More California quotas

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
This is a sub-forum for current events sir. The criteria for a discussion here is.... it being a current event. How many other things have we discussed here that had no bearing on any of us? Why aren't you giving the same snide remarks to Agema, Kae, or Trunkage for them talking about American politics all the time when they don't even live in the USA? Like, what?
To be fair, the global reach of the USA is such that a lot of American politics does affect us.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
To be fair, the global reach of the USA is such that a lot of American politics does affect us.
Well yes. And California is a state that has a lot of influence on the rest of the country so it makes sense to be interested in what they're doing.

I just wanted to make the point that if it's somehow supposed to be irrelevant to me, an American, what another American state is doing with its laws then what does that say about all the other things we talk about here in Current Events that have no immediate relevance to a lot of people that talk about them?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So... the Farrakhanians aren't racist? You better tell the Sothern Poverty Law Centre, who usually tracks these things.
The Nation of Islam cannot be racist. Prejudiced, yes, but not racist. Racism describes a system of power. As whites hold political power in the United States, the Nation cannot be racist, as they lack the political power to enforce their racism.

It is known.

What about China against the Uygurs? Tibetans? Africans? By your definition, that cant be racist.
They cannot be racist. Xenophobic, yes, but not racist. Racism is only 500 years old, and is an exclusive European invention. Racism did not exist prior to this, but only xenophobia. And as China does not run the world the way white men do (who are mostly straight and cis-gendered), China's actions cannot be described as racist, but only xenophobic.

It is known.

Modi against Muslims? You'd better tell those millions of Indians that protested that situation
Islam is not a race. However, I do admit that by writing that, I have conveyed my own racism. But while Modi can be Islamophobic, he cannot be racist.

It is known.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The Nation of Islam cannot be racist. Prejudiced, yes, but not racist. Racism describes a system of power. As whites hold political power in the United States, the Nation cannot be racist, as they lack the political power to enforce their racism.

It is known.

They cannot be racist. Xenophobic, yes, but not racist. Racism is only 500 years old, and is an exclusive European invention. Racism did not exist prior to this, but only xenophobia. And as China does not run the world the way white men do (who are mostly straight and cis-gendered), China's actions cannot be described as racist, but only xenophobic.

It is known.

Islam is not a race. However, I do admit that by writing that, I have conveyed my own racism. But while Modi can be Islamophobic, he cannot be racist.

It is known.
You and I have very different definitions of racism.

I will agree that whites can enforce their racism in the US. That doesnt make the Nation stating they want to kill whites not racist. Especially when they've killed whites.

Everyone who isn't Han thinks Han Chinese are racist. Whatever you're going on about, its just nonsense.You know, how a bunch of people pretend that the US isn't racist. It's just propaganda

Yes, you probably got me on the India one. Mainly because they are of the same 'race' as Modi

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

I will agree that whites can enforce their racism in the US. That doesnt make the Nation stating they want to kill whites not racist. Especially when they've killed whites.

Everyone who isn't Han thinks Han Chinese are racist. Whatever you're going on about, its just nonsense.You know, how a bunch of people pretend that the US isn't racist. It's just propaganda

Yes, you probably got me on the India one. Mainly because they are of the same 'race' as Modi
...you do realize that I was being sarcastic, right?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
...you do realize that I was being sarcastic, right?
No I did not.

Mainly it's down to ’It is known’. It has been used by some people in a not ironic fashion lately. I shouldn't have assumed you were being real

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
No I did not.

Mainly it's down to ’It is known’. It has been used by some people in a not ironic fashion lately. I shouldn't have assumed you were being real
The fact that any sane, reasonable would seriously consider such insane, unreasonable claims is a testament to how many insane, unreasonable claims have infiltrated our collective consciousnesses.

It's a clown world. Right is wrong and up is down.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
No I did not.

Mainly it's down to ’It is known’. It has been used by some people in a not ironic fashion lately.
So, something that starts off super serious, then becomes non-serious, is now serious again?

Le sigh...

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
This is a sub-forum for current events sir. The criteria for a discussion here is.... it being a current event. ....
Okay let me re-phrase that.
Why is this an issue of importance to you enough to be remarked upon?
Where did you learn of it?
What level of derision and disgust did you feel coursing through your body as you heard about it?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So, something that starts off super serious, then becomes non-serious, is now serious again?

Le sigh...
I'd say its more likely two different sets of people watched GoT and took it different ways. I dont have any evidence that the same people who took it as a meme were the same people who took it serious

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
That was rather the point. I take it you've never dealt with the folks who use a "sociological" definition of racism that differs from the more colloquial definition specifically in that it argues that "power + privilege" is required, then defines power as something uniquely held by white folks (sometimes generally, sometimes they'll include specifying within western first world democracies?. The Nation of Islam thereby cannot be racists because they aren't white, therefore do not have any power and thus cannot be racist by definition. China against the Uygurs et al may or may not be racist depending on the individual invoking said definition because while Han Chinese certainly have power within the region, they aren't white and thus might not be deemed to be the ones in power globally, thus making them definitionally incapable of racism.