Mortal Kombat Team Ditching Midway?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Mortal Kombat Team Ditching Midway?

The development team behind the Mortal Kombat games is reportedly trying to split from Midway and form its own studio, according to rumors.

According to a number of sources who have spoken to Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5196568/mortal-kombat-team-looking-to-split-from-midway], the team of developers that create Midway's Mortal Kombat games are in active talks with other publishers to split from the beleaguered company and form their own studio.

Apparently, the team's fed up with poor business practices at Midway. They claim that after meeting sales targets for their most recent game, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, Midway failed to deliver bonus payments that they'd agreed to dole out. Furthermore, the MK team's frustrated with how Midway has handled its bankruptcy filing and generally are unhappy with the position they're forced to play as a breadwinner for the company.

Midway representatives denied the rumors, stating that the team is in "good shape." They also pointed out that the holdup on the bonus payments isn't Midway's fault, but "it's the unsecured creditors committee that is refusing to allow us to pay them."

This affair is just the latest in a seemingly neverending series of troubles over at Midway. Mortal Kombat was just about the single bright spot for the company, and if the people who make it what it is are trying to get out while the getting's good (if it even is), then it could be a fatal blow for the already ailing studio. Perhaps even a Fatality?

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
This does seem like a fatality when perhaps it should be a friendship? or even a babality?

There is almost a joke there but it is very late

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Midway representatives denied the rumors, stating that the team is in "good shape." They also pointed out that the holdup on the bonus payments isn't Midway's fault, but "it's the unsecured creditors committee that is refusing to allow us to pay them."
Sounds like the standard company response.
I'd be sick of it if I were the bread winner of the company too.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Did the MK team really have any skill? I recall all recent MKs being disasters anyway. Imagine Sega losing Sonic Team.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
In true Mortal Kombat spirit, I will be replacing all C's with K's in this post with the exception of this sentence.

If I had to make a game where Raiden fights Batman, I'd probably want to sever my ties with Miday too.

Of kourse, if anyone had been paying any attention to Midway's release patterns, the Mortal Kombat games dating bakk to at least Deadly Alliance were released before Ed Boon and the rest of the MK team wanted to. So maybe if they get free from Midway and make their own kompany, they'll release a fully-made game for onke. And not have to stomakh having to make games where, as mentioned before, the MK guys don't have to kikk the krap out of the DK lineup. 'Kause really, who favors the Green Lantern to beat Sub-Zero? Or who takes Superman over a soul-stealing skorkeror, namely Shang Tsung. It's just like, here's a skene from that fight:

Superman: "Halt, kitizen!"
SHLORP!
Shang Tsung: "Halt, Raiden!"
Raiden: *$&%!

ghaldar

Apr 2, 2009
I still have my old school sega with 6 button controllers for MK. The new game is also fairly entertaining. With a split Id wager we would get a great game released down the road.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
The Great JT said:
If I had to make a game where Raiden fights Batman, I'd probably want to sever my ties with Miday too.
Really? Do people really care about some kind of universe integrity in Mortal Kombat? I don't hink anyone complained about Marvell vs Capcom. I'd find it more likely that they loved the idea of getting their hands on DC characters that may have played a big role in their childhood. From what I heard Midway threw a ton of money at the project and of course failed to make much from it so maybe the team is to blame for Midway's demise (or maybe execs blamed them, whether they were at fault or not). No idea why they thought people would seriously buy a Mortal Kombat game in large numbers after the series has been run into the ground already. Then again Mortal Kombat has never sold on quality anyway, just on what "Nintendon't".

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Social Pariah said:
But... Mortal Kombat has been awful since the SNES... I'd hardly call them a breadwinner.
Hah, and I thought I was the only one who thought this franchise was utter crap.

Social Pariah

Nov 23, 2007
-Seraph- said:
Social Pariah said:
But... Mortal Kombat has been awful since the SNES... I'd hardly call them a breadwinner.
Hah, and I thought I was the only one who thought this franchise was utter crap.
Nope, it's been rather terrible ever since it went 3D, it's like it wants to be gory Soul Calibre but just can't manage it. It most certainly lived and died in the nineties, may it rest in peace.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Social Pariah said:
-Seraph- said:
Social Pariah said:
Nope, it's been rather terrible ever since it went 3D, it's like it wants to be gory Soul Calibre but just can't manage it. It most certainly lived and died in the nineties, may it rest in peace.
Perhaps with it out of the way Killer instinct can make a comeback. Ya know that game that is mortal kombat....but GOOD.

Aristol

Mar 19, 2009
Social Pariah said:
-Seraph- said:
Social Pariah said:
While MK's best days are probably behind them. I cant think of any other noteworthy games midway has released since NBA jam.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Mortal Kombat COULD be good again if they

1. Rebooted their franchise, bringing back the original cast and dropping the dipshit extra characters. Also revamp the characters, making them unique and interesting again.

2. Darken it up, none of this PG13 shit. And when I say darken it, I don't mean rediculous crotch shots or blood spray or skeletons. I mean, make the story DARK- emphasize the fact this is our universe's last hope to avoid a bloody war with an unstoppable, domineering, evil Empire.

3. Tighten the fighting aspect of the game to make it less about GET OVER HERE and more about actual fighting. Fighting games alas must hit that magical spot of being satisfying to novices AND obsessives alike, god help them.

4. Good writing. Good VA. No exscuses.

Smokeydubbs

Mar 18, 2009
I would like to see how the MK team would do by themselves. I still think Scorpion is the most badass fighter of all time.

Pots

Oct 9, 2007
I hope all goes well with them leaving Midway. MK needs to get good again.