Most Beautiful Video Game Location?

Astiahl

May 2, 2011
Just Cause 2 (one day I will have a PC that can run it on max...ONE DAY!), so very awesome...and if you can see it you can go there. Shadow of the Colossus deserves mention, everything was beautiful...too bad my dog chewed up the game disk when I was halfway through...

Black Velvetopia from Psychonauts deserves an honorable mention.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
I would like to second the world of Shadow of The Colossus. The entire overworld is amazing, but one part always stood out to me: the vast open plain you travel over to fight the ninth colossus. It always felt very real to me.

Some of the locations in Alan Wake were really amazing.

Also I'd probably have to say one of the big cathedrals in Assassin's Creed 2. Can't remember the name of it, but it's the one covered in gold murals. The first time I walked in I literally just stood there for like five minutes gaping at the screen.

Irriduccibilli

Jun 15, 2010
Red Dead Redemption. Have anyone actually taken their time just admirering the view from the top of a hill. Beautiful

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I always thought Isle Delfino from Super Mario Sunshine looked absolutely gorgeous, even with all of the demonic goo everywhere.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Many minecraft vistas just make your jaw drop.
Say what you want about the game but Brutal Legend's aesthetic has not yet been surpassed.
During Bulletstorm there were moments whne I just had to stop, put down the controller and ogle at the backdrops.

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
Metroid Prime Phendrana Drifts or Tallon Overworld. ... Actually thinking about anything from that game reminds me of how beautiful it all was.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
Rome/Florence/Venice from the Assassin's Creed series are great - the buildings seem authentic to an extent and Renaissance architecture is just incredible.

Nagrand from World of Warcraft is pretty stunning too.

Portal 2 had some great setpieces as well.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Nagrand and zangermarsh in WoW.
Once, when my sister was having another of her "omg gamez r so dumb"-episodes, I let her fly around nagrand for a while. (on a netherdrake no less, spoiled princess!) And that shut her up. (at least for a while)

Final fantasy x also had some really nice ones, especially compared to games that came out around the same time. Like besaid beach and macalania forest.

And if guild wars 2 delivers what it promises in the trailers, it will easily make my top 5 of most beautiful games.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Red Dead Redemption had a fuck-tonne of awesome scenery. I wish it had a 'take picture with movable camera!' mode.

Jun 11, 2008
Guild Wars, all Final Fantasy(especially XIII if it has nothing else to offer), and the PoP game for the 360 that was cel shaded are full of beautiful locations.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Biosophilogical said:
I have a soft spot for Nolun/Norune village in Dark Cloud (anyone who recognises me will notice that I've been posting about Dark Cloud a lot recently, and that's because as a 10 year old game, it is still magnificent). For one, there are plenty of ways to design it, secondly, it has such attractive houses and stuff, and that doesn't even count that you get to place a river through it at your discretion. It just has that home-y feel to it, and building it yourself just makes it that much better.
Very true, shame you don't get that much space or stuff to work with. There's only so much you can do with 20 tiles of river and 10 trees. (Don't shoot me if I got the numbers wrong)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well I always love the following places-

Plunder Island from Curse of Monkey Island
Isle Delfino from Super Mario Sunshine
Shing Jea Island (well certain places on the island) from Guild Wars Faction
Every places in Okami

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I'd have to say some parts of Oblivion are well done, but most breathtaking would prolly have to be Shadow of the Colossus. Though it has aged I'll never remember pawning my N64 and bringing home a PS2 with that game the visuals where astounding just a few years back... tho i really wish i kept the N64 and the two Zelda games...

EDIT: Stonecore in WoW cataclysm is beautiful, after a few drinks spent 20 minutes flying around trying to remember why I was there, but was to distracted by pretty colors. Zangamarsh also.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Ulduar in World of Wacraft. I don't play or like the game any more, but Ulduar, and Storm Peaks in general, I found breathtaking. the night sky, the music, the snowy terrain, the titan technology, it was awesome. Vashj'ir, Throne of Tides and Vortex Pinnacle were equally beautiful.

Apart from the opening scene showing Imperial City, I don't find Oblivion that beautiful really, despite how much I love the game. Venice in AC2 definitely deserves mention, though all of AC2 was pretty amazing aesthetically, not-so-much in AC:B. Skyrim and AC:revelations will probably add some locations to the list in November.

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
OhJohnNo said:
Space, Homeworld.

The above is one tiny smidgen of the sheer beauty in Homeworld's galaxy.
My rendition of the iconic mothership :) [http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/80449637/] and yes its from Homeworld 2, but it still counts.