More Epic Mickey Rumors Surface

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
More Epic Mickey Rumors Surface

You saw the leak of concept art for what appears to be Deus Ex creator Warren Spector's project for Disney, now hear what the rumor mill is saying Epic Mickey might play like.

Earlier [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93501-Concept-Art-Surfaces-For-Disney-Steampunk-Epic-Mickey] this week when concept art surfaced for what most everyone is pretty convinced is Warren Spector's long-in-the-works project at Junction Point for Disney, we put it pretty plainly when we said it looked "awesome. Really, really awesome."

Well, elegantly surreal art is one thing, but awesomeness in a game can't thrive on nice paintings alone. Will Epic Mickey play as well as its concept art looks? Judging from some rumored info via CVG [http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=220427], I'm hopeful.

Here's what a source told the site: Epic Mickey is a Wii-exclusive game where you "paint your way through levels" with, duh, the Wii Remote. It's not just painting though - you also draw, etch and even erase parts of levels as you go on your merry way. Sounds like some meta-tastic crossover of Okami and Looney Tunes classic "Duck Amuck [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oRIxYUMBtA]."

There's also some info on the story as well. Apparently it's going to center on some of the Disney characters that time forgot who are after Mickey for stealing the fame that was rightly their own. Again, sounds very meta and playful in its treatment of the Disney legacy (which is something the art definitely showed as well).

This all sounds fairly convincing, though naturally you never know. We've contacted Disney for their take, though we're not getting our hopes up.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
If someone could please describe to me how this drawing thing works?

Looks good, for now.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
A Wii-exclusive?! I'm actually excited to hear that. I knew you were a good investment little buddy!

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
If it is anything like that episode then i am so getting this!!

Ain't I a stinka?

RedPandaMan

I bought this to skip ads.
Oct 23, 2008
Wii-exclusive, hmm. I might actually have to buy a Wii now, if this game turns out any good, because its concept art looks amazing.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
RedPandaMan said:
Wii-exclusive, hmm. I might actually have to buy a Wii now, if this game turns out any good, because its concept art looks amazing.
Me too. Damn it. I've got university in September as well. :(

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Well with the success of Kingdom Hearts, I could see why Disney would want to branch out and try something new. I just hope it has a solid story and controls. The idea of using your imagination to dynamically recreate a level to solve a problem sounds like it could be awesome. Let's just hope it's not just a Crayon Physics ripoff with Disney characters.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Obscure Disney characters are after Mickey hu?

Any idea's people? I don't nearly enough about Disney to guess. Maybe some fantasia characters?

heliosa

Jul 24, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:

Any idea's people? I don't nearly enough about Disney to guess. Maybe some fantasia characters?
Right Now I'm picturing a bunch of dancing brooms beating the shit out of Mickey Mouse.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
If Chernabog shows up, expect many recurring nightmares in the children of the coming generation. I know his appearance in Kingdom Hearts scared many witless, especially given that he isn't recorded into the game logs or mentioned by any character again. He shows, does his piece, you fight him, drive him back, and then the game continues.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
heliosa said:
SomeBritishDude said:

Right Now I'm picturing a bunch of dancing brooms beating the shit out of Mickey Mouse.
Great minds think alike.

Apr 17, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
heliosa said:
SomeBritishDude said:

Great minds think alike.
How about things get really meta and you play as Steamboat Willy chasing after his future self?

E-mantheseeker

Nov 29, 2008
A new reason to like my Wii, hopefully it's not a Kingdom Hearts rip-off and the drawing aspect doesn't get stale

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed by the way the game will be played. I was expecting an action-rpg of sorts.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Here's what a source told the site: Epic Mickey is a Wii-exclusive game where you "paint your way through levels" with, duh, the Wii Remote. It's not just painting though - you also draw, etch and even erase parts of levels as you go on your merry way. Sounds like some meta-tastic crossover of Okami and Looney Tunes classic "Duck Amuck."

There's also some info on the story as well. Apparently it's going to center on some of the Disney characters that time forgot who are after Mickey for stealing the fame that was rightly their own. Again, sounds very meta and playful in its treatment of the Disney legacy (which is something the art definitely showed as well)
If only someone had PREDICTED this... oh wait.

TsunamiWombat said:
*throws on gypsy hat*

I'm going to predict this takes place in some sort of dysotopian Disney World and it is your job, as Mickey, to restore it from bizzare rapture-esque hellscape to lovable kid funnable Disney World with...I dunno, your magical wii widgit or something.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Between this and Scribblenauts it seems like nintendo is really into this whole paint/write your way throughout the game idea. Though, seeing as both games look fantastic, they might just have a successful experiment here.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Wii-exclusive? I cannot but feel pissed off about this. I saw those screen-shots and thought 'holy crap, this will look ridiculously good on my 360'. I wouldn't mind if it was even a PS3 exclusive, since I could hear about it and see the gorgeus footage.

Instead it's a Wii exclusive. And a game this promising dropped onto the Wii's lap is just irritating. I don't have a Wii, and I don't plan on getting one any time soon. But I thought this game showed a lot of promise and now I don't know if I'm going to play it.

I guess I'm just being selfishly shallow, and I'm sure this will turn out good in the end, but I just thought the idea looked pretty sweet from that concept art posted a few days ago. Maybe they'll port it to the PS2 later...

[edit]: sorry about any probable errors here, I'm a little drunk at the moment.