Morrowind suddenly slow on Xbox, help?

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
It's on xbox 360. The controls when I'm working with the main menu are totally unresponsive, but sometimes mashing A eventually loads the top save file, and I can load into my current game from there. Also, it seems the FPS rate has dropped sharply all around (turning off shadows helped a little). The controls start working again during gameplay. Help? I don't understand why I'd have this problem with a console...

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
renegade7 said:
It's on xbox 360. The controls when I'm working with the main menu are totally unresponsive, but sometimes mashing A eventually loads the top save file, and I can load into my current game from there. Also, it seems the FPS rate has dropped sharply all around (turning off shadows helped a little). The controls start working again during gameplay. Help? I don't understand why I'd have this problem with a console...
This gen is not made of Nentendium- don't assume that a current-gen console will hold up any better than any other contemporary hardware.

That being said, are you having problems with any other games? What sort of 360 is this? Are your save files rediculously overplayed? Have you googled for basic troubleshooting matters and common glitches?

Dumori

Dumori(masoddaa)
May 28, 2010
Morrowind had issues even on the xbox a fair few too. Try resting in the same in door cell for 3 days solid this will reset/remove all the disposable corpses and some containers. They did cause issues on the xbox version as it tried to keep track of them all. Sadly it's very likely you are playing a (semi buggy game) on a console it's not really made for you could well get more issues than I ever got on my xbox. However do try hunting down the old fan sites and lookign in their xbox version sections for fixes ect.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
Also, Morrowind tended to keep track of not only a corpse location, but individual items and door status. NEVER just drop items on the ground en masse, and always close doors. I mean always close doors. As for the main menu, that might be a bug from a recent update to the system, as it sounds like you've played before without this issue. Might be nothing you can do about it except clear the cache data and any and all save associated... Obvious issues abound, of course. My suggestion is to deal with it, or back-up the saves and try clearing the cache. Just remember, this may cause you to loss playability with those save, so proceed at your own risk. I'll see if I can come up with anything better.

EDIT: I did a quick bit of research (GOOGLE!) and I guess my original assessment was more or less correct. The emulation seems to cause issues. Though the clearing of the cache data should not cause any game save issues. Try loading a much earlier save if you have one and see if the FPS still takes a hit.

I really must suggest getting a copy on the PC, if you have a comp that meets the spec (That should really not be hard), as it's much more stable, and can be given much in the mod department, including graphical updates. Either way, food for thought.