Mortal Kombat Reboot

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Some easy to miss details -

Hell yeah Kabal’s in. Also that’s gotta be Jax’s head clap fatality when he’s mentioning Reiko.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Who is the person going up against Goro? From the back, it kind of looks like robot arms on Jax, but it doesn't look like the same actor.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Also, I find I REALLY want to hear the full orchestral version of the theme song now. Like, I can kind of hear how it might go in my head, based on the small bits we hear in the trailer, and I really want to hear more. Cause while I think the original techno version is superior, I always appreciate other musical adaptations of songs.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah I don't really know what to say about Cole...and apparently neither does Cole. He literally had zero lines in the trailer, even when the topic was him, it was nothing but people talking ABOUT him, around him. So....that's a bit worrisome. I wonder if the actor is just not very good, and every time he opens his mouth reflects this? So they just edited around it for the trailer? *shrugs*

As to "Why isn't X in the movie?" I mean the roster, even with just the first game or 2 of characters, is too large for a film to really have much coverage for. So I don't really mind them leaving some people out. I mean they left Jax out of MK 1 movie, but he's in it this time. I mean you KNOW they are hoping this will be a franchise, so they can bring in the other characters in later films. Honestly Cage was never a character I enjoyed much in the games (movie Johnny Cage, I loved him to death, he was great), so I don't really mind him not being in it.

As to Johnny specifically not being sellable today? I don't think so, I mean media celebrities are huge now, on every level. I could maybe see them changing him to...I dunno, an MMA fighter who is also a live streamer, or some kind of online personality, who is also a badass fighter? I mean it's not like there aren't fighting movies out there, with actors famous for being in fighting movies (The Rock and Jason Statham come immediately to mind, and they are hugely popular right now). So yeah I don't see it being a "he doesn't translate well in today's always online culture", quite the opposite. What I hope is that they just couldn't think of a way to work him into the narrative they have made, with the whole Street Fighter meets CSI angle they're going with Sonya and Jax. Which frankly, I'm fine with that. I'd rather they saved him for a situation where it makes sense to have him in it, than just shoehorning him in to appease the fans, even if it clashes with the storyline.

*edit*

Holy shit I use the phrase "I mean" a lot when I'm typing.
Technically Jax is in MK1 but he doesn’t make it to the tournament but he is with Sonya on the raid and the dock.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Technically Jax is in MK1 but he doesn’t make it to the tournament but he is with Sonya on the raid and the dock.
Yes I know that, but are you REALLY saying that puts him in the movie? He did literally nothing of note, and was only there as exposition guy for Sonya's hatred of Kano. I don't call that him being in the tournament. He had what, 2 lines of dialogue, and MAYBE 60 seconds of combined screen time, if that? I'd rather he hadn't been in it for that little bit of involvement, same for Johnny. I mean maybe we'll see someone watching a movie in the background, and you'll see an ad for the upcoming action flick, starring Johnny Cage!! Legendary Martial Arts Master! and they just glance at it, and continue on, because it's just background chatter in a bar or something. That's fine, as it would make sense, and be funny. But, aside from that, if he's not going to actually fight, I'd rather they didn't waste screen time on him, and use that time for other character development.

Also, just found this. Not sure how authentic it is, as I suspect it's someone with musical talent, filling in the various bits in the song that were buried under trailer dialogue. But it's pretty slick, and I'm loving it.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah I don't really know what to say about Cole...and apparently neither does Cole. He literally had zero lines in the trailer, even when the topic was him, it was nothing but people talking ABOUT him, around him. So....that's a bit worrisome. I wonder if the actor is just not very good, and every time he opens his mouth reflects this? So they just edited around it for the trailer? *shrugs*

As to "Why isn't X in the movie?" I mean the roster, even with just the first game or 2 of characters, is too large for a film to really have much coverage for. So I don't really mind them leaving some people out. I mean they left Jax out of MK 1 movie, but he's in it this time. I mean you KNOW they are hoping this will be a franchise, so they can bring in the other characters in later films. Honestly Cage was never a character I enjoyed much in the games (movie Johnny Cage, I loved him to death, he was great), so I don't really mind him not being in it.

