Mortal Kombat Gets Retailer Exclusive Fatalities

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
Pre-order bonuses? Sure, I can except having a bonus for hardcore fans that fork over top dollar to have a new title shipped on/before release day.
Multiple store-exclusive bonuses, depending on which retailer you make said pre-order through? Hell no.

This is a minor gripe with most games, but what if this practice starts becoming more prevalent, and starts to lean in the direction that Cryptic did with STO? Not only were there at least a half dozen different pre-order bonuses depending on who you ordered with, but they also tended to effect gameplay directly through equipment, perks, or even direct character skill points. Now, for a single-player game, I can just shrug in disinterest. But with it being an MMO, I was mildly nauseated.

And then there is the matter of store preference... Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I'd have to have had a pretty messed up day for me to ever make a pre-order for anything through GameStop. The online and brick-and-morter stores have spread like a plague and my local stores are staffed with braindead drones that have less technical knowledge about their wares than my grandmother had about her VCR... and then there is the inevitable checkout conversation.

"Would you like to reserve a copy of [insert name of game due for release in over 6 months] or purchase a subscription?"
"You asked me that less than two minutes ago."
"And...?"
"The answer is still 'no'."
"Uh, okay. You sure?"
::door chime dings as I flee in fear of him being contagious::

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
Andy Chalk said:

Warner Brothers Interactive has announced that preorder bonuses for the upcoming Mortal Kombat [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E1JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292289738&sr=8-1] reboot will include retailer-specific "Klassic" skins and fatalities.

Some people like preorder bonuses, some people don't. I'm generally a fan because I enjoy getting free stuff for games I was going to preorder anyway, but others can't shake the feeling that they're somehow being deprived of content. Regardless of what it does or doesn't actually bring to the game, just knowing that this stuff is out there is enough to drive some people crazy.

If you're one of those people, you might want to sit down while you read this. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment [http://www.wbie.com/] announced today that the new Mortal Kombat will be available in two special editions alongside the regular release and that the preorder bonuses will include retailer-specific fatalities.

First, the part that won't drive you nuts. The Mortal Kombat Kollector's Edition will include Sub-Zero and Scorpion figurines, an art book and DLC of classic (klassic?) Mortal Kombat costume skins and avatar outfits, while the even more exclusive Tournament Edition, which will be limited to 20,000 copies (kopies?) will come with all of the above plus a "portable fighting stick," although after the Godfather 2 brass knuckles debacle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90874-EA-Wants-Its-Brass-Knuckles-Back] I don't expect you'll be able to do much actual fighting with it.

And now the part that will. One of the hallmarks of Mortal Kombat are the fatalities, unique moves each character can perform at the end of a fight to finish his opponent in brutal, bloody fashion. Among the most famous of these is Sub-Zero's "spine rip," in which he grabs his enemy by the throat and rips off his skull with the spine still attached, and if you preorder the game from Best Buy you'll get that fatality as part of the game, along with the "Klassic Sub-Zero" playable character skin.

If, on the other hand, you preorder from GameStop, you'll receive the original Scorpion fatality instead, and the "Klassic Scorpion" playable character skin; preorder from Amazon and you'll get the original Reptile fatality and "Klassic Reptile" skin.

Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon responded to complaints by assuring gamers via Twitter [http://twitter.com/noobde] that every character in the game will have two fatalities, with retailer-exclusive finishing moves added where appropriate. Still, while fatalities may not have any impact on gameplay, they're a core component of the experience and regardless of what Boon says, a lot of fans are bound to see this as taking them away. Is it a unique and imaginative preorder bonus? Absolutely. Is it a good idea? That, I'm not so sure.

Mortal Kombat is scheduled for release in April 2011 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Source: MTV Games [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/12/13/mortal-kombat-release-date/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MultiplayerBlog+%28Multiplayer+Blog%29]

Admit it, you loved doing the article with stressed out 'K's

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
HigherTomorrow said:
"will come with all of the above plus a "portable fighting stick," although after the Godfather 2 brass knuckles debacle I don't expect you'll be able to do much actual fighting with it."

Perhaps they mean this? [http://i53.tinypic.com/2s990gm.jpg]

Come on Escapist, I love you, but if you're going to report on news I've already read on numerous websites, such as SRK, at least act as if you know what you're reporting on.
Yeah, I assumed that was the case.

Anyway, they've got to be kidding.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
First, the part that won't drive you nuts. The Mortal Kombat Kollector's Edition will include Sub-Zero and Scorpion figurines, an art book and DLC of classic (klassic?) Mortal Kombat costume skins and avatar outfits, while the even more exclusive Tournament Edition, which will be limited to 20,000 copies (kopies?) will come with all of the above plus a "portable fighting stick," although after the Godfather 2 brass knuckles debacle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90874-EA-Wants-Its-Brass-Knuckles-Back] I don't expect you'll be able to do much actual fighting with it.
Color me sold on the Tournament Edition, so long as it's not an Amazon exclusive like with the Fallout 3 Adventurer's Pack. If so, I'll gladly buy the GameStop CE.

