Mortal Kombat Klassic Skin DLC Brings Back Toasty Arcade Days

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Mortal Kombat Klassic Skin DLC Brings Back Toasty Arcade Days

The first DLC pack for Mortal Kombat puts all of the game's klassic pre-order skins and fatalities in one package.

Anyone that only pre-ordered a single copy of exclusive bonuses [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0J998/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306605246&sr=8-2] found at retailers they didn't pre-order from. Fortunately, they now have a chance to complete their kollection (my first and last "k" for "c" replacement, I promise). The first DLC for the game combines all of the pre-order bonuses in one $5 package.

This includes classic costumes for Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Ermac, Mileena, Jade, and Kitana. Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Reptile also receive a classic fatality each, such as the one where Scorpion takes off his mask to reveal a fire-breathing skull.

So if you got the yellow-padded suit and you wanted the blue-padded suit, it'll be $5 for your trouble. Worth it? Not to me personally, but people were evidently purchasing pre-order codes on eBay for upwards of $50 each. Toasty!

The classic character skin pack will be available on Xbox Live and the PlayStation Store (if it's back up) on June 7. Looking toward the future, Ed Boon promises on his Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/NOOBDE] account that Netherrealm will release a trailer of Skarlet, one of the new DLC characters, on May 30.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
This seems fair: it?s what the people want. It gives those who, like me, didn't buy the game at launch a chance to get these things if we really wanted them.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
This is a character skin pack I can get behind. Granted, I like the new designs (mostly... Kitana's alternate has one of the manliest faces I've ever seen), but it's nice to see the old designs in a new generation.

Although I kinda wished the outfits were from various games in franchise: Reptile's DA design, Jade sporting her royal garb from Deception, stuff like that. But hey, I'll happily take this when I can get it.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Not bad, I like my Scorpion pre-order kostume and fatality.
For only $5 I have no problem getting the rest of um.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Again I'd have paid 5$ to get any of them anyway, so it's a nice bargain(more developers should do this IMO)

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'd say it's worth the five bucks solely for the return of the spine rip and the toasty.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
This is how preorder bonuses should be handled: you get to buy the rest at a later date.

That said I find it amusing that people are willing to pay for stuff like costumes and crap in games, the fatalities and extra characters I get, but crap like hats just confuses the hell out of me. (Yes I play TF2, yes I have a few hats, yes I wear them, but I didn't pay extra to get them either.)

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Fayathon said:
This is how preorder bonuses should be handled: you get to buy the rest at a later date.

That said I find it amusing that people are willing to pay for stuff like costumes and crap in games, the fatalities and extra characters I get, but crap like hats just confuses the hell out of me. (Yes I play TF2, yes I have a few hats, yes I wear them, but I didn't pay extra to get them either.)
It confuses me more that people got up in arms about the Mann store for TF2 offering hats for like 3 bucks apiece, they can still craft the damn things for free so who cares?

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Finally. I got Scorpion's skin and fatality at launch, and I love them. The only thing is that while I enjoy Reptile and Mileena, I don't like either of their costumes. I am looking forward to this.
The only thing is that I wish it still said "Toasty!" after the fatality. Tis an amazing thing.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Necromancer1991 said:
Fayathon said:

It confuses me more that people got up in arms about the Mann store for TF2 offering hats for like 3 bucks apiece, they can still craft the damn things for free so who cares?
The problem with crafting the hats is that it takes an insane amount of raw materials to make even one, and you're not guaranteed to get the one you want unless there's a specific blueprint for it. It boils down to a week or more of collecting, trading and shit like that, or $3 instant gratification.

Rager's gonna rage I suppose

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Fayathon said:
Necromancer1991 said:
Fayathon said:

The problem with crafting the hats is that it takes an insane amount of raw materials to make even one, and you're not guaranteed to get the one you want unless there's a specific blueprint for it. It boils down to a week or more of collecting, trading and shit like that, or $3 instant gratification.

Rager's gonna rage I suppose
Quite, anyway I'm not sure the exact number of pre-orders would be necessary to get all of the costumes (7 if I remember correctly), but I can tell you know they'd add up to well over 5$ (probably on the range of 30$+) so as I said before, it's a bargain

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
They did this with God of war 3 also, only difference is they sold them all separately on PSN instead of putting them in one costume pack. I bought Mortal Kombat used at gamestop but since PSN was down the kombat pass and code for Mileena's classic costume was still in there which I thought was awesome but now I don't think I'll even redeem the code since this is coming out. Does anybody know if we will be able to get cyrax and sektor's classic costumes? I wouldn't mind having those to but no one has said anything on how to get them.

You can see what they look like here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMHy5cm_HU0&feature=feedu

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
DesiPrinceX09 said:
They did this with God of war 3 also, only difference is they sold them all separately on PSN instead of putting them in one costume pack. I bought Mortal Kombat used at gamestop but since PSN was down the kombat pass and code for Mileena's classic costume was still in there which I thought was awesome but now I don't think I'll even redeem the code since this is coming out. Does anybody know if we will be able to get cyrax and sektor's classic costumes? I wouldn't mind having those to but no one has said anything on how to get them.

You can see what they look like here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMHy5cm_HU0&feature=feedu
Cyrax and Sektor's Klassiks where leaked, so no date on them yet. I have a feeling they will be paired with Smoke and Noobs Klassik.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Capcom should watch this and see how it is done when it comes to costumes. You don't give just that. Each char gets a new fatality. THAT is something I would pay for.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Does anybody know if we can use the klassic fatalities without the costumes on?

I know orignally, we could, then the day one patch changed it, but I don't know if it still applies to the dlc...

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
pre-order bonuses made available after release? extra content for an already content-packed game?

you know, when a game actually has alot of stuff in it already, little DLC like this actually look fun and not like a cheap moneygrab to get us to pay for stuff already on the disk...even though that is exactly the case here. i guess im just so surprised to have a modern game that feels like a complete fucking game.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Personally, I've never been a fan of downloadable kontent.

At least they're trying to make it right with this DLK, though.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The first DLC pack for Mortal Kombat puts all of the game's klassic pre-order skins and fatalities in one package.

Anyone that only pre-ordered a single kopy of exclusive bonuses [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0J998/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306605246&sr=8-2] found at retailers they didn't pre-order from. Fortunately, they now have a chance to komplete their kollection. The first DLC for the game kombines all of the pre-order bonuses in one $5 package.

This includes klassic kostumes for Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Ermac, Mileena, Jade, and Kitana. Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Reptile also receive a klassic fatality each, such as the one where Scorpion takes off his mask to reveal a fire-breathing skull.

So if you got the yellow-padded suit and you wanted the blue-padded suit, it'll be $5 for your trouble. Worth it? Not to me personally, but people were evidently purchasing pre-order kodes on eBay for upwards of $50 each. Toasty!

The klassic karacter skin pack will be available on Xbox Live and the PlayStation Store (if it's back up) on June 7. Looking toward the future, Ed Boon promises on his Twitter [http://twitter.com/#!/NOOBDE] account that Netherrealm will release a trailer of Skarlet, one of the new DLC karacters, on May 30.
Fixed some of that for you Mr. Goldman.

Anyway, as far as DLC goes, this seems pretty good I guess. Offering pre-order bonuses to people who didn't pre-order is good at least. Good for those kompletionists who don't pre-order for whatever reason.