Mortal Kombat X Release Date, Goro Pre-Order DLC Revealed

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Mortal Kombat X Release Date, Goro Pre-Order DLC Revealed

Gamers who pre-order Mortal Kombat X will gain exclusive access to Goro as a playable fighter.

I've never been much of a fan of fighting games, mostly because I suck horrendously at them. That said, I've still always had a lot of fun watching others play them, especially the various iterations of Mortal Kombat. Granted, the series as a whole is pretty much built on a foundation of shallow ultra violence, but you know what? Sometimes a bit of dumb gore can be just what the doctor ordered.

Fans looking for their next dose of virtual brutality, in turn, may want to mark April 14th, 2015 down on their calendars. That, according to a recent announcement from Warner Bros. Interactive, will be the multiplatform release date for NetherRealm Studios <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/9309-Mortal-Kombat-X-Announced>Mortal Kombat X. The follow-up to 2011's critically and commercially successful <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3250-Mortal-Kombat>franchise reboot, X will continue the franchise with "new challengers" that players will be able to master alongside longstanding fan favorites such as Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

Warner Bros also revealed that gamers who pre-order X will be privy to an exclusive DLC character: Goro. One of the series' most famous villains, his return in X (gated as it is) will mark his first playable appearance in the franchise in more than eight years.

Players interested in accessing Goro will have plenty of options when it comes to pre-ordering the game. In addition to releases on current gen consoles like the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134960-Mortal-Kombat-X-Revealed-in-New-Trailer>Mortal Kombat X will likewise be launching on PS3, Xbox 360 and Windows PC. Granted, some will probably be annoyed by the prospect of having to pre-order the game to get Goro, but we somehow suspect that the return of the infamous Shokan warrior might be enough to coax fans into parting with their dollars in advance.

Nov 28, 2007
I hope, I really hope, that there will at least be a character similar to Goro as playable in the game proper. That's the only way I'll accept Goro being locked away behind a pre-order/pay gate.

I'm excited for the new game, and glad to see that it has an official release date, but having a new character as a preorder bonus in a fighting game is...worrisome.

Edit: I also want to point out that it isn't just shallow ultraviolence that makes Mortal Kombat work. The impression that that is all fans want is what caused Midway to crash.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Oh look: More developers doing unnecessary pre-order bullshit! Because you know, buying a game before you can see any reviews on it makes you better than everybody else!

You know what would be a nice pre-order bonus? the removal of Liu Kang from my game, so i don't have to listen to that voice ever again. The removal of his vocal cords in a graphic cutscene would also be acceptable.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yep, they can just fuck right off now. Goro is awesome and the fact their hiding him behind a preorder bonus is bullshit. Day-one DLC pisses me off, but content like an entire fighter locked behind a preorder is fucking bullshit to the highest caliber.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Hopefully my boy Cage is in MKX so I can punch Goro in the nuts.

"Those were $500 dollar sunglasses asshole"

Nov 28, 2007
Soxafloppin said:

Cage is...not confirmed, but quite likely. Here's a list of all confirmed characters so far.

Scorpion, Sub-Zero, D'Vorah, Cassie Cage, Ferra/Tor, Kotal Kahn, Kano, Raiden, and now (kinda) Goro. The reason I said that Cage is quite likely is because not only did he and Sonya survive MK 9, Cassie Cage is their daughter. Bolded names are new characters.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
You know, I'm against pre-ordering in general and pre-order bonus incentives specifically. That said, I may make an exception in this case, not because I think the bonus is worth taking a chance on an unreleased game for, but because MK9 left me pretty confident in the future of the Mortal Kombat franchise. That and the gameplay videos we've seen so far are pretty nice.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Preorders will gain exclusive access to the FUCKING GAME THEY PURCHASED? Wow. Imagine that!

I wonder if I preorder Bayonetta 2 if they'll give me access to Bayonet-AAARGH HOW ARE PEOPLE STILL GETTING AWAY WITH THIS CRAP?

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
This is the sort of stuff you can shatter trust with long time and recent Mortal Kombat fans with crap like this.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Mcoffey said:
GoTY edition three years later on steam sale it is! Thanks for making it easy for me guys!
Same here. No reason to buy game on launch or even two days later for full price with all this pre-order bullshit. Hell, DLC in general devalues base games just by existing.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
thebobmaster said:
The reason I said that Cage is quite likely is because not only did he and Sonya survive MK 9, Cassie Cage is their daughter.
Actually, I think Cassie's presence would make it much less likely that either Johnny or Sonya will be playable. Especially because Cassie's fighting styles cover both of them along with one that's mixed. That being said they'd definitely be in the story mode, maybe they'll be unlocks like how Cyber Sub-Zero was in MK9.

OT: I'm not sure that I like this. Pre-order bonuses that are content are rather shitty but then again it will probably be purchasable a few weeks after release. Still, I'll be pre-ordering whatever collector's edition they have (provided it's not too pricey) anyway so it's not going to affect me.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Soxafloppin said:

Johnny most likely won't be back.. but his daughter is.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Those who wish to portray this as in any way damaging would do well to remember that the world isn't made up of just members of the minority that is the IGC, the majority are content with such things.
Those who state they'll be picking it up years later (which overlaps with the above I know)...clearly have no passion for the genre and wouldn't invest long into them in the first place so if you're going to be like that, than just skip the game dlc or no as its not for you going by the information you've presented. Not being rude, merely trying to save whatever little money and time you put into years down the line.

Now as for Mortal Kombat...nope. Being a Hoss and being good/interesting is difficult and Mortal Kombat has been around forever and has never displayed adequate technical ability. Granted a Hoss doesn't have to be technical (and some of my favourite guys are hosses) as Mortal Kombat proved early in their career, but that time has gone and I am sick of them as a singles performer. Find some damn ability, charisma, or failing that form a tag team with someone who is actually interesting and who can benefit from the rub of tagging with a veteran like Mortal Kombat.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
All these people bitching an moaning about this is too fucking high. Pre Order DLC should only be shunned when it's content ripped from the main game experience, or in the case of Metro, a difficulty level. This is fine, an additional character to fuck around with on top of all the other characters is something that I'm willing to pay before hand for. Hell, it's more than what Day Z or any of the other piece of shit Early Access games have promised!