More EVE Online Shenanigans: GoonSwarm Ganks Band Of Brothers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
More EVE Online Shenanigans: GoonSwarm Ganks Band Of Brothers

There's been a lot of action in Band of Brothers [http://www.eve-online.com/].

Details are still a bit scarce, but apparently The Mittani, leader of the Goonfleet Intelligence Agency, managed to convince a very high-ranking director in Band of Brothers to turn traitor and join GoonSwarm. Which in itself is bad enough, but according to a Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=57098] reports, he brought trillions of Band of Brother's ISK, the in-game currency, with him.

And that's not all. GoonSwarm has a long and not-entirely-pleasant history with the (previously) larger and more powerful BoB, it seems, and once the alliance recognized the full extent of the opportunity before it, it went to work. First came the entire capital fleet of Black Nova Corporation, a central player in the BoB alliance, amounting to roughly 15 fully-equipped dreadnoughts, along with "hundreds and hundreds" of other ships and several stacks of fuel, all stolen and transferred to GoonSwarm by the defector.

Then, turning the screws even further, the turncoat actually disbanded the entire BoB alliance, allowing GoonSwarm to seize the name; former Band of Brothers members can reform an alliance, but the BoB name is permanently lost to them. Even the private Band of Brothers alliance forums have been laid bare to GoonSwarm, which has archived all of them and intends to open them to the public at some point in the future.

"Today we destroyed BoB" The Mittani wrote in the EVE Online forums [http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=990381&page=1]. "Thanks for the free capfleet towers and ISK."

"Barros de la jefes more like barros de la 0wned," he added cryptically.

Some players seem to feel that the sheer magnitude of the destruction of Band of Brothers may be enough to drive here [http://www.ccpgames.com/].

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
As hilarious as this is, you have to imagine, something like this could possible happen one day. Until then, though, it will continue to be hilarious.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
A lot of us have been discussing this for the better part of the day already, but so the rest of you get a good idea of what the scope of this victory is, allow me to post these two maps:

As you can see, the large blue blob that used to be the Band of Brothers is gone. That incredibly long list going across the left of the 2nd map lists the day's territorial losses. Over three-fourth of those entries mark a loss of BoB territory. Other factions are already taking advantage of a complete lack of Alliance presence in that sector of space and are going in to take what they can get.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Milkman Dan said:
Goonswam... I assume those guys are from Somethingawful.com?
Yup, I'm not sure of the specifics but GoonSwarm and GoonFleet have their roots in SA.

Wolvaroo

Jan 1, 2008
It's only boring if you make it that way. EVE give you the tools to do whatever you want but most WoW kiddies try to grasp at their magical guiding hand and fail then quit.

Heck if you looking for more "traditional" MMORPG mechanics the different ship types that excel with certain modules are like your "classes". EVE has tanks, healers, buffers, debuffers, DPS, and much more.

If shooting mining lasers at floating rocks all day isn't your cup of tea, don't do it. Go pew-pews in some lowsec space or even run missions in highsec if pvp isn't for you. Don't want to mine or pewpew? Become a trader and make a fortune through careful manipulation of the market. Or even make some isk by being a player contracted courier and relocate assets for those who are too busy or too lazy to do it themselves. Or just grind some on some rats all day.

EVE isn't for everyone, but there IS something for everyone. The sooner you figure out what you want from EVE, the sooner you'll be entranced by it like the rest of us.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
i'm a new player in EVE, and this is one of the reasons i joined... massive political intrigue and drama! i'm not really skilled enough yet to join in on some of these antics, but i eagerly await the day that i am... i hope that CCP never feels the need to step in and try to regulate this sort of activity... i think it's great, and one of the things that sets EVE apart from other MMOs.....

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
One, it's a matter of opinion as to whether the game is bad or not, because it isn't one of those things where it's like a Uwe Boll movie and down to the cellular level filled with liquid... terribleness (hey, it's a word!).

Two, GoonSwarm, from what I understand and have been told, is a branch of SomethingAwful members who have established themselves rather deeply in the EVE Online universe. And they're fucking awesome.

Three, this is amazing. Makes me wish I hadn't passed up the free re-subscription opportunity back in January.

Four, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS.

BlackIronGuardian

Dec 26, 2008
And people question if history repeats itself. For fuck's sake, they don't even have to be REAL and empires rise and fall.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Is there anyway to get somewhere in this game without joining a corp and laying yourself to risk of losing all your money in a fued you didn't pick?

I mean, is there a way to stay OUT of all the fueding and subterfuge?

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Is there anyway to get somewhere in this game without joining a corp and laying yourself to risk of losing all your money in a fued you didn't pick?

Stay in the default NPC corps that have none of these things, and work with people in them on individual/small group basis. This gives me some of the best times I have in eve.

EDIT: Also, Community 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.86745], News Room 1000+. Good thing you posted Mittani's statements though.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
TsunamiWombat said:

You don't HAVE to put anything into a corp you join.

The fact that 13.8 trillion isk was in the corp just shows you how these peeps put too many eggs in one basket.

Bukowski

Feb 6, 2009
I can't play any online games anymore unless its with Goons. They just seem to have more fun.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Hmmm... sounds like another exploitation of faulty hierarchy mechanics.

In real life, it's would be a bit harder for Google (say) to get Bill Gates (say) to hand over the Redmont Studios and all the cash (say) just by "turning him" (that you really really love me).

Just another example of how EVE's basic org mechanics are open to abuse time after time.

BTW I feel that in most games, it's the abusable mechanics that eventually become the game - for example in EVE it's the case of fooling one guy to bring down hundreds. In the old quake it was rocket jumping etc etc

One thing I always admired about Blizzard is that their games were seldom abusable in creative ways (though WoW has had its moments), so you pretty much played the way you were "meant" to.

Which made them boring for me. Go figure.