Money for Mods: Valve Announces Paid Skyrim Mods

MrPeanut

Jun 18, 2011
UltraPic said:
IamLEAM1983 said:
And nothing of value was lost?

I mean, I've never used the Workshop. I've always used the Nexus Mod Manager. I just don't see Valve growing a monopoly on modding, mostly because there's a bigger and more complex free database's worth of mods on offer.
That's kind of like what gamespy said when valve ditched won and used their own server software, before long people realise running two (resource hog grrr) programmes at once is a pain and eventually valve will fill the gaps with their software and gamespy just dried up With no need of patch hosting and server browsers.
It will probably be Valve on the losing end this time, since (at least for Skyrim), workshop has always been just a small drop in the bucket compared to the mammoth the Nexus is.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
IamLEAM1983 said:
And nothing of value was lost?

I mean, I've never used the Workshop. I've always used the Nexus Mod Manager. I just don't see Valve growing a monopoly on modding, mostly because there's a bigger and more complex free database's worth of mods on offer.
Problem is some modders have already switched "sides" And either made their nexus stuff unavailable or made updates exclusive to the steam workshop. Hell the guy who made midas magic even put two versions of his mod, a paid gold version and a free version with pop up ads.

If this becomes the norm, the future prospects if modding are going to be grim.

SmaMan

Nov 23, 2013
Paying for mods is nothing new. Hell, I grew up with a great paid mod of Wolfenstien in the form of Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold. Thing is, that was officially published by Apogee, after going through much quality control and testing.

Steam needs to run it like that. And not like Early Access/Greenlight where untested crap gets pushed without a second thought.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Valve has shown that they can build up a fully-fledged hat-economy, but what they haven't showed is the ability to properly managing people's creative content, especially content created and submitted by enthusiasts. Steam Green-light might be the most recent, and perhaps most disastrous example, but the oversaturated mess that is Early Access is another one.

If this turns out to be another poorly managed, screw-up that ends up inadvertedly hurting the modding community, question is how much longer all that goodwill is gonna last.