most captivating tv show/anime you have watched recently?

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
I am adoring Bakuman right now. Its so meta, it hurts!

DVS BSTrD said:
Sorry to be terribly mainstream, but I have to say Legend of Korra. I haven't started watching any new shows recently.
Don't worry. I'm a Korrasexual. Its not too bad.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Shamanic Princess is my all-time favorite, but I also love Seirei no Moribito very much.

As for TV, Game of Thrones, of course. It's really the only reason we have cable. Walking Dead as well.

OZWIN

May 14, 2012
Was really into Sons of Anarchy and now I'm waiting for the new season to start on TV in September.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
EeveeElectro said:
TV shows, I recently watched the full 2 seasons of The Walking Dead and really enjoyed it. More than I thought it would. I liked how they focused on character development, rather than PEW PEW, Zombies, PEW!
Although I heard they had to cute the budget for season 2, which would explain the lack of zombies...
Just waiting for season three now ^.^
I've started season one (Thanks Netflix!) and I'm pretty well hooked.
Also thanks to Netflix, I can enjoy Twin Peaks again.

Apart from Netflix - I really enjoyed Alcatraz.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Arkvoodle said:
Sym-Bionic Titan.

I missed out on this show during its original airing due to lack of cable but I've been able to watch again and its AMAZING.

And it proves that Cartoon Network is run by IDIOTS since they canceled it after one season because it didn't have a supporting toyline.
This pisses me off so much! And it was getting good too!

OT: Well, there is Avatar: The Legend of Korra.

I've also been re-watching this cartoon that was on Disney channel a few years back: Filmore, a cartoon about a kid on his safety partol group at school. Sounds simply enough, even a bit boring...this show is like CSI for kids, minus a lot of the bullshit, with a few deeper points. Seriously, points about integrity, logic, and a slew of other things are in this cartoon. It's fuckin boss, and Filmore is a fucking boss. Sure, with my older brain I can figure out who did what at times, but other times the storylines send me for a fucking loop with a character I never expected being the culprit. If my Middle school had a safety patrol like that, I would've been boss!

Aside from that...well, there is this one show I started watching. Saw episode one at a friends house and found it pretty interesting. That cartoon is called Motorcity. It's created by Chris Prynoski, a gentlemen who has worked on cartoons like, SuperJail, Metalocalpyse, China,IL and a show I hold dear to my hear, MegasXLR.

It takes place pretty far into the future in a city known as Detroit Deluxe. Or, at least that's what the upper half is called. Detroit Deluxe was built by a Abraham Kane (voiced by Mark Hamil) A billionaire who bought up a bankrupt Detroit and offered the city of the future. Kane co developed things that helped the city improve but after awhile he began drifting into more sketchy experiments. It wasn't long before he want full villain, holding this persona of a kind and benevolent benefactor but he holds the city with an iron grip. Most of the population is either too stupid or simply too caught up in the "pretty-pretty-shiny-shiny" parts of the city that they haven't realized their freedoms are gone. Kane has even gone to the point of banning automobiles and people only being allowed to move around on his watch and permission.

That's where Motorcity comes in. Motorcity is an underground city, what's left of old Detroit, still existing beneath Detroit Deluxe. Those who realized that Kane wasn't to be trusted and those who still managed to get out of the city after his full take over, reside in Motorcity. Kane is constantly trying to take control of Motorcity using a number of experiments and robots, so he can finally add cross it off his list and add it to his Utopia of tomorrow, but only one thing is truly stopping him: The Burners. A rag-tag team of teens and people with suped up cars trying to simply protect Motorcity as well as do anything they can to finally free the rest of Detroit and defeat Kane.

The show seems pretty cool, even though some the characters might be a bit typical. My onlry real complaint is that things seem rushed right now, but I remember reading that they want to develop the world a bit first before the big overall plot kicks in. Overall, I enjoyed it more than I honestly expected and there are currently only 3 episodes out. Since I don't have Disney XD, I couldn't watch the latest episode and the damn website hasn't updated yet, nor has it been posted on any site.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra, though because there are only six episodes out for Korra, I'm not sure that counts.

Gir1yG4m3r

Dec 22, 2009
My boyfriend and I recently sat down to watch Durarara! It is just awesome. With most anime, we are leery or watch it purely for the cute anime girls and humor. We have a couple episodes left, but it has so far had us in its grasp for the last week. It is funny, it has very memorable characters, has quality music, and has a ton of heart. We will be watching Baccano, next. I haven't watched an anime this good since Cowboy Bebop, I think.

A couple months or so ago, we watched Air Gear. It was honestly quite funny and fun, but ended horribly. It kind of left you stunned in that fashion, but the rest was pretty cool with surprising characters.

OF course, we are watching Korra and Young Justice every week. Some people have been giving Korra a large amount of flack, but we are enjoying the thing to pieces. Pieces! It feels like a breath of fresh air with some of the crap that's on the tv these days.

I force my boyfriend to watch the Avengers cartoon. It's not horrible, but it's not the greatest. It's a fun thing to put on while you are occupied a bit with something else.

We're fans of paranormal, fantasy, and horror, so we've been watching 'Lost Girl' on Scifi. It's not bad. It is pretty sexy, and decently accurate in its depictions of the Fae. During some of the sex scenes, we both had our mouths on the floor with how graphic Scifi was actually being. It's like Supernatural, but with a girl duo, a little more compelling, and honestly much better chemistry between the two girls.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Well it's Breaking Bad Season 3 Episode 3. Since getting Netflix the only other thing I've watched is Pandorum(good film) and a few episodes of Spaced.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Sean Hollyman said:
I only just recently started Breaking Bad
A future Heisenberger. Oh wait...Breaking Bad fans don't give ourselves names.

