Montreal Police "Investigate" School Shooting Game

Tactyk

Mar 18, 2010
This just in
Games are not art

back to you California

Just because you don't like it (neither do I) doesn't mean it does not have the right to exist. To say otherwise belittles the whole

Nov 5, 2007
Tactyk said:
This just in
Games are not art

back to you California

Just because you don't like it (neither do I) doesn't mean it does not have the right to exist. To say otherwise belittles the whole
Nobody says it doesn't have the right to exist. But we shouldn't just look at it, say "yep, that's art" and move on.

Wake up people, the world is not black and white. It's not either all games are art or no games are art. Some are, some aren't and you have a varying degree in between. That games is not art. There's no message, there's no redeeming value, there's nothing there that is remotely artistic. It's a shoot-em-up that uses a tragic event as an hook to get traffic.

Shit, nobody defended Ed Wood or feels the need to defend Uwe Boll to make sure movies keep their artistic status.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"It can hurt people. If someone just falls upon this site that was actually there they could be reliving something that's like really traumatizing in their life," added fellow student Serina Galle. "No one wants to relive that."
It's totally not the same as news outlets spreading the news over and over. Totally not the same.

Nov 5, 2007
Milkman Dan said:
Andy Chalk said:
"It can hurt people. If someone just falls upon this site that was actually there they could be reliving something that's like really traumatizing in their life," added fellow student Serina Galle. "No one wants to relive that."
It's totally not the same as news outlets spreading the news over and over. Totally not the same.
No it's not.

Will the Great

Dec 31, 2009
Milkman Dan said:
Andy Chalk said:
Good eye, it's not. The purpose of a news outlet (a reputable one, ie not Fox News) is to inform its audience of recent happenings. The purpose of a flash game is to entertain.

Tactyk

Mar 18, 2010
ShadowKirby said:
... It's not either all games are art or no games are art. ...
Shit, nobody defended Ed Wood ...
you know except that one movie by the same name

and anyone who can get that out of BloodRayne certainly has some sort of creativity in them

If we're not even going to discuss the possibility of something within a medium having some intrinsic value then we are claiming the whole medium as defunct. Sorry, just the way I see it and I don't define art the way you do.
If an exploitation movie like Hostel can be art I see no reason this tasteless stuff cannot be

So where do you draw the line on art?
If its done with the intent of expressing something, ANYTHING, it is, in my mind, art.

You can just be offended all you want, it won't change what people do

Nov 5, 2007
Tactyk said:
ShadowKirby said:
... It's not either all games are art or no games are art. ...
Shit, nobody defended Ed Wood ...
you know except that one movie by the same name

and anyone who can get that out of BloodRayne certainly has some sort of creativity in them

If we're not even going to discuss the possibility of something within a medium having some intrinsic value then we are claiming the whole medium as defunct. Sorry, just the way I see it and I don't define art the way you do.
If an exploitation movie like Hostel can be art I see no reason this tasteless stuff cannot be

So where do you draw the line on art?
If its done with the intent of expressing something, ANYTHING, it is, in my mind, art.

You can just be offended all you want, it won't change what people do
Alright, it can be art if you want it. It doesn't stop that shit from being offensive and I have a responsibility to call it out because unless you can tell me what this game is trying to pass as a message (I really hope someone actually tries to argue that with me), I want game express something interesting in a meaningful way, not just take a tragic event and "make it fun".

Making something fun out of a tragic event is not art, it's provocation. If someone made a tasteless comedy about a school shooting (but hey "it's fun"), not even the most fervent defender of movies as art would stand up for that shit.

It's not even a "art/not-art debate", it's about defending free speech only when there's a speech to be defended. That game has no speech. It's a dumb kid pissing his name on a grave.

KingArmery

Feb 3, 2010
SamFisher202 said:
Just my two cents, but the art medium that is video games is being used to depict a tragic event that occurred here in real life. I support this kind of artwork, and therefore agree with the creator. He did nothing wrong here, and it would be wrong to suppress a work of art no matter how controversial it is.
The one of the biggest problems I seem to be having with it is the title of the game: Dawson College Massacre!. That exclamation mark takes away any seriousness he claims the game is about. He is just trying to make publicity off of it, and although I do agree that it should not be suppressed, I think it should be ignored.

Tactyk

Mar 18, 2010
So it has the right to exist no matter how offensive.

what's the point of this argument now?

Its tasteless sure, but it's the market's job to punish it not someone shouting about it. That will only bring it more publicity.

Provocation is still a form of expression and like I said, you can be offended all you want but it doesn't change anything, it still has a right to exist. It isn't your job to defame it, and all you do by trying is bring more attention to it. I don't see proper film critics talking about exploitation films. Its a parallel market that they don't care for, so they bring it no attention, so let this little game die off on its own and stop shouting into the darkness about how its lack of class is somehow a call to arms against it.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Yeah, I like the idea- supposing you can trust the developer's description- but a SPECIFIC shooting? No way, Jose. Even I can see that this was bad execution.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
You know what? This article was reminding me of that one guy who made that game about the Virginia Tech shooting. I think it was called "V-Tech Rampage".

