most captivating tv show/anime you have watched recently?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Sorry to be so terribly mainstream, but I have to say Legend of Korra. I haven't started watching any new shows recently.
Pretty much this as well. It's the only thing that get's my lazy ass out of bed saturday morning. I gotta admit, it's a damn good series so far and I can't wait to see what happens next. :D

Lewieroo0

Feb 2, 2009
Matt King said:
Lewieroo0 said:
Matt King said:
well so what is the latest tv show or anime or whatever that you recently started watching that you just can't stop?

mine would be higurashi(when they cry)

dear god this anime is so disturbing and twisted, until the end i wasn't really sure if anyone was good or bad or what, especially when everyone started pulling out knives(/cleavers/metal bats/torture equipment) but the fact is even though they brutally killed innocents so many times, i still found the characters likable and i just haven't been able to stop watching,

so what's yours?
To be honest, I found that while I liked Higurashi at first (watched it a few months ago and recently re-watched it), it just gets worse for me every time I watch it. I find it too depressing and it leaves too many questions left unanswered until the 2nd season, and considering the things that happen and character motivations it's going to have to be something good, plus I feel rather hit and miss between certain characters (except for Shion which I despise with a passion and I want to strangle Rika every time she says bloody "Ni-Pa"). I haven't seen the 2nd season yet but I feel that it will either make or break the series for me.

As for shows I've been recently been captivated by, Live action wise I would have to say Doctor Who as I finally got around to watching it and ended up loving it from it's charismatic, charming main lead to it's creative worlds and creatures. As for Anime, Recently saw Eden of The East which I found quite interesting, Having a great lead (really liked the dub role for him and his personality) and interesting Story + Concept (Makes me think what I would do if given 10 Billion yen to save Japan).
the second season does redeem the show quite a lot in my opinion
i'm curious as to how it will go. I've heard it tones down the gruesomeness in comparison to the 1st season and focuses straight on answering all questions from said 1st. The only question that i'm gonna hold with high expectations is why the hell Shion went to such extremes JUST because she couldn't find her little crush (It really angered me how bloody thick headed she was :mad: )

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
BBC Sherlock. Full-stop. Only 6 episodes and a very long wait between seasons, but I just can't get enough of it.

I've also taken a huge liking to Adventure Time after taking a leave from the pony fandom, and I definitely find it much more engaging. Oh, and Korra. But who isn't loving Korra?

Edit: As far as anime, the only one I've watched recently is Shirokuma Cafe, but I wouldn't call it "captivating"...

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Lewieroo0 said:
Matt King said:
Lewieroo0 said:
Matt King said:
well so what is the latest tv show or anime or whatever that you recently started watching that you just can't stop?

dear god this anime is so disturbing and twisted, until the end i wasn't really sure if anyone was good or bad or what, especially when everyone started pulling out knives(/cleavers/metal bats/torture equipment) but the fact is even though they brutally killed innocents so many times, i still found the characters likable and i just haven't been able to stop watching,

so what's yours?
To be honest, I found that while I liked Higurashi at first (watched it a few months ago and recently re-watched it), it just gets worse for me every time I watch it. I find it too depressing and it leaves too many questions left unanswered until the 2nd season, and considering the things that happen and character motivations it's going to have to be something good, plus I feel rather hit and miss between certain characters (except for Shion which I despise with a passion and I want to strangle Rika every time she says bloody "Ni-Pa"). I haven't seen the 2nd season yet but I feel that it will either make or break the series for me.

As for shows I've been recently been captivated by, Live action wise I would have to say Doctor Who as I finally got around to watching it and ended up loving it from it's charismatic, charming main lead to it's creative worlds and creatures. As for Anime, Recently saw Eden of The East which I found quite interesting, Having a great lead (really liked the dub role for him and his personality) and interesting Story + Concept (Makes me think what I would do if given 10 Billion yen to save Japan).
i'm curious as to how it will go. I've heard it tones down the gruesomeness in comparison to the 1st season and focuses straight on answering all questions from said 1st. The only question that i'm gonna hold with high expectations is why the hell Shion went to such extremes JUST because she couldn't find her little crush (It really angered me how bloody thick headed she was :mad: )
Actually, that one does sorta have an answer that's hinted at during the first season and sort of confirmed in the second.

I won't spoil it too much but...let's just say there's something in that town that can make anyone go a little batshit bonkers unless they're careful.

Lewieroo0

Feb 2, 2009
Infernai said:
Lewieroo0 said:
Matt King said:
Lewieroo0 said:
Matt King said:

so what's yours?

Actually, that one does sorta have an answer that's hinted at during the first season and sort of confirmed in the second.

I won't spoil it too much but...let's just say there's something in that town that can make anyone go a little batshit bonkers unless they're careful.
well, when I get around to watching it I shall find out ;) Although she'll probably remain on my list of worst characters if the reason don't feel legit to me, her actions just felt WAAY too mean spirited and nonsensical.

