most captivating tv show/anime you have watched recently?

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
well so what is the latest tv show or anime or whatever that you recently started watching that you just can't stop?

mine would be higurashi(when they cry)

dear god this anime is so disturbing and twisted, until the end i wasn't really sure if anyone was good or bad or what, especially when everyone started pulling out knives(/cleavers/metal bats/torture equipment) but the fact is even though they brutally killed innocents so many times, i still found the characters likable and i just haven't been able to stop watching,

so what's yours?

Viper1265

Jul 12, 2009
Young Animator Training Project 2011 - Wasurenagumo

Only a standalone episode but its been a week and I'm STILL mad about the ending (in a good way)

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Well I haven't watched any anime for a long time, I tried finding stuff on Netflix but couldn't see anything that tickled my fancy. [sub]lol[/sub]

TV shows, I recently watched the full 2 seasons of The Walking Dead and really enjoyed it. More than I thought it would. I liked how they focused on character development, rather than PEW PEW, Zombies, PEW!
Although I heard they had to cute the budget for season 2, which would explain the lack of zombies...
Just waiting for season three now ^.^

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010

Roswell Conspiracies: Aliens, Myths, and Legends.

While I didn't watch this series in its entirety until a couple of days ago, I had seen a few episodes of it back when it first aired in 1999 when I was little, but my mother told me not to watch it (funny enough, this was about the same time that I was secretly playing the original fallout, but it was actually harder to hide what I was playing on the computer than what I was watching on TV). I had been nostalgiaing hard while viewing the intros to cartoons from the nineties when I remembered some brief moments from the intro of this series. After getting the name of it from the helpful people at r/tipofmytongue, I watched the entire thing pretty much straight through.

As a series that I've never seen brought up, it's level of quality astounded me. It's a show about a guy hired by an agency known as "the alliance" which is tasked with controlling the aliens on an earth where all myths are true and they're all from outer space. Comparisons might be immediately drawn to Men In Black, but the show seems more like the x-files in that the entire show is driven by a bunch of conspiracy and mystery that builds over the course of the series. Unlike x-files, though, the show comes up with a very satisfactory answer to most of the questions that arise in the last few episodes. This can be good and bad at times, but I'd say that the series is, overall, better for it. The ensemble nature of the show also gives it a feeling somewhat reminiscent of StarGate SG-1, but doesn't have quite as much of a sense of discovery, nor does it build up quite as much of a universe.

It seems to suffer from the fact that it can't decide if it wants to be a kid's show or a show for young adults. In one episode, it explains away a bunch of missing people as having been in hibernation, but another episode simply accepts that everyone that disappeared from a town had been eaten, no "they were only being hidden" or "everything is suddenly better". On other occasions, the show very intelligently delves into the moral complexity of the premise that other shows might gloss over, only to slap a last minute "and that's terrible" asope at the end. The show has everyone conveniently eject from their blown up air craft in some episodes while another episode has the protagonist grapple a vampire into a rock dissolving laser which he then follows up with a bond one liner. There is a moment when one of the characters says "we are out of laser range" and uses EMP as a Phlebotinum that works fairly realistically in one episodes while causing anything and everything to spontaneously explode in another. Then again, a show about the protagonist punching the alien equivalent of vampires and werewolves in the face was probably never about authenticity.

With all that said, when it makes up it's mind, it's a really fun show. The show has quite few ass pulls to resolve conflicts as is to be expected from a kids show, but there are a surprising number of instances where the solution to a given problem is the result of careful plotting and use of previously established entities in the given context. During the finale, they raise the stakes so incredibly high that I was sure that some magical ring of power would appear out of nowhere, but nope, pretty much every problem was solved with something that they have previously shown on the show. A "where are they now" montage episode at the end would have made the ending far more satisfying, but the ending succeeds at what it tries to accomplish. From hilariously over the top montages of the protagonist punching people in the face, to the enormous helpings of "parental bonus" humor, to the ability of episodes to work both as stand alone as well as in the myth arc, to the show's awareness, the production team certainly did an impressive job.

Sadly, the only DVD release so far has only had episodes 1-20, but all of the episodes are on youtube. They're about twenty minutes a piece and there are forty in total.

DragynFyre

Apr 22, 2011
I'm really enjoying Deadman Wonderland and Kurokami.

I don't really want to spoil either, but they're both really quality animes. I highly recommend Deadman Wonderland and at only 10 episodes and an OVA, its not too much of a commitment. Original and memorable concept with twisted enough characters you might enjoy.

Kurokami I'm only 6 episodes into. So far it has an interesting concept with some brutal hand-to-hand combat that is excellently animated. Can't say much besides that.

Also if you have the time GO WATCH TEKKONKINKREET. BEST. MOVIE. EVER. GAH ITS PERFECT.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Matt King said:
well so what is the latest tv show or anime or whatever that you recently started watching that you just can't stop?

mine would be higurashi(when they cry)

dear god this anime is so disturbing and twisted, until the end i wasn't really sure if anyone was good or bad or what, especially when everyone started pulling out knives(/cleavers/metal bats/torture equipment) but the fact is even though they brutally killed innocents so many times, i still found the characters likable and i just haven't been able to stop watching,

so what's yours?
Higurashi is originally a VN I think. There's more than just that one, but probably not in anime form.