OT: Breaking Bad is my answer. I think it is the best show of all time. Four seasons in, I've not seen a single poor episode. Everything is perfect, or as close to perfection as can be: The pacing, acting, writing, music, and cinematography are all top-notch. The term "emotional roller-coaster" was made for this.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Matt King said:
well so what is the latest tv show or anime or whatever that you recently started watching that you just can't stop?

mine would be higurashi(when they cry)

dear god this anime is so disturbing and twisted, until the end i wasn't really sure if anyone was good or bad or what, especially when everyone started pulling out knives(/cleavers/metal bats/torture equipment) but the fact is even though they brutally killed innocents so many times, i still found the characters likable and i just haven't been able to stop watching,

so what's yours?
This show was a little too strange, gory, misleading, and complex for me to actually enjoy, so I bailed after the first character's story arc. I will give props to the creator of the series for making quite possibly the cutest characters to ever be killed, tortured, and look damn scary.

So I instead have recently finished reading the short manga Shiki.

[http://photobucket.com/images/shiki]

Though not really ground breaking by any means (only because I've read other mangas with a similar premise), it had a lot of characters that were interesting and I was interested in how they progressed throughout the story. And man are there a lot of plot twists in this manga!

The best character in this series? The Young Doctor Ozaki hands down.

[http://photobucket.com/images/shiki%20ozaki]

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009

Sh!t, Cowboy Bebop is the Classiest F*cking Anime of all damn time! The intro is prime example, with the ending just...holy awesome!!

Blondefool

Feb 24, 2012
Ouran High school Host Club. Amazingly funny with some well written characters who you actually see grow during the season. Some pretty dark moments as well (compared to the general tone of the show)

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Well Xamd Lost memories starts sucking halfway through then has a very shitty ending.

I want to watch "Another" and "future Diary" next

Also sands of destruction was fun.

Lewieroo0

Feb 2, 2009
Matt King said:
well so what is the latest tv show or anime or whatever that you recently started watching that you just can't stop?

dear god this anime is so disturbing and twisted, until the end i wasn't really sure if anyone was good or bad or what, especially when everyone started pulling out knives(/cleavers/metal bats/torture equipment) but the fact is even though they brutally killed innocents so many times, i still found the characters likable and i just haven't been able to stop watching,

so what's yours?
To be honest, I found that while I liked Higurashi at first (watched it a few months ago and recently re-watched it), it just gets worse for me every time I watch it. I find it too depressing and it leaves too many questions left unanswered until the 2nd season, and considering the things that happen and character motivations it's going to have to be something good, plus I feel rather hit and miss between certain characters (except for Shion which I despise with a passion and I want to strangle Rika every time she says bloody "Ni-Pa"). I haven't seen the 2nd season yet but I feel that it will either make or break the series for me.

As for shows I've been recently been captivated by, Live action wise I would have to say Doctor Who as I finally got around to watching it and ended up loving it from it's charismatic, charming main lead to it's creative worlds and creatures. As for Anime, Recently saw Eden of The East which I found quite interesting, Having a great lead (really liked the dub role for him and his personality) and interesting Story + Concept (Makes me think what I would do if given 10 Billion yen to save Japan).

The Great Fa

May 25, 2008
Recently I have been utterly obsessed with Revolutionary Girl Utena. I only saw it for the first time, I don't know, a couple months ago, but I then proceeded to watch it another two times after that. I'd have to say it's my new favorite.

It's a wonderfully surreal story about adolescent angst (without actually being angsty) and the transition from that head space into that of an adult. Or maybe it's about how awesome lesbians are and how all men are evil sexual predators out to get you. Or shit, I don't know, maybe it's just about sword fighting, sexy cars, and incest. Anyway, it's pretty singular.

Also, I think it's worth noting that the fight music in this show is composed by a man whose background is in Japanese avant-garde theater from the eighties. Yeah.

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
Lewieroo0 said:
Matt King said:

so what's yours?
To be honest, I found that while I liked Higurashi at first (watched it a few months ago and recently re-watched it), it just gets worse for me every time I watch it. I find it too depressing and it leaves too many questions left unanswered until the 2nd season, and considering the things that happen and character motivations it's going to have to be something good, plus I feel rather hit and miss between certain characters (except for Shion which I despise with a passion and I want to strangle Rika every time she says bloody "Ni-Pa"). I haven't seen the 2nd season yet but I feel that it will either make or break the series for me.

As for shows I've been recently been captivated by, Live action wise I would have to say Doctor Who as I finally got around to watching it and ended up loving it from it's charismatic, charming main lead to it's creative worlds and creatures. As for Anime, Recently saw Eden of The East which I found quite interesting, Having a great lead (really liked the dub role for him and his personality) and interesting Story + Concept (Makes me think what I would do if given 10 Billion yen to save Japan).
the second season does redeem the show quite a lot in my opinion

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
CrimsonBlaze said:
Matt King said:

so what's yours?
This show was a little too strange, gory, misleading, and complex for me to actually enjoy, so I bailed after the first character's story arc. I will give props to the creator of the series for making quite possibly the cutest characters to ever be killed, tortured, and look damn scary.
[http://photobucket.com/images/shiki%20ozaki]
can i just say, they have found ways through alternate story arcs so they can kill the main characters again and again and again and almost every single one of them has a killing rampage

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Most recent Anime that caught me? Hellsing Ultimate. Over the top, overly crazy, but very well stylized and neat. Too bad it's coming out so damned slow.

Show? Stargate Universe, I'm not to the end but I know that CANCELLED is the worst ending one could run into. So that'll be fun when I get to that. Fuck you sci-fi channel, cancel one of your dumb movies and you'd have more room for a great show.