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
Lewieroo0 said:
Matt King said:
Lewieroo0 said:
Matt King said:

so what's yours?

well it'a alot do to with the reasons everyone always goes insane and the little blue girl ( i can't remember her name) i think she becomes a much bigger character

and this next bit is spoilers
shion did it because she and gone insane, that's the reason any of them attack people, the only person to come out of their insanity naturally was rika and that was thanks to keichi
alot of the next season is explaining the cause for the insanity

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Aside from ponies? Legend of Korra. I loved the original Avatar: The Last Airbender series and this one's still got the spirit of the original.
It's just sad that most of the entire original cast is long gone. I'm surprised Toph didn't live a bit longer considering she was the youngest of the gaang.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
shintakie10 said:
Hawk of Battle said:
I've recently been on a massive Marvel Universe marathon, watching all the animated series'. So far watched Xmen Evolution, Wolverine and the Xmen, Avengers; Earths Mightiest Heroes (still in the middle of season 2) and a bunch of the more recent animated movies (Planet Hulk is definately the best of the 8 of them).

I may soon go and rewatch all the older 90s series' too, cos the original xmen cartoon was ace, and they often crossed over with Spiderman for things like the Secret Wars special.

Before that, I discovered the series W.I.T.C.H., which is utterly awesome. In fact it's the only series I've ever watched that I liked so much that I immediately went back and watched the entire thing again. Unfortunately it got cancelled after 2 seasons.
Ewww. You liked Planet Hulk. I mean, I know the Marvel animated movies don't give you a ton of great material compared to the DC animated movies, but Planet Hulk? I mean. What about Hulk vs or the Iron Man one.

If you have netflix you can watch all the old 90's Xmen cartoon in a really good quality and the Ultimate Spiderman series that was out in...was it early 2000's? Not sure about that.

On topic! I recently watched this anime on netflix called Baccano! and while I was horribly confused for like...90% of the movie because of the way it switched between characters and years and plots at will with no warnin at all, I was so very intrigued that I watched the entire season in one sittin which I rarely ever do.
What? The Ironman movie was the worst of the lot. Slow as hell build up, terrible fight scenes and shoddy cgi animation, and the villains were all poorly explained and had no personality. They even ruined the Mandarin by only having him show up in the last 5 minutes. At least Planet Hulk stays reasonably close to the original comic and has good fight scenes, and doesn't do any of that jarring shitty cgi crap. The Warbound were also more interesting than pretty much any character from Ironman too.

Hulk VS was pretty good though.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Hawk of Battle said:
What? The Ironman movie was the worst of the lot. Slow as hell build up, terrible fight scenes and shoddy cgi animation, and the villains were all poorly explained and had no personality. They even ruined the Mandarin by only having him show up in the last 5 minutes. At least Planet Hulk stays reasonably close to the original comic and has good fight scenes, and doesn't do any of that jarring shitty cgi crap. The Warbound were also more interesting than pretty much any character from Ironman too.

Hulk VS was pretty good though.
Eh, my issue with Planet Hulk is the same problem I have with a lot of animated stuff featurin Hulk. They just tell Banner to fuck off and practically ignore that he exists. It isn't like its without precedent in the comics, but Hulk without Banner always just seems so...shallow.

In fact, the only animated thing I've seen where Bruce actually does anythin outside of get mad and turn into the Hulk is the old animated series. Outside of that? Meh. Heck, the new Avengers: Earth Mightiest Heroes (which I loved) starts off with Banner bein hand waved away for the rest of the series. It simplifies things, sure, but it still annoys me.

Khazidhea

Oct 23, 2008
Just curious to why some people have mentioned Alcatraz, I'm afraid I have quite a different opinion on it. I'm not wanting to be negative about it here though, so I'll just ask for what makes its captivating for those who enjoy it?

Don't think there's been anything that has captivated me since Sherlock, but this year I've been enjoying Community, Dirk Gently, Game of Thrones, Guilty Crown, Game of Thrones, Hunter X Hunter, Lost Girl, Korra, The River, and Young Justice.

The87Italians

Jun 17, 2009
I'm rewatching Rescue Me now that all the seasons are out. It's one of the only shows that could make me laugh then make me feel like shit all in the same episode, and it also has some good music along with it.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
Game of Thrones is without a doubt one of the best shows I've ever seen. Everything from the acting to the writing is just downright amazing. It's a shame I don't have the attention span for reading big-ass books so I have to wait for the show.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much these three-
Game of throne
Young Justice (espically how much had changed in season 2.)
Legend of Korra

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Have high hopes for the new Tron: Uprising show out now.

I also like Leverage, Burn Notice, Young Justice.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
Kaichou wa Maid Sama! given, I watch it every month or so, but I can't get enough of it!

As for stuff I've watched recently but never watched before, Ghost in the shell: SAC. When I started watching it, I found it a bit boring, but now that I'm a few episodes in I'm finding it incredibly captivating.

Jun 16, 2010
AetherWolf said:
BBC Sherlock. Full-stop. Only 6 episodes and a very long wait between seasons, but I just can't get enough of it.
That was my answer. Can't believe it took so long for somebody to mention that show.
I got so obsessed with it, I started wearing the collar on my coat up all the time.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Most recently, I've been really enjoying a terrific Danish/Swedish series called The Bridge. But the king of TV is The Wire.