Steins;gate and Fate/zero are the latest I've watched that were really captivating, but then they told me to stop watching Fate/zero because I hadn't finished Fate/stay night VN yet >_> Well, I should do that, but I miss watching it and I've been busy XD

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Wenseph said:
Matt King said:

so what's yours?
Higurashi is originally a VN I think. There's more than just that one, but probably not in anime form.

Steins;gate and Fate/zero are the latest I've watched that were really captivating, but then they told me to stop watching Fate/zero because I hadn't finished Fate/stay night VN yet >_> Well, I should do that, but I miss watching it and I've been busy XD
Who wants a dating simulator that stars murderous women?
I... sick, sick Japanese.

Iyon

Recovering Lurker
May 16, 2012
I don't really watch anime very much, but Code Geass managed to keep me hooked.

Also, I recently decided to check out Community. It did not disappoint. I don't know what took me so long.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Recently, Aoi Bungaku (Blue Literature)

It's six stories based on classic Japanese literature, and every one of them, particularly the first one, are very, very good, and I encourage people to watch it.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Sym-Bionic Titan.

I missed out on this show during its original airing due to lack of cable but I've been able to watch again and its AMAZING.

And it proves that Cartoon Network is run by IDIOTS since they canceled it after one season because it didn't have a supporting toyline.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Accel world now if only it would stop ending in fucking cliffhangers it's really starting to piss me off.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
I've recently been on a massive Marvel Universe marathon, watching all the animated series'. So far watched Xmen Evolution, Wolverine and the Xmen, Avengers; Earths Mightiest Heroes (still in the middle of season 2) and a bunch of the more recent animated movies (Planet Hulk is definately the best of the 8 of them).

I may soon go and rewatch all the older 90s series' too, cos the original xmen cartoon was ace, and they often crossed over with Spiderman for things like the Secret Wars special.

Before that, I discovered the series W.I.T.C.H., which is utterly awesome. In fact it's the only series I've ever watched that I liked so much that I immediately went back and watched the entire thing again. Unfortunately it got cancelled after 2 seasons.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
TheIronRuler said:
Who wants a dating simulator that stars murderous women?
I... sick, sick Japanese.
Visual novel doesn't mean it's a dating simulator, it simply means you "play" through the events of the story and make choices. It's just that dating simulators are the most popular kind.

Back on topic, I also loved Higurashi, liked Umineko a lot (though I felt it could have been better), and adored Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Wenseph said:
Steins;gate and Fate/zero are the latest I've watched that were really captivating
Damn, I've never been this accurately ninja'd before. But yeah, Steins;Gate which I've watched a year ago, and loved, and Fate/Zero which I am currently watching, and loving.

As for the Fate/Stay Night VN, a lot of references are lost in Fate/Zero if you haven't read the VN, but Zero is still very much watchable without the Stay Night VN IMO.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Hawk of Battle said:
I've recently been on a massive Marvel Universe marathon, watching all the animated series'. So far watched Xmen Evolution, Wolverine and the Xmen, Avengers; Earths Mightiest Heroes (still in the middle of season 2) and a bunch of the more recent animated movies (Planet Hulk is definately the best of the 8 of them).

I may soon go and rewatch all the older 90s series' too, cos the original xmen cartoon was ace, and they often crossed over with Spiderman for things like the Secret Wars special.

Before that, I discovered the series W.I.T.C.H., which is utterly awesome. In fact it's the only series I've ever watched that I liked so much that I immediately went back and watched the entire thing again. Unfortunately it got cancelled after 2 seasons.
Ewww. You liked Planet Hulk. I mean, I know the Marvel animated movies don't give you a ton of great material compared to the DC animated movies, but Planet Hulk? I mean. What about Hulk vs or the Iron Man one.

If you have netflix you can watch all the old 90's Xmen cartoon in a really good quality and the Ultimate Spiderman series that was out in...was it early 2000's? Not sure about that.

On topic! I recently watched this anime on netflix called Baccano! and while I was horribly confused for like...90% of the movie because of the way it switched between characters and years and plots at will with no warnin at all, I was so very intrigued that I watched the entire season in one sittin which I rarely ever do.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
ZehMadScientist said:
Wenseph said:
Steins;gate and Fate/zero are the latest I've watched that were really captivating
Damn, I've never been this accurately ninja'd before. But yeah, Steins;Gate which I've watched a year ago, and loved, and Fate/Zero which I am currently watching, and loving.

As for the Fate/Stay Night VN, a lot of references are lost in Fate/Zero if you haven't read the VN, but Zero is still very much watchable without the Stay Night VN IMO.
I'm on the third route, heavens feel, but they said there was spoilers in Fate/Zero. I had only played through the first route when I watched the first six episode of that anime and I've probably spoiled part of heavens feel already, but I'll try to finish it before watching the rest of Fate/zero.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Sean Hollyman said:
I only just recently started Breaking Bad
and Gurren Lagann
Started watching Gurren Lagann recently. It didn't grab me. I'm about 16-17 episodes in and I decided to leave it for a bit later (is it getting any better afterwards?). I decided to watch Soul Eater instead. I finished that today. That was awesome - I loved it.

I'll have to add Higurashi to my "To check out" list.