Mordheim - City of the Damned Review - Never Fight Alone

Nick Monroe

Oct 8, 2015
Mordheim - City of the Damned Review - Never Fight Alone

A comet approaches, one said to foretell the coming of a golden age for the Empire. Instead, the comet crashes into Mordheim and kills thousands and thousands of people. Now loot the city.

Read Full Article

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
First Vermintide and now this turn out to be good games? I think Games Workshop's gamble of being generous with giving out it's IP rights to small studios is paying off.

Definitely looking into getting this one now.

Aug 31, 2012
Yup, will be picking this up. Didn't play vermintide for very long, just not my kind of game. This on the other hand is right up my street.
If only space hulk ascension hadn't been left with half the missions borked by the last patch and then left unfixed I'd have enough GW TBS to last until Total Warhammer is remotely playable sometime in 2017.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Slight correction here:

It was the coming of the comet in the night sky that made mortheims populace go all bathist crazy hedonistic bonkers. They thought that their god sigmar was comming back to them to lead the empire to a new golden age and simply lost their marbles (as citizens of the empire tend to do on a regular basis)

Only the sisters of sigmar in their cloister in the middle of the city knew that this comet wasnt sigmar comming back but a big chunk of Morrsleib, the moon of the warhammer world, comming down and that it would destroy the city. So they locked themselves up in their cloister and prayed, their combined prayers saving them from the destruction that ensued.

Since morrsleib is entirely made up out of warpstone, a potent magic enhancing allbeit corrupting alchemical substance, everyone and their mother stormed into the cursed and warped city to try and get rich... most of them died horrible painfull deaths.

I really like the story about mordheim and was really disapointed once games workshop dropped the support for the system (wich happened rather quickly over here in germany, in a matter of a year it was gone from their own magazine) so its awesome that theres a game about it now.

Just wished there where more warbands available then mercenary, sisters, cultists and skaven since in the tabletop you also had vampires and witch hunters in the base game. (and later there where rules from dwarfs and elfs to a canrival of nurgle the god of sickness and pestilence and pirates!)

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
They changed warpstone to wyrdstone? I'm sure there must be a reason for that.

If it has a strong singleplayer, then I'm in.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I actually bought this ages ago when it was in early access, and at the time I was quite disappointed by how little content there was. However, since then I've seen massive update after massive update come in for the game, but I've never actually played it since that first time. I probably should give it another go (and hope that it's better optimised than last time, as well).

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
vallorn said:
First Vermintide and now this turn out to be good games? I think Games Workshop's gamble of being generous with giving out it's IP rights to small studios is paying off.
And then we have Battlefleet Gothic next year, and of course Total Warhammer looms on the horizon.

Not only that, but GW has recently decided to resume supporting the tabletop versions of all these games. It's honestly kind of weird to see them making smart business decisions for once.

008Zulu said:
Probably to differentiate it from the Warp of 40k.

Sep 24, 2008
Ok, been wanting to pick this game up, and I think I will.

I'm going to say that Warhammer is officially the best Video Game Franchise out there and Games Workshop needs to devote more of it's brand to being a video game giant.

And I say this with the fact that almost every game iteration the Warhammer Label tried their hand with has been a runaway success. There are stumbles, to be sure. But Warhammer RTS are still some of the gold standard of the genre, Space Marine was a critical hit that I don't think even Relic saw coming, Vermintide is putting Left4Dead to shame (though it's been a few years)... There is just a wide berth of things the two combined IPs can do and do well.

And not only do well, but you get to pick your poison for each flavor. I'd love another L4D time Shoot and Scoot. But it doesn't have to be the Age of Sigmar with the next one. We can either have the Horus Heresy or Plan 40k. you can be any one of the factions. You can do a single enemy like Vermintide, or a Mash of Necrons to Eldar for 40k.

