Mortal Kombat Reboot

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Preview Article

No actual trailers yet or anything. They didn't try to go PG at least.

Does seem like this may get a little bloated, since they're talking about having botrh the backstory of Scorps and Subzero, but also the actual tournament. And we have random mc-viewer-stand-in generic mma dude so expect some hefty exposition dump dialogue.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah I'm a little conflicted on this one. I fucking love the original MK movie, and I even enjoy some elements of the second film too. But, I mean, it's just a tournament fighting story. Those are historically really lame, B-grade action flicks at best. And if they're just using it as a vehicle to allow some of the MMA/WWE fighters to transition into acting...well....frankly I'm not terribly excited to see it. I think part of the charm of the first MK film, was it was campy as fuck, just like the source material. If they try and give it a "gritty, realistic reboot" I'll probably just roll my eyes and skip it until it's free on netflix or something.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Bring on those hard R rated fatalities! Also, I'd be fine with the tone of it if it was like the MK Legacy shorts from a few years back, with some comic relief mixed in.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I enjoyed the original Mortal Kombat film. It's trashy, obviously, but it's really well executed: and such films are nearly always good fun.

This new one would have to be going some to better it.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not just a movie based on a video game, but a reboot at that. Yeah, ok.

Not seeing any real demand for a Mortal Kombat movie, but might be wrng.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I enjoyed the original Mortal Kombat film. It's trashy, obviously, but it's really well executed: and such films are nearly always good fun.

This new one would have to be going some to better it.

I mean, the original movie really captured the essence of the games (at that time). Two dudes shows up and has fight, then two dudes show up and has fight as well. And maybe a dozen lines of backstory for a major character.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I mean, the original movie really captured the essence of the games (at that time). Two dudes shows up and has fight, then two dudes show up and has fight as well. And maybe a dozen lines of backstory for a major character.
I fucking LOVED the first film, it's not a guilty pleasure for me, it's just a pleasure. I remember seeing it in the theaters back when I was a teenager, and it was a very amazing experience. I was high as FUCK, went to a matinee, so I had the theater to myself, and just sat down in the middle of the seating. Lights went down, and that music track just screamed out. "MOOOOORTAAAAL KOMBAAAAT!" and that techno track exploded, as the fire emblem of the franchise flickered across the screen. It was just, SUCH a precise, direct way to introduce it. No narration to explain the setup "At the dawn of time, the Elder Gods blah blah blah" No, fuck that. YOU know what you are here for, WE know what you are here for, have some fucking MORTAL KOMBAT! After that, I was just sold. "Ok yep, this will be fun. It will be dumb, but it will be fun, and I am fine with that."

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I fucking LOVED the first film, it's not a guilty pleasure for me, it's just a pleasure. I remember seeing it in the theaters back when I was a teenager, and it was a very amazing experience. I was high as FUCK, went to a matinee, so I had the theater to myself, and just sat down in the middle of the seating. Lights went down, and that music track just screamed out. "MOOOOORTAAAAL KOMBAAAAT!" and that techno track exploded, as the fire emblem of the franchise flickered across the screen. It was just, SUCH a precise, direct way to introduce it. No narration to explain the setup "At the dawn of time, the Elder Gods blah blah blah" No, fuck that. YOU know what you are here for, WE know what you are here for, have some fucking MORTAL KOMBAT! After that, I was just sold. "Ok yep, this will be fun. It will be dumb, but it will be fun, and I am fine with that."
It doesn’t have a bad emotional hook either, with Liu Kang and his brother.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It doesn’t have a bad emotional hook either, with Liu Kang and his brother.
Honestly the movie is a solid B grade action flick. Reluctant Hero with a Family Tragedy, a villain he's Blinded by Revenge against, a Wise Mentor, basically every trope you can think of, they've got them. But they do them well. There's no real wasted screen time, the various fights establish the stakes, the motivations of the various main characters, hell they even utilize the Distressed Damsel in a way that actually is integral to the plot. Sonya's character flaw in that film, is her refusal to accept help. She constantly tries to prove "she can do it on her own!" and Raiden points out how this will be her downfall. And then, at the end, when she's abducted by Shang Tsung, he's playing on that very flaw, saying how she's alone, noone is coming to help her, so she should agree to his terms, and give in. And she doesn't. She ACTUALLY grows, and while trapped, is actually stronger than she's been, personally, than any other point in the film. She refuses him, flat out stating "My friends will come for me." Showing that she actually trusts them to have her back. So she won't just give in. And her faith in her friends is proven out, as they are already there, and proceed to rescue her. It wasn't about her kicking Shang Tsung's ass, narratively, that was Liu Kang's job. No, it was to show she could overcome her psychological hangups, and it was rewarded.

