Most depressing movie you ever saw

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
So many movies that are good in brining out emotion, I just can't pick one out of the bunch...

Fiddler on The Roof was one of the earliest movies that made me a bit sad at the end. Can't think of many atm for some reason, but there are many movies that make me sad. The movies that bring such emotion out just shows how good it is in pulling you in. Just remembered The One Who Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest realy got to me in the ending.

Shilkanni

Mar 28, 2010
1. Revolutionary Road
2. House of Sand and Fog
3. Requiem for a Dream - I did find it incredibly depressing and powerful but agree with BobDobolina that it's a little over-the-top manipulative which makes it feel a little less real and therefore easier to escape from the depressing feelings it causes.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
instantbenz said:
Logic 0 said:
Toy story 3, I felt my soul dying when the movie ended.
I was thinking of this, but then I remembered Click ... I called my rents after that movie it was so sad.
Lt. Vinciti said:
I would say "Up" a lot of that is soul crushing...it wasnt made for children no it was ment to haunt the parents that took em...

"The Mist" had a very very depressing ending (the story was a lil...promising)

I cant agree with "The Road" tho...the lil boy while being the centerpiece of innocence....is very god damn annoying
All of these listed above, and for my own

That god damn latest episode of South Park I mean what the fuck!

Stan's parents are getting divorced, Kyle, Kenny, and Cartman don't want to hang out with Stan any more, and Kyle and Cartman are becoming best friends I mean seriously South Park, you are supposed to leave me laughing not feeling like shit

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Trezu said:
CM156 said:
Schindler's list

Anyone else who has seen this movie can attest to the reasons I was crying like a newborn child at the end.
people in my classes laughed at the movie........yeah i know

anyway 'Marley and Me' because you know why thats what
WTF is wrong with that class? What grade was it? What in the heck did they find funny (maybe Schindler's open cheating, but...).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Grave of the Fireflies and Leaving Las Vegas. The plot to Leaving Las Vega is jsut depressing as you pretty much watching the main character drinking himself to death.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
A.I. was the SADDEST movie I ever had the misfortune to watch. And a close second is Bridge To Terabithia, but just the last half-hour or so. But A.I., that damn little robot having it's love unreciprocated for damn near eternity, then teased with it (seems that way to me at the end) with 1 day of happiness just seems too cruel to me. Also, Grave of the Fireflies was sad as well. I'll be honest though, I got choked up by Harry and the Hendersons before near the end when Lithgow beating up on LeFleur, screaming he'll kill him and then Harry stops him from doing it. A little off-topic, but that scene touched me a bit.

marlongill

Aug 17, 2010
The part in Neverending story when his horse sinks into the swamp, the beginning of Up, the end of the Green Mile. For some reason the end of Banjamin Button is also in there. The end of Toy Story 3, all of The Road, Schindlers List, The Champ (oldie but goldie), Rocky 4 (When Appollo Dies)...... The list goes on and on and on.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Auron555 said:
Dear Zachary. Watch it, cry, despair.
That movie made me sad and angry. I just... can hardly think of words to describe it. And the fact that it's a true story makes it even worse.

Another movie (though it's not even close to the level of Dead Zachary) is Waiting for "Superman". It's a documentary about the public school system and it just makes me depressed to know that we are watching the problems of schools happen, yet we can't do anything about it. Sort of depressing in a different way, I know, but it was still upsetting to watch.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
I will agree that they potrayed Schindler in a over the top hero in the end, but it still was a fantastic performance in my opinion. If they potrayed Schindler as a douche (that he was) through out the movie though, then people would less likely see it.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Depends. In terms of sheer brutal depressing, probably Grave of the Fireflies. I was much more invested in The Orphanage though, and jesus that ending...

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Honestly that movie would have been ten times better if it ended with him dieing, not because I want him to die but it would send the message much more deeply and make Sandler not look like a one note joke that he has been for the past decade+. To Terminate421 on Click.

marlongill

Aug 17, 2010
tokae said:
I was just reminded of the most depressing movie I have ever seen. And I mean it.
It touches me more deeply than any other movie has been able too.

I give you, Watership Down

And I do mean the old one. The new one has merit sure, but it's not the same, not even close.
Holy f**k, thanks for bringing back repressed childhood memories! Still can't listen to that bloody song! :)

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Recently, Sucker Punch, mainly because it looked so likely to be a fun action movie. Then all that fun action stuff turned into viscous social commentary. The bad guy was as hateable as the Captain from Pan's Labyrinth. And then the sweet, lovable, abused main character
Actually gets that frontal lobotomy, turns into a near vegetable for the rest of her life, because she realized that she wasn't the main character of the story, and she has to sacrifice her life so another character can escape

Of course speaking of Pan's Labyrinth, that's another one that's right at the very top. Also, Schindler's List and Grave of the Fireflies for obvious reasons, and End of Evangelion for the just constant stream of mind rape perpetrated on the characters.

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
Battenbergcake said:
Million Dollar Baby.
Same for me, I kept thinking towards the end that something positive would happen - some sort of hopeful message would come from it, but no, it just ground you down with overwhelming depression.

marlongill

Aug 17, 2010
I'd probably list Twelve Monkeys as well.

It's totally depressing at the end when you realise there was nothing he could do all along. Futility sucks!

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Father Time said:
Madara XIII said:
That Greek Guy said:
So, like the title says, what is the movie that after you were done watching it made you feel the most emo. The movie that made you for a day forget about all the good things in life.

Aronofsky's Requiem For A Dream
and
Black Swan

If you want to feel completely depressed about how harsh the world can be then those 2 movies are it.

God, I still can't get over Requiem for a Dream.
What was depressing about black swan?

The only way I can think it would be depressing is if you're a perfectionist like the main character.
Well that and the constant pressure one would feel from their higher ups or families. Trust me the story messed me up cause I can understand having to do anything to be the best and you may laugh, but the saddest part was at the end when she was smiling, and she said "I was perfect".