Chances are, the bonuses will become DLC later, but this game looks very promising, so I'm willing to spend some extra cash for one of these.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Thats pretty stupid. Why make it specific? I love both Scorpion and Sub-Zero and would like both the original fatalities(Not a Reptile fan) in one game not separate.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I'm not to pushed on this whole exclusive content for preorders but the CD Of Mortal Kambat with the two figuerens does sound nice // I'm a sucker for buy CD and depending on the look of this I will probable end up getting this as well

-M

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Well I'll be pre-ordering at Gamestop, Scorpion's my fighter. Anyway, this is definitely different. This is kind of like console exclusives; only instead of consoles, it's stores. And personally, I normally like exclusives. Probably because it gives me something to wonder about. So this isn't a big problem with me, but that really is JUST ME (and others like me); I see the problem for others. Well, we'll have to see how this turns out in the end.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
My guess is within 3 months time from it's release there will be character packs of all 3(Maybe others too.) for sale for $2.50-$6.00 for each set.

CrazyMedic

Jun 1, 2010
ok I have no problem with pre order content in general I mean a few skins or something or maybe a training level or something but taking something as iconic and making it a preorder bonus what is next "preorder at gamestop and get the high punch button but if you preorder at best buy get the upper cut" I mean come on, if they wanted to give sub zero an alternate fatility where he like freezes someone flicks the glass and it breaks fine but it is like having a half life game and only getting the crow bar if you preorder from gamestop.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Meh... I never played MK back in its hey-day... heck, my official introduction to the franchise was in Deception. Klassic kostumes are not a kore komponent for players for me, especially since I prefer the kurrent kostumes a lot more.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
This really pisses me off.

Seems this 'Do not buy this game on release you idiot, wait for the GOTY version with all preorders and DLC integrated' release method is becoming more and more standard.

IF I decide to pick this game up at all, I'll do just that... wait for the GOTY/full collection.

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
It's a good thing I haven't been too into Mortal Kombat as of late, or this would really bug me.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
This is getting ridiculously stupid. Can anyone release a normal game anymore with all of it's content?

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Thorvan said:
Andy Chalk said:

Warner Brothers Interactive has announced that preorder bonuses for the upcoming Mortal Kombat [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E1JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292289738&sr=8-1] reboot will include retailer-specific "Klassic" skins and fatalities.

Some people like preorder bonuses, some people don't. I'm generally a fan because I enjoy getting free stuff for games I was going to preorder anyway, but others Kan't shake the feeling that they're somehow being deprived of Kontent. Regardless of what it does or doesn't actually bring to the game, just knowing that this stuff is out there is enough to drive some people Krazy.

If you're one of those people, you might want to sit down while you read this. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment [http://www.wbie.com/] announced today that the new Mortal Kombat will be available in two special editions alongside the regular release and that the preorder bonuses will include retailer-specific fatalities.

First, the part that won't drive you nuts. The Mortal Kombat Kollector's Edition will include Sub-Zero and Scorpion figurines, an art book and DLC of Klassic (classic?) Mortal Kombat Kostume skins and avatar outfits, while the even more exclusive Tournament Edition, which will be limited to 20,000 Kopies (copies?) will come with all of the above plus a "portable fighting stick," although after the Godfather 2 brass knuckles debacle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90874-EA-Wants-Its-Brass-Knuckles-Back] I don't expect you'll be able to do much actual fighting with it.

And now the part that will. One of the hallmarks of Mortal Kombat are the fatalities, unique moves each character Kan perform at the end of a fight to finish his opponent in brutal, bloody fashion. Among the most famous of these is Sub-Zero's "spine rip," in which he grabs his enemy by the throat and rips off his skull with the spine still attached, and if you preorder the game from Best Buy you'll get that fatality as part of the game, along with the "Klassic Sub-Zero" playable Kharacter skin.

If, on the other hand, you preorder from GameStop, you'll receive the original Scorpion fatality instead, and the "Klassic Scorpion" playable Kharacter skin; preorder from Amazon and you'll get the original Reptile fatality and "Klassic Reptile" skin.

Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon responded to Komplaints by assuring gamers via Twitter [http://twitter.com/noobde] that every Kharacter in the game will have two fatalities, with retailer-exclusive finishing moves added where appropriate. Still, while fatalities may not have any impact on gameplay, they're a Kore component of the experience and regardless of what Boon says, a lot of fans are bound to see this as taking them away. Is it a unique and imaginative preorder bonus? Absolutely. Is it a good idea? That, I'm not so sure.

Mortal Kombat is scheduled for release in April 2011 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Source: MTV Games [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/12/13/mortal-kombat-release-date/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MultiplayerBlog+%28Multiplayer+Blog%29]

Sorry, Kouldn't help myself.
Hahah, and I was just going to point out, Escapist should use K instead of C for all words available in all of the MK related articles. Well done, mate. You win this thread.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
HigherTomorrow said:
Come on Escapist, I love you, but if you're going to report on news I've already read on numerous websites, such as SRK, at least act as if you know what you're reporting on.
If you've already read about it on numerous other websites, why are you whining about it here?

And why are you reading the same news posts on multiple sites?

Also, your image link doesn't work.

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
HigherTomorrow said:
If you've already read about it on numerous other websites, why are you whining about it here?

And why are you reading the same news posts on multiple sites?

Also, your image link doesn't work.
You made the mistake in the article, not I.

I read multiple video game news websites. Shoryuken reported on this hours before Escapist, and they also included images of said product. I make rounds of websites such as Shoryuken, EventHubs, Escapist, Twitter, etc, just so I can get up on entertainment news.

I am a consumer of the Escapist, and you are a contributor. You are here to contribute news to the website, and I am here to consume said news. If you contribute incorrect news, I consume incorrect news.

Sorry if I'm 'whining' about it, but don't contribute if you can't take complaints.