You can even go super crazy and make a fighting game with the IP. It even sounds weird typing, but get Iron Galaxy and just even throw in the Primarchs. Too big? Put in The Chapter Masters. Completely Iron Galaxy the shit out of this and make it a Killer Instinct thing. Even season is a new faction. Start with the Space Marines. Season 2 we get the Eldar. Season 3, make it the Orcs. Put in the ultimate Keep away characters with the Tau in Season 4. If done well, it would earn my money every time.

There's just so much variety with the IP that you can't get with Call of Duty, Halo, XCom, Street Fighter. There's so much Lore that almost anything you want to focus on, from the Micro to the Macro, you can get a good game out of it. You think you can't get an "Elite Dangerous" game out of Warhammer? Wrong. A "Twisted Metal" type racer? well, we got Dark Gods and every faction has mounted units. Magic up a world from the Eye of Terror and capture the best riders of each race. Make them fight for their freedom. Calypso would shit his pants. A 4x game? Can you think of Lore better suited for that?

I really love the IP is where I'm getting at. It's so suited for Video gaming.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Maphysto said:
vallorn said:
And then we have Battlefleet Gothic next year, and of course Total Warhammer looms on the horizon.

Not only that, but GW has recently decided to resume supporting the tabletop versions of all these games. It's honestly kind of weird to see them making smart business decisions for once.

008Zulu said:
Probably to differentiate it from the Warp of 40k.
I know! It's absurd and it's the first time in years I've been interested in one of their products that isn't a Black Library novel!

Also, it was originally called Wyrdstone in the Mordheim board game instead of Warpstone. It's the only place it was called that I think.

Zelderahn

Feb 19, 2014
Been playing it for around twelve hours now and.. I like it, but there's this piece of niggling annoyance:

I don't think I've ever put the game down with a positive mood. It's always some extreme case of RNG (missing 3 times in a row with 95% hit chance) or the Hammersisters wrecking my front-line head-on in a single brutal charge that causes me to alf+f4 from a feel of sheer arbitrary cheapness.

I'm working hard to like it, and I've tried many builds and playing ultra conservatively, but with how the game builds up each engagement with the rather ponderous movement/exploration mechanic (I'd have loved a top down X-com view, using the mouse), cheap failures balloon into dramatic catastrophies.

I think I made a mistake picking it up for full price, should've waited for an impressive sale and possible rebalancing patches to get a better experience.

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
Zelderahn said:
Been playing it for around twelve hours now and.. I like it, but there's this piece of niggling annoyance:

I don't think I've ever put the game down with a positive mood. It's always some extreme case of RNG (missing 3 times in a row with 95% hit chance) or the Hammersisters wrecking my front-line head-on in a single brutal charge that causes me to alf+f4 from a feel of sheer arbitrary cheapness.

I'm working hard to like it, and I've tried many builds and playing ultra conservatively, but with how the game builds up each engagement with the rather ponderous movement/exploration mechanic (I'd have loved a top down X-com view, using the mouse), cheap failures balloon into dramatic catastrophies.

I think I made a mistake picking it up for full price, should've waited for an impressive sale and possible rebalancing patches to get a better experience.
Oh, it's not the RNG. The game just flat-out cheats. AI warbands get significant bonuses to their health, and I'm thoroughly convinced that they get invisible buffs to damage and accuracy, too.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
My issue with the game so far: scaling enemies. I'm not talking about enemy warband matching your warband numbers. I like that because it creates a covert difficulty selector. What I'm talking about is how they will match the enemy type too. I decided I was going to go top heavy and got to the point where I didn't bring any henchmen, only my leader and heroes. The enemy matched that quality. The difficulty didn't change. It wasn't easier and it wasn't harder. This is disappointing as it makes little to no difference whether you run all heroes or all henchmen. I'd like it to be easier or harder when you go either way.

Another gripe: They do a great job with the tutorial...and then all of a sudden it falls off the face of the planet. A shitload of things are left unexplained and confusing.