Well yeah, the oddity is not that Character X was left out. But we've got Cole the random martial arts celebrity (washout?) in here. Like, other then the movie star thing (and at least from the trailer, any sense of personality), thats Johnny's schtick. Even though his audience-window status was only really estalbished in the MK film (or maybe the reboots in the game, where he's now surprised he has magic powers).

Would Johnny fit the story, as we've been presented? Maybe not. But why is this random MMA kid in there either.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well yeah, the oddity is not that Character X was left out. But we've got Cole the random martial arts celebrity (washout?) in here. Like, other then the movie star thing (and at least from the trailer, any sense of personality), thats Johnny's schtick. Even though his audience-window status was only really estalbished in the MK film (or maybe the reboots in the game, where he's now surprised he has magic powers).

Would Johnny fit the story, as we've been presented? Maybe not. But why is this random MMA kid in there either.
I suspect, and some others do too, that he's perhaps a new character that will be introduced to the roster. Could just be Cole McExpostionStan , but it wouldn't surprise me if this is a form of test run for his introduction to the game roster. I agree, having a nobody, when they could have a Cage, is a weird choice, but, they made it, so...*shrugs* that's what we've got.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yes I know that, but are you REALLY saying that puts him in the movie? He did literally nothing of note, and was only there as exposition guy for Sonya's hatred of Kano. I don't call that him being in the tournament. He had what, 2 lines of dialogue, and MAYBE 60 seconds of combined screen time, if that? I'd rather he hadn't been in it for that little bit of involvement, same for Johnny. I mean maybe we'll see someone watching a movie in the background, and you'll see an ad for the upcoming action flick, starring Johnny Cage!! Legendary Martial Arts Master! and they just glance at it, and continue on, because it's just background chatter in a bar or something. That's fine, as it would make sense, and be funny. But, aside from that, if he's not going to actually fight, I'd rather they didn't waste screen time on him, and use that time for other character development.

Also, just found this. Not sure how authentic it is, as I suspect it's someone with musical talent, filling in the various bits in the song that were buried under trailer dialogue. But it's pretty slick, and I'm loving it.

No it doesn’t make him in the movie proper, but it was at least a cameo they were able to pay off in the next movie. Shame nothing else in that wretched experience paid off though.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
No it doesn’t make him in the movie proper, but it was at least a cameo they were able to pay off in the next movie. Shame nothing else in that wretched experience paid off though.
Yeah but, it DOESN'T pay off in the second film. Nothing about that first cameo of him had anything to do with him showing up in the second film. He doesn't comment about "hey the last time I saw you was on the boat! what the fuck happened!?" because remember MK:Annihilation started immediately after MK1. So Jax was just on a dock in..Australia I think? Wherever they were chasing Kano, and then....he's just...on a table in a lab in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, that Sonya somehow knows he's in, and he's just getting metal arms, no big deal. Nobody comments about "hey so, what the fuck happened with that magical boat shit? also where's kano?" Or "How the fuck did you end up here Jax!? Last I saw you just a few days ago was on a dock on regular earth. Seriously how did you end up in this suspicious lab getting fitted with arm enhancers?!" None of that happens. So effectively, the cameo in the first film, has ZERO payoff in the next film, because it's literally as if nothing in it happened, and had zero bearing on the current events. So again, I'd rather they didn't even bother with it. It did nothing for Jax's content in the next film, and might as well have never happened. So if THAT is what they plan on doing with Cage, I'd rather they didn't. Just save him for the next film, assuming this does well enough.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Ringo

Jul 12, 2007
Country
Canada
How does Maximilian immediately know Hiroyuki Sanada but not recognize Tadanobu Asano? Fun fact, Asano has already been in a film focused on lethal combat where he's able to control electricity (Electric Dragon 80.000 V).

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Some of the comments lol -

Pinned by Versus Music Official
Raven GTR
Roses are red
Sub Zero is blue
He'll freeze your blood
And use it to stab you ❄

Thomas Jackson
I played this for my pet monkey, and now he’s using my bowflex.

Frozen Peas
I played this for my pet lizard, and he’s now Godzilla and about to fight Kong

The composer has some good stuff under his belt too.

Reactions: happyninja42

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So I'll be honest, I'm not onboard with this.

I mean, let's be honest. If this wasn't a Mortal Kombat movie, would there be as much hype? Does the trailer do a good job of selling its setting? Is there anything interesting about said setting, or characters? Something about a tournament and dimensions, but combined with a kind of grey seepia that's spread over the trailer. Coupled with the trope of "the special."

