Monster Hunter Movie Teaser Trailer

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

I will say this, I'm impressedthat, if Diablos here is an indication, the monsters will still be the exact same ones from the game. Rathalos will still be Rathalos and so on depending on who's appearing in this movie.

But yes I get it, what's with this US Military looking folks in a Monster Hunter movie?

Yes its Paul W.S. Anderson of the awful Resident Evil Live Action movies. (Even though I kinda liked his first two movies)

Reactions: gorfias

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Milla Jovovich shooting at monsters in the desert? Gee, where have I seen that before?

But yes I get it, what's with this US Military looking folks in a Monster Hunter movie?
Starts out on Earth, Jovovich gets sucked into the MH world, has to defeat the monsters there before they attack Earth or something.

It's not the worst idea in the world, in that it'll make exposition easier, but...

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The monsters in the Resident Evil movies looked like the monsters from Resident Evil but that didn't really help things. Those movies were still awful.

The plot in the Resident Evil game series is awful as well, but it's awful in different, less awful ways.

Also...does Monster Hunter actually have plot?

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Sort of? Much like Soulsborne games, there's a lot of lore lurking in the background for people to piece together, and which suggests that the setting's almost a dead ringer for the kind of post-postapocalyptic worlds that Studio Ghibli is so fond of. You know, tech-heavy arms race led to massive war that devastated the planet and changed it forever, the remnants of humanity have rebuilt and created a new civilization much closer to nature? The modern plots tend to be much more local in scale, tied to the rise of a new generation of Hunters, with the player character usually taking point in discovering some new-ish monsters (usually regarded as myth) that the locals are not prepared to deal with. So plots tend strongly towards "save the town from the new threat" stories.

For example, in Monster Hunter 4, the main plot kicks off with an odd plague that starts affecting the local monsters. Nobody knows anything about this Frenzy Virus, just that records about some great disaster a century or so prior do seem to describe similar events. Regardless, it's having a very pronounced effect on the ecosystem as it's basically super-rabies if super-rabies was more easily transmitted. While it's not fatal in humans, monsters infected with it become hyper aggressive and most tend to die a few days later. Those few that survive get a sizable boost in their abilities. So this is a big problem for the local ecosystem. Turns out that this is due to a hithero unknown monster they dub Gore Magala, which the protagonist ends up encountering and fighting off on several occasions and essentially acts as the central antagonist of the game.

In Monster Hunter World, the plot itself is more in the vein of discovery, with the protagonist being part of the fifth research fleet sent to the "New World" landmass for the sake of advancing knowledge about its ecosystem and why Elder Dragons flock to it every decade or so in what has been dubbed the "elder crossing". When they puzzle it out, they realize that something screwy's going on and they have to intervene in the current Crossing lest a natural disaster be artificially produced that would more or less destroy the "New World".

Monster Hunter doesn't tend towards Final Fantasy style plots where humans with god-complexes take center stage as the antagonists. They tend more towards "we must prevent an invasive species from creating local environmental collapse" or "if we don't drive off this elder dragon, the nearby town will be destoryed".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Fuck WS Anderson. Not seeing it. If I need monster hunting action this badly, I will play the actual games. Not some generic military, straight-to-DVD, PG13, boring, seen-it-a-million times action fest.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Sort of? Much like Soulsborne games, there's a lot of lore lurking in the background for people to piece together, and which suggests that the setting's almost a dead ringer for the kind of post-postapocalyptic worlds that Studio Ghibli is so fond of. You know, tech-heavy arms race led to massive war that devastated the planet and changed it forever, the remnants of humanity have rebuilt and created a new civilization much closer to nature?
Studio Ghibli? Studio Ghibli... o.0'

I didn't realise post-apocalyptic stuff was Studio Ghibli's shtick, like, at all. *Totoro is confused*

OT: Milla Jovovich + Paul WS Anderson is a 'creative' combo that wore out its welcome years ago and exists pretty much solely for the 'so bad it's good' factor (and even that's highly questionable). Jovovich/Besson years were so much better. -_-

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I didn't realise post-apocalyptic stuff was Studio Ghibli's shtick, like, at all. *Totoro is confused*
I think @Asita is confused on this one. Other than Naussica of the Valley of the Wind (during the apocolypse) and Castle in the Sky (ambigously implied to take place before or after the apocolypse. Takes place in the same universe as Naussica). Other than those two, Studio Ghilbi avoids that.

OT: Milla Jovovich + Paul WS Anderson is a 'creative' combo that wore out its welcome years ago and exists pretty much solely for the 'so bad it's good' factor (and even that's highly questionable). Jovovich/Besson years were so much better. -_-
I'll say something unpopular, but I never liked Besson good stuff either. The only thing I liked was Leon and The Transporter. The dude stopped giving a fuck after Transporter.

Last edited:

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The monsters in the Resident Evil movies looked like the monsters from Resident Evil but that didn't really help things. Those movies were still awful.

The plot in the Resident Evil game series is awful as well, but it's awful in different, less awful ways.

Moreso it has world building and some amount of background lore. Almost all of which will almost definitely be left out of this.

As the trailer goes, sure Diablos looks good. From my limited knowledge of both variations of Resident Evil, I guess they're at least aesthetically mroe faithful. But yeah, that premise seems just as dumb in action as it did back on paper when they first announced the concept. Among other things, it creates an unnecessary expositional need for why the monster hunter people can kill taht thing with a sword, but the military weapon from our world is presumably useless..

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Moreso it has world building and some amount of background lore. Almost all of which will almost definitely be left out of this.

As the trailer goes, sure Diablos looks good. From my limited knowledge of both variations of Resident Evil, I guess they're at least aesthetically mroe faithful. But yeah, that premise seems just as dumb in action as it did back on paper when they first announced the concept. Among other things, it creates an unnecessary expositional need for why the monster hunter people can kill taht thing with a sword, but the military weapon from our world is presumably useless..
Another problem I have with this is that it's that not only was all this unnecessary, but now it's another shitty isekai. I am not saying the genre itself is crappy, but their is a huge over saturation of mediocre or bad products.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I say something unpopular, but I never liked Besson good stuff either. The only thing I liked was Leon and The Transporter. The dude stopped giving a fuck after Transporter.
Eh, that's fair and TBH I'm not especially a fan of the Transporter, and the films by him I did enjoy are Jean D'Arc, Fifth Element & Taxi 1/2, but yeah, after that, I'm similarly ambivalent. I've never actually seen Leon, so I can't say about that one.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
When an unexpected sandstorm transports Lt. Artemis (Milla Jovovich) and her unit (TI Harris, Meagan Good, Diego Boneta) to a new world, the soldiers are shocked to discover that this hostile and unknown environment is home to enormous and terrifying monsters immune to their firepower. In their desperate battle for survival, the unit encounters the mysterious Hunter (Tony Jaa), whose unique skills allow him to stay one step ahead of the powerful creatures. As Artemis and Hunter slowly build trust, she discovers that he is part of a team led by the Admiral (Ron Perlman). Facing a danger so great it could threaten to destroy their world, the brave warriors combine their unique abilities to band together for the ultimate showdown.

So at the very least they get sucked into the other world at some point, and there's a threat that possibly brings them to ours, so there's at least that rather than them just suddenly appearing on modern day earth. I can't seem to find the clip, but I swear I remember seeing video of a Rathalos slamming something into a building in a modern city... Either way, this still looks kinda dumb. Surely they could've come up with something better than military themes though? Gotta pander to the generics, I guess

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've never actually seen Leon, so I can't say about that one.
It's a good watch, but I only watched it twice in my entire life. That said, the love for it gets way overblown. That and the reason it is well known is for this memetic line that has gone on for decades:

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Studio Ghibli? Studio Ghibli... o.0'

I think @Asita is confused on this one. Other than Naussica of the Valley of the Wind (during the apocolypse) and Castle in the Sky (ambigously implied to take place before or after the apocolypse. Takes place in the same universe as Naussica). Other than those two, Studio Ghilbi avoids that.
A little, perhaps. I was definitely thinking of Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky, but I think I also must have been lumping in a few non-Ghibli movies that follow those two's general pattern, like Origin: Spirits of the Past.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Reactions: BrawlMan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Wow. WOW. WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Is this like a college undergrad charity pic? Or did the prop team really just go down to the Halloween story? Not that the Resident Evil movies are great, but I actually believed they were holding guns and not floppy rubber props.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Another problem I have with this is that it's that not only was all this unnecessary, but now it's another shitty isekai. I am not saying the genre itself is crappy, but their is a huge over saturation of mediocre or bad products.

That genre or trope essentially predates written literature (at least on the European side, that I'm more familair with (I had to google isekai). So I wouldn't necessarily hold that over them (depending how you view Monster Hunters myriad crossover events, its also arguably canon that other worlds randomly collide into theirs.

The thing is, this is big dumb action. Which is probably all the depth you were going to get out of the source material, setting or world building aside. Why on earth would you need to dump the weird military stuff in. Were dudes with katanas and steampunk machine guns, wingsuits, and transforming battle axes fighting dragons not actiony enough?

I kind of roll back to the American Godzilla movie. Where suddenly they decided it should be the army vs Godzilla in terms of actual battles. As if giant monsters duking it out with each other wasn't such a simple easy premise to make an action film around. And they at least had the excuse that the effects were probably too expensive or not advanced enough to do that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That genre or trope essentially predates written literature (at least on the European side, that I'm more familair with (I had to google isekai). So I wouldn't necessarily hold that over them (depending how you view Monster Hunters myriad crossover events, its also arguably canon that other worlds randomly collide into theirs.
I already know that. Any children's story where the kids go to another world or dimensions were done 100,000Xs a day.

The thing is, this is big dumb action. Which is probably all the depth you were going to get out of the source material, setting or world building aside. Why on earth would you need to dump the weird military stuff in. Were dudes with katanas and steampunk machine guns, wingsuits, and transforming battle axes fighting dragons not actiony enough?
(Weeny voice producer or executive producer) BEECUZ the market shows or the chart sezs dat we Americans like our GUNZ, BEWBS, and XPLOSIONS! All that other stuff is too different and is for weaboos, geeks, and nerds! Not manly enough and too weird for the average movie goer to comprehend. The audience too dumb or too mature for silly fantasy stuff like that!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I kind of roll back to the American Godzilla movie. Where suddenly they decided it should be the army vs Godzilla in terms of actual battles. As if giant monsters duking it out with each other wasn't such a simple easy premise to make an action film around. And they at least had the excuse that the effects were probably too expensive or not advanced enough to do that.
To be fair...

The Japanese Godzilla movies almost always also feature the Japanese military trying to stop Godzilla.

In fact, that's usually the majority of the movie, human characters trying to stop Godzilla or guide Godzilla, and the actual monster fighting monster bits tend to be like 30% of the actual movies.

Mind you, I'm saying that having not watched either of the American Godzilla movies because I don't have any interest in them.