], why shouldn't they make a game out of a twenty-year-old movie? That's the question we were faced with this morning when we opened our mail and found a whole passel of goodies for Piranha Games' upcoming PlayStation Network exclusive, Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition. And the answer we came to? No reason at all!

The Escapist's very own Sack-Boy helped model the officially licensed NASCAR sunglasses as well as the officially unlicensed fuzzy black dice and beer koozie. (Remember, kids: drinking and driving don't mix.) The package also included a copy of the 1990 movie Days of Thunder in which Tom Cruise drives for businessman Randy Quaid in a car built by cranky mechanic Robert Duvall while also getting lessons in manliness from sexy brain surgeon Nicole Kidman and racing as the teammate of the evil Cary Elwes. They just don't make them like this anymore, folks. When you consider that this is the movie that made Tom Cruise leave his Scientologist wife Mimi Rogers and marry Nicole Kidman, we're talking about a piece of Hollywood history here.

The fact sheet that came with the package suggests the game will focus more on the driving bits of the movie and less on the "having sex with your doctor" bits, but we're hopeful that Piranha Games is just holding the good stuff back from a later DLC pack. In the meantime, gamers can content themselves with the knowledge that they can compete against simulations of top NASCAR drivers like Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart on NASCAR Circuit tracks from Daytona to Michigan. Look for Days of Thunder: NASCAR Edition later this month.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
God that was a terrible movie; the (potential) remake would have to try to be worse. I have much more interest in the game than any potential remake.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
AvsJoe said:
I don't find her attractive at all, never have.
I was talking about her intelligence! You have to be very smart to pretend to be a brain surgeon for nearly two hours.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Steve Butts said:
AvsJoe said:
I don't find her attractive at all, never have.
I was talking about her intelligence! You have to be very smart to pretend to be a brain surgeon for nearly two hours.
lol I guess you have a point. She did a pretty decent job passing off as a surgeon; certainly better than Denise Richards trying to be a scientist in TWINE.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Ohcrap. This is going to be such a challenge! How will I remember which way to turn?!

Seriously though, I can't think of a game I'd like to play less than one based off of a terrible 80's movie about one of the arguably most idiotic so-called "sports" America has produced.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
I must fail some essential genetic pre-requisite to care about Nascar... "AND HERE WE GO! A LEFT TURN! AND ANOTHER LEFT TURN! AND A LEFT TURN! AND...WAIT FOR IT!...A LEFT TURN!".

I always get the feeling the winners get a big "Congratulations, you have just mastered a first grade playground skill of running around in fucking circles in a closed track" sign.

So yeah... Bad movie, worse sport... Aiming pretty low from the start aren't we? Not exactly sure how this can possibly make a good game.

MonsterZero74

Jun 22, 2010
Cool stuff, the fuzzy dice get my vote for coolest part of that gift bag.

I also can't see how this will sell a lot, especially with all the good games that are coming out in the next two months. Caliostro summed it up well... Crappy movie and sport won't make a good racing game. They'd sell more if they made a NASCAR game based off of Will Ferrell's "Talladega Nights" Ricky Bobby movie.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
As long as Robert Duvall contributes quips throughout the gameplay experience - preferably of the sort in which he repeatedly tells me not to drop the hammer and then I do it anyway - then this game has my support.

Also, did the developers make any intimations as to whether or not they plan on including a wheelchair racing mini-game between Michael Rooker and Tom Cruise, per the film? Not a make or break for me, but that would be a nice inclusion.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
AvsJoe said:
God that was a terrible movie; the (potential) remake would have to try to be worse. I have much more interest in the game than any potential remake.
Really? I was a kid when I watched it and I loved it! I don't want to take off the nostalgia goggles.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
No mention of Tom Cruise's character's name? Cole Trickle. Oh and Cary Elwes? Russ Wheeler. He is race car driver called Wheeler, brilliant!

OT: I spent a lot of coins on Datona 500 at my local pizza place late at night on the way home from pubs and clubs so I can see the appeal in multiplayer, as it is basically a rolling demolition derby. It's better if you have been drinking though. I'm pretty sure that applies to everything NASCAR.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
You know, I am jealous.

I would gladly send a check to the office for those shades, I'll even pay shipping to the UK.
Dooo eeeet!

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
dogstile said:
AvsJoe said:
Really? I was a kid when I watched it and I loved it! I don't want to take off the nostalgia goggles.
Don't worry, there are no nostalgia goggles. I saw it not six months ago and it was still pure awesomeness.

As a side not to the haters: If you hate on Days of Thunder you're basically hating on Top Gun, and if you're hating on Top Gun, well, then you need to reconsider your purpose in life.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Here's hoping that this latest Days of Thunder game is better than the simply gods-awful movie tie-in game for the NES from back in the day.