Mortal Shell Gameplay Trailer & Beta Info

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

It looks interesting and promising, but man I’m going to need an extended breather from Soulslike stuff after getting through Ringed City. I’ve gotten Darkeater down to about 30% health but it’s such a grind, and one bad misread is death and starting all over again.

A few more details and one of the designer’s Artstation page.

A couple things that seem to need more work are how the character moves. Too much sliding going on when starting. I know it’s just key framed and not motion captured but that really shouldn’t matter as it can happen either way. The player’s footing should feel grounded and connected to the environment. This is one big thing I hope next gen improves upon greatly.

The other would be a enemy hit reactions are little weak for games like this yet. To use another genre example Guerrilla Games made Killzone 2/3 with a big emphasis on every bullet having an impact, and it showed with their hit response system, even on dead enemies. Even if you’re fighting a behemoth these melee combat games need to be doing more than hacking away with some blood or dust splashes and watching a health bar drain. The physical feedback the player gets from combat and clashing with enemies is integral, and really needs to be expanded upon more dynamically.

Last edited: