Mortal Kombat Dev Reveals Existence of PSP 2

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Mortal Kombat Dev Reveals Existence of PSP 2

Thanks to NetherRealms Studios' Shaun Himmerick, we now know two things about the PSP 2: firstly, it actually exists, and secondly, Sony has sent some to developers.

Sony has repeatedly said that it wasn't going to release a new handheld system this year, but by the sound of things, it's a good way along the path of having one ready for next year, after NetherRealms Studios let slip that it has a PSP 2 that it is working with.

Speaking in an interview at this year's PAX Prime, the Mortal Kombat executive producer said that the studio was looking into porting the game on to the PSP2, trying to decide how much performance it could expect from the device and figuring out whether it would have to redo a lot of assets. He said that the PSP 2 was a "pretty powerful" system, but gave no further details beyond that. Apparently, NetherRealm does not have a 3DS in house yet, although it wants to get one, and will investigate the system in the same way when it does.

The PSP 2 story seems to be very similar to that of its predecessor, the PSP Go. It's going to be interesting to see how many more details we learn before it's formally announced.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/psp2-is-real-pretty-powerful-and-in-developers-hands/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Just make sure it's 100% backwards compatible.

My old PSP broke, and I've felt the urge to replace it for Valkyria Chronicles 2...But I'd be willing to wait until the PSP 2.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I wanna give it a shot myself! Really intrested to see how awesome it will be!

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Well, if it doesn't have two analog sticks (or some kind of control scheme that achieves the same effect), then I'm not buying. I wonder what they're going to use as the storage media, now that they're dropping UMDs. Since it's Sony, it'll probably be a new thing supported only by the PSP2.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
hm i wonder if there will be any backlash from this or if Sony gave them the go ahead to say they have it

psp go hm don't like the sound of that

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Just make sure it's 100% backwards compatible.

My old PSP broke, and I've felt the urge to replace it for Valkyria Chronicles 2...But I'd be willing to wait until the PSP 2.
It fucking better be Backwards Compatible, theres far too many awesome games for them to blow it off.

I swear the PSP2 better not be a next gen PSPGo with no UMD drive or I will spit fire. :|

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I don't see this as a surprise, Sony need a new handheld console to compete with the upcoming 3DS, this must be it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
(copied from the other topic on this)

To: Sony

Point 1: Sony, fix the controls. Seriously. Fix the goddamn controls. If you cannot manage this, then you don't deserve to persist in this market. It's that simple.

Point 2: PS2 Library. 3rd Party Support. Whatever you want to call it, find it. Use it.

Point 3: You're still probably going to lose to the 3DS, but I'll see you redeemed if you try even just a little to accomplish points 1 and 2.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
PSP 2 eh? wouldn't mind seeing a new Final Fantasy: Dissidia on that.. actually i wouldn't mind seeing a new Dissidia on the PS3.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Big surprise? Sony had to have something to go up against the 3DS, even if it means just putting in new hardware to make everything look pretty and doing absolutely nothing special to make the console stand out.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
I would bet so much money that the new PSP has a 3D screen, and Sony is going to gush about how innovative and cutting edge they are.

Although in all fairness Sony was first with the 3D TV, so that wouldn't be quite as bad as the PS Move.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
(copied from the other topic on this)

To: Sony

Point 1: Sony, fix the controls. Seriously. Fix the goddamn controls. If you cannot manage this, then you don't deserve to persist in this market. It's that simple.

Point 2: PS2 Library. 3rd Party Support. Whatever you want to call it, find it. Use it.

Point 3: You're still probably going to lose to the 3DS, but I'll see you redeemed if you try even just a little to accomplish points 1 and 2.
You forgot using a hard storage medium that doesn't have the worst load times in the history of storage mediums.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
V8 Ninja said:
Big surprise? Sony had to have something to go up against the 3DS, even if it means just putting in new hardware to make everything look pretty and doing absolutely nothing special to make the console stand out.
THAT'S NOT TRUE......I guarantee it'll have 2 analog sticks......fricken FPS junkies.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
If it is powerful enough to support ps2 games than Sony should release ps2 games on PSN. They could even release them along with the collections on ps3 with th ability to transfer save files between the 2. Then you could play the games anywhere : D.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
IamSofaKingRaw said:
If it is powerful enough to support ps2 games than Sony should release ps2 games on PSN. They could even release them along with the collections on ps3 with th ability to transfer save files between the 2. Then you could play the games anywhere : D.
That would be cool, but damn that would take up a lot of space for a single game unless the PSP2 is packing some serious internal storage. PS2 games on the go would still be amazing none the less.