However, here's one big difference between the Dawson College game's creator and the V-Tech game's creator:

Andy Chalk said:
He also said he was sorry if people are "offended in some way" by the game.
At least Dawson College Massacre!'s Virtuaman made an apology.

On the other hand, I read that the guy who created that V-Tech game said he'd take down the game and apologize... IF people gave him $3000. Now THAT was a guy at risk of burning in hell.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
I'm old enough to know that there's thing that make people laugh or at least giggle. One of this is pissing peoples off and watching people getting their torch ready. As such @Andy Chalk, congratulation for giving attention to that Dumbass.

WanderingFool said:
I blame fucking Newgrounds... rarely does anything good come from there.
I blame video games. No really, what does theses thing ever do right?
*Roll my eyes at post*
Really, not even a little bit of credit to the guy that; Had the idea, Made the graphic, Recherches the pics, weaved a narrative and put the project together. No sir, it's all Newgrounds fault. Seriously, I don't think that you know how making a Flash project and posting it work. Posting it to a website like Newgrounds is the FINAL STEP.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
RollForInitiative said:
I'm going to put aside my own views for a moment purely for the purpose of playing devil's advocate and just wonder, aloud, how many people that find this "disturbing" or "disgusting" are also the people that feel that the Taliban elements of the new Medal of Honor title or the controversial intro of the last Modern Warfare title are just fine.

Yes, the latter may not be based exactly on a real life event, but it's close enough in the end. So, while we're laughing at how ludicrous it is that politicians are calling for the ban of Medal of Honor or that military base stores refuse to stock it, and while we're turning up our noses at the sickening nature of the game mentioned here, take a moment to look in the mirror and recognize our own hypocrisy.

Just saying. After all, it's this mentality that ultimately got "Six Days in Fallujah" canned.
I gotta say man, You have a professional army fighting one another, and then you have a man walking into a school and shooting students. One is a deranged man with no cause shooting to inflict pain and suffering. The other is two factions fighting for their cause. Even the "no Russian" level had a plan behind it in the terrorist's eyes.
Maybe in narrative, but the real goal was to shock people and get coverage. Isn't what the kid, VirtuaDumbass, wanted in the first place? Even if you make the distinction between Army and Killer, He does have a point. Mind you, not a big one but i do seem to recall some of the officer of Fallujah being honored to be in a game or at least to have their story out. It's mostly parent and family of their fallen comrades that did that game in for, and I quote, "poor taste".

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
dragonslayer32 said:
This is just sick, I for one don't think it should be allowed.
Go to Newgrounds and vote. If the game get a really low score, it will be trash from the site.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
joshuaayt said:
Yeah, I like the idea- supposing you can trust the developer's description- but a SPECIFIC shooting? No way, Jose. Even I can see that this was bad execution.
I don't know if i should bother with the drum set and just hurt you, as you hurt me, for that last pun.

Akalistos

Apr 23, 2010
Vanguard_Ex said:
Absolute bullshit. He didn't make this game to draw attention to shit, he just made it because he thought it was good shock value and now it's bitten him in the ass with the realisation that actually he's mocking a serious event that doesn't need to be immortalised in 8 bit graphics.
Basically, the typical Troll behavior. And yes, if you do something to with shock value, your first thing on your mind is to let the whole world see it.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Akalistos said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
RollForInitiative said:
I'm going to put aside my own views for a moment purely for the purpose of playing devil's advocate and just wonder, aloud, how many people that find this "disturbing" or "disgusting" are also the people that feel that the Taliban elements of the new Medal of Honor title or the controversial intro of the last Modern Warfare title are just fine.

Yes, the latter may not be based exactly on a real life event, but it's close enough in the end. So, while we're laughing at how ludicrous it is that politicians are calling for the ban of Medal of Honor or that military base stores refuse to stock it, and while we're turning up our noses at the sickening nature of the game mentioned here, take a moment to look in the mirror and recognize our own hypocrisy.

Just saying. After all, it's this mentality that ultimately got "Six Days in Fallujah" canned.
I gotta say man, You have a professional army fighting one another, and then you have a man walking into a school and shooting students. One is a deranged man with no cause shooting to inflict pain and suffering. The other is two factions fighting for their cause. Even the "no Russian" level had a plan behind it in the terrorist's eyes.
Maybe in narrative, but the real goal was to shock people and get coverage. Isn't what the kid, VirtuaDumbass, wanted in the first place? Even if you make the distinction between Army and Killer, He does have a point. Mind you, not a big one but i do seem to recall some of the officer of Fallujah being honored to be in a game or at least to have their story out. It's mostly parent and family of their fallen comrades that did that game in for, and I quote, "poor taste".
He got it a bit of coverage,but do you really want to learn about a College shooting from an "Interactive Experiance"? Alot of people are just getting over what happened there. Many people are still shocked. I know it's been a good 4 years or so, but think of the shooting at another Montreal school: Polytechnique. It's been forever and we all remember.

The people who know about the shooting know about it. the news will mention it from time to time and remind us of the tragedy we faced here in montreal. We do not need this mockery of a game. A girl died. He's pissing on her grave, saying "Now other people can have fun shooting pixelated versions of you"

THe public doesn't need bullshit like this