Another scene I love, is when the 3 heroes are in that big melee, and they win, and are talking after while they catch their breath. Sonya is giving Johnny shit, and Liu is just being indifferent, and Johnny is like "look, we're standing...they're not....what else do you want?" it then cuts to Raiden, slow clapping saying "Brilliant, absolutely brilliant" and it seems at first, that he's being sarcastic, but he's really not. He's genuinely applauding Johnny for understanding the premise of the Kontest. This is reinforced later, when Johnny declares the fight against Goro, and Raiden shows up and is like "what have you done?" and Johnny is like "Hey, you said it yourself, this is MORTAL kombat, WE fight it." And storms off. And Raiden smiles and is like "One of them gets it!"

It's really a lot better than I think it gets credit for.

Last edited:

Offworlder

Elite Member
Jan 31, 2021
Country
Australia
Any time this is brought up it reminds me that they made a mini pilot for a Mortal Kombat show with Micheal Jai-White.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Yeah I'm a little conflicted on this one. I fucking love the original MK movie, and I even enjoy some elements of the second film too. But, I mean, it's just a tournament fighting story. Those are historically really lame, B-grade action flicks at best. And if they're just using it as a vehicle to allow some of the MMA/WWE fighters to transition into acting...well....frankly I'm not terribly excited to see it. I think part of the charm of the first MK film, was it was campy as fuck, just like the source material. If they try and give it a "gritty, realistic reboot" I'll probably just roll my eyes and skip it until it's free on netflix or something.
Most of Mortal Kombat actually doesn't revolve around the tournament these days. I haven't seen anything about them going for realism in this new version.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Of all video game movies that could use another shot, they decide to remake the already good one.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Honestly the movie is a solid B grade action flick. Reluctant Hero with a Family Tragedy, a villain he's Blinded by Revenge against, a Wise Mentor, basically every trope you can think of, they've got them. But they do them well. There's no real wasted screen time, the various fights establish the stakes, the motivations of the various main characters, hell they even utilize the Distressed Damsel in a way that actually is integral to the plot. Sonya's character flaw in that film, is her refusal to accept help. She constantly tries to prove "she can do it on her own!" and Raiden points out how this will be her downfall. And then, at the end, when she's abducted by Shao Khan, he's playing on that very flaw, saying how she's alone, noone is coming to help her, so she should agree to his terms, and give in. And she doesn't. She ACTUALLY grows, and while trapped, is actually stronger than she's been, personally, than any other point in the film. She refuses him, flat out stating "My friends will come for me." Showing that she actually trusts them to have her back. So she won't just give in. And her faith in her friends is proven out, as they are already there, and proceed to rescue her. It wasn't about her kicking Shao Khan's ass, narratively, that was Liu Kang's job. No, it was to show she could overcome her psychological hangups, and it was rewarded.

Another scene I love, is when the 3 heroes are in that big melee, and they win, and are talking after while they catch their breath. Sonya is giving Johnny shit, and Liu is just being indifferent, and Johnny is like "look, we're standing...they're not....what else do you want?" it then cuts to Raiden, slow clapping saying "Brilliant, absolutely brilliant" and it seems at first, that he's being sarcastic, but he's really not. He's genuinely applauding Johnny for understanding the premise of the Kontest. This is reinforced later, when Johnny declares the fight against Goro, and Raiden shows up and is like "what have you done?" and Johnny is like "Hey, you said it yourself, this is MORTAL kombat, WE fight it." And storms off. And Raiden smiles and is like "One of them gets it!"

It's really a lot better than I think it gets credit for.
My only observation was that it was Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat that captured Sonya. Otherwise you sir are dead on the money. Plus I think everyone knew what kind of movie they were in and got into the groove really easily. Like the stakes are serious but there’s just enough cheek to stop it from being all Dark Knight.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
My only observation was that it was Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat that captured Sonya. Otherwise you sir are dead on the money. Plus I think everyone knew what kind of movie they were in and got into the groove really easily. Like the stakes are serious but there’s just enough cheek to stop it from being all Dark Knight.
Ah, yeah that was a brain fart there. I meant Shang Tsung. Not sure why I was thinking Shao Khan? Maybe because I'd played MK 11 a month or so ago? *shrugs* Thanks for the note. corrected original.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Honestly the movie is a solid B grade action flick. Reluctant Hero with a Family Tragedy, a villain he's Blinded by Revenge against, a Wise Mentor, basically every trope you can think of, they've got them. But they do them well. There's no real wasted screen time, the various fights establish the stakes, the motivations of the various main characters, hell they even utilize the Distressed Damsel in a way that actually is integral to the plot. Sonya's character flaw in that film, is her refusal to accept help. She constantly tries to prove "she can do it on her own!" and Raiden points out how this will be her downfall. And then, at the end, when she's abducted by Shang Tsung, he's playing on that very flaw, saying how she's alone, noone is coming to help her, so she should agree to his terms, and give in. And she doesn't. She ACTUALLY grows, and while trapped, is actually stronger than she's been, personally, than any other point in the film. She refuses him, flat out stating "My friends will come for me." Showing that she actually trusts them to have her back. So she won't just give in. And her faith in her friends is proven out, as they are already there, and proceed to rescue her. It wasn't about her kicking Shang Tsung's ass, narratively, that was Liu Kang's job. No, it was to show she could overcome her psychological hangups, and it was rewarded.
I think you're being a bit too generous.