It also harkens back to something I've noticed about MK, and that it always seems to be bent on rebooting itself. The games rebooted after Armageddon, then after three games, rebooted again. Coupled with a film reboot that goes back to the first game or at least its premise. There's so much you could potentially do with the MK setting - all these realms, all these civilizations, but it's fixated on the micro rather than macro level.

And I get it. I mean, brand recognition is a thing. Lots of people don't care about the lore at all, and just want to see blood, guts, and one-liners, and since I haven't played a MK game since the third one, I don't have a horse in this race. But MK does strike me at this point as a case of squandered potential, storytelling-wise.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I mean, let's be honest. If this wasn't a Mortal Kombat movie, would there be as much hype? Does the trailer do a good job of selling its setting? Is there anything interesting about said setting, or characters? Something about a tournament and dimensions, but combined with a kind of grey seepia that's spread over the trailer. Coupled with the trope of "the special."

It also harkens back to something I've noticed about MK, and that it always seems to be bent on rebooting itself. The games rebooted after Armageddon, then after three games, rebooted again. Coupled with a film reboot that goes back to the first game or at least its premise. There's so much you could potentially do with the MK setting - all these realms, all these civilizations, but it's fixated on the micro rather than macro level.

And I get it. I mean, brand recognition is a thing. Lots of people don't care about the lore at all, and just want to see blood, guts, and one-liners, and since I haven't played a MK game since the third one, I don't have a horse in this race. But MK does strike me at this point as a case of squandered potential, storytelling-wise.
Reminds me of the Killzone franchise, although at least that one hasn’t seen reboots (yet, if ever).

MK has such a massive, convoluted, mess of a storyline though, which was first on full display with Armageddon. If there’s anywhere to start saying, “Ok, lets go back to the basics and see where things go from there.” It would have to be pretty much what the movie seems to be doing (again).

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

Film wise, it has been over 20 years and trying to continue off the second movie particularly would be just a massive mess. So rebooting probably makes sense.

Speaking of the games though. It does seem like they're kind of pulling an MCU problem here. Any fans who might jump over to the media.... are going to be horribly confused because the games aren't even vaguely about this anymore (unless they reboot again too). So it doesn't really draw any new fans to the franchise. Whether the fanservice gesture to the existing fans goes, remains to be seen.

This is not unprecedented of course, as I mentioned. The MCU movies have basically.... had a null effect in doing anything for their comics counterparts. Because the comics are way off in a completely unaligned variation. It's basically impossible for someone to pick up the MCU then jump into the comics because every aspect but the names and maybe costumes is so differing. And they didn't so much as do a alt/limited series of some kind to maybe catch some of that.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Film wise, it has been over 20 years and trying to continue off the second movie particularly would be just a massive mess. So rebooting probably makes sense.

Speaking of the games though. It does seem like they're kind of pulling an MCU problem here. Any fans who might jump over to the media.... are going to be horribly confused because the games aren't even vaguely about this anymore (unless they reboot again too). So it doesn't really draw any new fans to the franchise. Whether the fanservice gesture to the existing fans goes, remains to be seen.

This is not unprecedented of course, as I mentioned. The MCU movies have basically.... had a null effect in doing anything for their comics counterparts. Because the comics are way off in a completely unaligned variation. It's basically impossible for someone to pick up the MCU then jump into the comics because every aspect but the names and maybe costumes is so differing. And they didn't so much as do a alt/limited series of some kind to maybe catch some of that.
Well if the stuff I saw happen in MK 11 were a regular occurance, in the storyline part, not just the versus stuff, they would HAVE to reboot every so often, because they canonically KILL people. Like, Cutscene Kill, which holds more weight than all of the "you should be dead 20 times over" attacks in a regular fight. So since people like those characters coming back, wave the retcon wand (in mK11's case, the resetting time wand) so everything was as it was, and thus, all the people we straight up killed during the story, are back, and can keep showing up in later games.

I'm honestly not sure about the previous games when it comes to killing off people in the narrative, but...I mean it's MORTAL KOMBAT, if they AREN'T killing people wholesale, I'd be confused.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Because hey, if even a Backstreet Boy loves it, you know it’s real.