Mortasheen (Like Pokemon, But Better In Every Way)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Emiscary said:
hazabaza1 said:
Some fucked up stuff, yo.
But honestly, I think I prefer the cutsey stuff that Pokemon has going for it.
There's no shame in that ma'am.

:p

(I'll take a moment to point out the fact that I'm kidding. I find outside Canadians/The British it's not safe to assume people will get sarcasm. Especially in text >.>)
Well, luckily enough for you I am British, so there's that.

Emiscary said:
Also this:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/482060

Just because you're fucked up doesn't preclude you from being cutesy.
Awww, it's adorable uuuuh somewhat cute uuuuh sightly less horrible than I thought it would be uuuuuh... kinda cool.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
TheTim said:
Not better at all,

though i must admit that it is kinda fun guessing which pokemon designs they took from.
There's a grand total of like 2 that're based on actual Pokemon:

Necromon (duh)
&
Nosferachu (vampire mouse)

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
LilithSlave said:
Eh, too creepy. Not very cute at all.

I'll take my original Pokemon thank you.
Here's where I get confused:

You're capturing these animals in the wild, enslaving them, and making them fight for your entertainment.

Why is them being adorable a *selling* point?

Last I checked dog fighting rings don't typically go in for Labradoodles and Pound Puppies.

If you're in it to hear fluffy things mew at you go invest some $ in a Tamogochi. Way cheaper and it takes 1/100th the effort.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Emiscary said:

You're capturing these animals in the wild, enslaving them, and making them fight for your entertainment.

Last I checked dog fighting rings don't typically go in for Labradoodles and Pound Puppies.

If you're in it to hear fluffy things mew at you go invest some $ in a Tamogochi. Way cheaper and it takes 1/100th the effort.
Looks like soooooooomebody is a member of Team Plasma.

May 17, 2010
Emiscary said:
LilithSlave said:

Because you are looking at Pokemon with the adult part of your brain. Think of it more like a kid exploring with their pet dog, only their dog can occasionally fight with other Dogs but no one really get's hurt so it's fine.

Pokemon works because of it's cuteness, because of how safe and secure the world is.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
370999 said:
Emiscary said:
LilithSlave said:

Because you are looking at Pokemon with the adult part of your brain. Think of it more like a kid exploring with their pet dog, only their dog can occasionally fight with other Dogs but no one really get's hurt so it's fine.

Pokemon works because of it's cuteness, because of how safe and secure the world is.
Boo. Pokemon fans are grown-ups as much as young'uns nowadays. They should have something awesome like Mortasheen to mess around with. Where your "mons" are either grown in vats or telepathically bound to you, and you make use of them to slaughter your enemies or fight them in gladiator style pits for cheering crowds.

May 17, 2010
Emiscary said:
370999 said:
Emiscary said:
LilithSlave said:

Boo. Pokemon fans are grown-ups as much as young'uns nowadays. They should have something awesome like Mortasheen to mess around with. Where your "mons" are either grown in vats or telepathically bound to you, and you make use of them to slaughter your enemies or fight them in gladiator style pits for cheering crowds.
Well yes pokemon has a mixed demographic but I would say they enjoy it because of it's cheesy morals about friendship, cute design and silliness.

Star Wars was aimmed at teenage boys and it is still very enjoyable.

Also competitive battles.

I don't want to only have to do gladiatorial combat, I want to have nice sermons about friendship and cute looking things. I'm not disparaging your game but to say that it's superior to pokemon and people shouldn't play it is pushing it.

You want a gothic mon battler? Good for you. But for once I'm with LilithSlave in prefering this type of game.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Is there a cute red lizard with a flame on it's tail?

*ctrl+F lizard*

No. No there isn't, therefore the statement "like Pokemon but better in every way" is false.

(some of) The designs are fine I guess though.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Emiscary said:
LilithSlave said:

Because no one can call it dog fighting if they're chihuahuas? If something is cute it gets away with murder.

BiggyShackleton

Nov 15, 2008
There is some horrific shit in this thread. It's like HR Giger Pokemon, I'm scared.

http://www.icanbecreative.com/realistic-pokemon-characters-redesign.html

Who ever quoted that, some of these are amazing.

EDIT:

Okay I just saw this.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm just so bloody sick of the "MAKE IT GRITTY! MAKE IT DARK" that western game devs seem to think is the coolest thing on the planet. I'm not opposed to the style, but does everything have to be done that way?

Sirtety

Nov 29, 2011
As much as I love Pokemon, I'm totally willing to try this out. If I want a kid friendly animal fighting simulator, heck yea nintendo will get my money! If I want to try something a little darker and crazier, a bizarre setting like this sounds awesomely brutal!

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Its certainly not better or even close to Pokemon at what Pokemon does and aims to do. I know the creator likes Pokemon, and may even take some inspiration from it but what they are doing is in a completely different realm and aim.

However it is an interesting concept and a bit fun to read some of the monster profiles. I particularly like the Devil Bird: Sloth shown below. However I wouldn't buy anything related to the franchise. The setting isn't that interesting and any games would be unlikely to interest me.

CLASS: DEVIL BIRD
The devil bird of Sloth doesn't do anything.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Emiscary said:
TheTim said:
Not better at all,

though i must admit that it is kinda fun guessing which pokemon designs they took from.
There's a grand total of like 2 that're based on actual Pokemon:

Necromon (duh)
&
Nosferachu (vampire mouse)
You have to look a little deeper

Doldrum - Aggron
Gasjack- Hippopotas
Littlerthug - Carnivine
Septacle - Cradily
Gezoond - Murkrow
Coccyx - Geodude

There are probably more that i just couldn't make the connection with or didn't get to because they started looking boring