Sonya gets a grand total of one fight in the film. ONE. Then Raiden gives his talk about accepting help. Okay, sure. Then she's captured and doesn't do anything for the rest of the film. Saying "my friends will come for me" isn't some grand character arc, it's what any captive could say. Furthermore, you could argue that it adds up to Liu Kang being "the special," because of course Sonya isn't going to fight Tsang Tsung, Liu Kang is.

Also, while we're on the subject of "the talk," Raiden tells Johnny that his weakness is that he'll rush into any fight to prove that he's not afraid...therefore, he rushes in to fight Goro and wins. Johnny might have a character arc of sorts in the film, but "the talk" is academic to it.

Mortal Kombat can't really be given credit for in-depth characters (least not at this point in the franchise), but of the main trio, Sonya easily gets the short end of the stick.

Most of Mortal Kombat actually doesn't revolve around the tournament these days. I haven't seen anything about them going for realism in this new version.
THe games stopped being about a tournament after the second, and that was in the original run, never mind the reboot.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

Sonya gets a grand total of one fight in the film. ONE. Then Raiden gives his talk about accepting help. Okay, sure. Then she's captured and doesn't do anything for the rest of the film. Saying "my friends will come for me" isn't some grand character arc, it's what any captive could say. Furthermore, you could argue that it adds up to Liu Kang being "the special," because of course Sonya isn't going to fight Tsang Tsung, Liu Kang is.

Also, while we're on the subject of "the talk," Raiden tells Johnny that his weakness is that he'll rush into any fight to prove that he's not afraid...therefore, he rushes in to fight Goro and wins. Johnny might have a character arc of sorts in the film, but "the talk" is academic to it.

Mortal Kombat can't really be given credit for in-depth characters (least not at this point in the franchise), but of the main trio, Sonya easily gets the short end of the stick.

THe games stopped being about a tournament after the second, and that was in the original run, never mind the reboot.
In fairness, Johnny challenges Goro, not to prove he isn't afraid, but to protect his friends and he did have something resembling a plan.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Sonya had her fight scenes cut because Bridgette Wilson was a replacement before filming started - the original actress broke her ankle - and unlike Liu and Johnny’s actors, she had no fight training at all.

So they had to put lots of effort into her one fight scene to make it look as good as possible. And it’s not a bad fight, but watching it again I think Trevor Goddard was carrying a fair bit of it.

I mean shit, apparently their budget was so thin that Christopher Lambert paid for his travel to Thailand AND stumped up for the wrap party out of his own pocket. Which he didn’t mind since he got to have a way bigger role because of paying for himself to fly out.

Anyway, no one is calling Mortal Kombat a deep or character rich movie, but it isn’t bereft of growth for its characters.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
In fairness, Johnny challenges Goro, not to prove he isn't afraid, but to protect his friends and he did have something resembling a plan.
Maybe. Though I can't help but wonder what would have happened if a) leaving the arena would disqualify you, or b) Goro just waited for him to return.

I also kind of wonder how the wider tournament played out. Assuming that Goro is the reigning champion, then presumably Earthrealm wins pretty much every fight, then Goro wipes the floor with everyone that goes against him?

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Maybe. Though I can't help but wonder what would have happened if a) leaving the arena would disqualify you, or b) Goro just waited for him to return.

I also kind of wonder how the wider tournament played out. Assuming that Goro is the reigning champion, then presumably Earthrealm wins pretty much every fight, then Goro wipes the floor with everyone that goes against him?
Yeah, they didn't put much thought into the tournament rules.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yes, he wiped the floor with everyone that goes against him. They even give us a corpse montage of him doing that very thing in the film. And it's established that prior to the film's Kombat, Earthrealm had lost 9/10, putting them on the chopping block for Konquest. It's assumed that, just like everyone in the film without plot armor (that one black fighter who was friends with Johnny, and the previously mentioned corpse montage of extras), all the prior champions, were not up to snuff.