Monster Hunter World gets review bombed by angry Chinese users because of a joke about Chi-knees in Monster Hunter film which has been pulled in China

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

For those who want to see the joke that so offended China

Apparently the Chinese subtitles didn't match the voices on screen which has made it seem like it was trying to slip one past the CCP censors

Well so that's Winnie the Pooh, Peppa Pig, Piglet, South Park, The Simpsons, M*A*S*H* and I'm sure many more things China has banned.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Ooh, the horror. Puns!

On the other hand, they're probably not missing out on much.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wait, I thought China was the barometer for how "non-SJW" a movie was? You know, how China didn't like Star Wars due to how pandering it was to "SJWs". Was I lied to by all those reactionary youtube channels?

Reactions: CaitSeith

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm more perplexed by the "joke". What the fuck does that even mean?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Wait, I thought China was the barometer for how "non-SJW" a movie was? You know, how China didn't like Star Wars due to how pandering it was to "SJWs". Was I lied to by all those reactionary youtube channels?
pretty sure most of them pointed out the funny standard that there was a clear double standard and corporations didn't really care for SJWs idea they just saw it as easy marketing to get a load of idiots to shame and insult anyone critical of films they made by doing something SJW types will emphatically whoop over then present the property as somehow untouchable and beyond criticism. You know like is happening with Doctor Who right now despite Chibnall's pretty awful writing.......

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Apparently it's an old racist joke. I don't really get why because it's probably fallen that far out of use to be the case. It's also pretty dumb.

On the other side, Banning a movie because of a bad joke is stupid(even if the movie might be awful, because it's a video game movie made by the Resident Evil movies crew, so it would seem). Review bombing the associated video game, which as far as I can tell has little if nothing to do with the movie, is even dumber.

So yeah...there ya go.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Well, that's dumb. Both this kerfuffle and the joke that sparked it in the first place.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Apparently it's an old racist joke. I don't really get why because it's probably fallen that far out of use to be the case. It's also pretty dumb.
How is it racist? Genuine question, I can barely understand what they were saying.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Fuck China.

Corporations need to stop catering to that scumbag of a government, especially since it is motivated by greed and greed alone. China is the reason why movies suck now in the first place because China has become the bigger market.

I say fuck em. They dont like it they can make their own piece of shit movies.

What's even the point of review bombing a game thats 3 years old and everyone who cared already knows the game is great? I highly doubt that shit is even real people and is likely just bots doing it.

I hate this planet, where are the aliens?

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
China is non-sjw in concerns of race (they edited out Finn from the poster of starwars cause they don't like seeing black people) and super-sjw in concerns of marxism. So you have SJWs who do this doublethink and ignore one bit in order to further the other bit, such as when the NBA ignores hong kong and pretends to support black people all the while kowtowing to China.

I think their treatment of the uigurs in particular is something that seems anti-sjw, cause they're literal prison camps, but then you reallize this is what communism does too cause they're both authoritarian, so then it starts making sense.

I mean, China banned the english letter N from its social media goliath, because people were describing their dictator as "new mao" in English there. Sounds bout what you'd expect from the censorious SJWs when they're in power lol. They can't handle being made fun of. Oh and lets not forget Winnie the Pooh.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Corporations need to stop catering to that scumbag of a government, especially since it is motivated by greed and greed alone. China is the reason why movies suck now in the first place because China has become the bigger market.
I disagree.

Not that i like movies catering to China specifically. But that movies catering to US tastes only and above all was a welcome development. It is good that movie makers now take more than one audience into account.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm sure there's better reasons to review bomb it to be honest.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

On the other side, Banning a movie because of a bad joke is stupid(even if the movie might be awful, because it's a video game movie made by the Resident Evil movies crew, so it would seem). Review bombing the associated video game, which as far as I can tell has little if nothing to do with the movie, is even dumber.

So yeah...there ya go.
Apparently according to some other people the Chinese translation on the film apparently was a idiom about how Chinese men shouldn't kneel to authority or something. So CCP boot lickers are taking it as some-one was trying to take shots at the CCP by telling Chinese men not to knee to its authority or something.

How is it racist? Genuine question, I can barely understand what they were saying.
Ok first you need a video on the sort of fully rhyme / thing

Basic idea people using their fingers to make there eyes look stereotypically like those of another demographic and that's offensive because it's seen as mocking them. Look we're in an age where people are getting pissy over haircuts most of the yelling racist is based on flimsy justifications.

Should've gone for the winnie the pooh gag. Fucking amateurs.
I want a film to do such a joke but the joke is in the Western version on a shelf in he background it's all the Winnie the Pooh characters lined up. In the Chinese version there's Tigger and Eeyore and a deliberate gap, possibly with the characters looking sad.

I think their treatment of the uigurs in particular is something that seems anti-sjw, cause they're literal prison camps, but then you reallize this is what communism does too cause they're both authoritarian, so then it starts making sense.
Also weirdly it's the Rupublicans blocking the cotton suggested to have been processed in said camps while SJWs are screaming that it's racist to block the cotton made in slave labour camps and it should all be allowed in. It was also Anti-SJWs who first spotted and brought up Disney thanking the camp administration in the live action Mulan.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

I say fuck em. They dont like it they can make their own piece of shit movies.
Disagree there. Now, China might be the excuse people are using for movies being bad ("Oh, we wanted to do this or that, but it would hurt our profits in China so we didn't"), and there may be some truth to that, but it's hardly the sole problem.

I'm perfectly fine with not making movies for the Chinese market (or any specific market), it would improve things, just not fix everything.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
*looks at thread about cancel culture in China* then *looks at cancel culture of the left and right in the US*
Yep. Authoritarianism is bad