Most difficult book you've read?

Judgmentalist

Oct 31, 2010
After being sent a mind-numbing trailer for the Atlas Shrugged movie, I got to pondering long, difficult, and long and difficult books. What's the most difficult one you've ever read, and what made it that way to you?

The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt gets my vote. Too many words!

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
The Talisman by Stephen King. My dad wanted me to read the book, but I kept putting it down for months at a time. He eventually forced me to finish it, and I gotta say, it was worth it.

knhirt

Nov 9, 2009
The Lord of the Rings just trudged on, and on, and on.
It was a difficult read at the time, when I was eleven or twelve years old.

Volkov

Dec 4, 2010
"The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov. It probably would not be too interesting to someone from the States though, simply because it requires some familiarity with the history of early USSR.

A difficult book that you may find interesting though... Solaris by Stanislaw Lem. One of the greatest (if not THE greatest) science fiction works of all time, but at the same time a complete mindfuck. Highly recommend.

Magners

Nov 20, 2009
Ghostwritten, multiple plot threads all going at once there are a ton of characters to keep track of and the writer's style is hard to keep up with at the best of times

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
Uhm, a few too many actually, but most specifically any kind of literary theory book. Hundreds of pages.

Literary Criticism: Past to Present. Introduction to Rhetoric.

Gah!

Nova Helix

Mar 17, 2010
The Sound and the Fury.

There are college classes dedicated to that book. It has metaphors and references out the ass and jumps around like an ADD kid on a mountain of sugar.

Damn good book though.

Crudler

Jun 2, 2008
The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse.
Go on, you just try and read it. It's not that it's a difficult book, it's that it's a bloody difficult book. The language you can just about get past but it's about a game where the rules of the game aren't completely clear.

Chatato

Dec 19, 2010
Oliver Twist not a hard or necessarily big book it's just for some reason whenever i go to read it I always stop halfway through even though I'll be thoroughly enjoying it at the time.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
Pretty much anything Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy took some getting used to. It's a very complex writing style.

I also hated reading Divine Comedy in the original italian. Had to for school though.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
I'd say A clockwork Orange. The author quite literally created his own slang that he used in almost every sentence. I didn't know what the hell he was talking about for a while (malchick? What the fuck is that?) But once you pick it up by the context then it becomes a bit easier, if you can get that far. Good story though.

If you're wondering, malchick means "male-chick", essentially "a guy". Needlessly complicated slang for the win!

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Neptunus Hirt said:
The Lord of the Rings just trudged on, and on, and on.
It was a difficult read at the time, when I was eleven or twelve years old.
Me too! =D *hi five* But it was a damn damn damn good book. Even though I had to reread a few pages to get where I am. =P

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Heart of Darkness. It was only 70 pages, but I had to read it 3 times to gleam all the subtle messages and plot threads to a degree high enough to write a paper.

Spaec

Oct 23, 2009
The Fountainhead springs to mind as a difficult book in being 'intelligent' but as 'intelligent' books go it was pretty straightforward. Plus, it kept me interested nearly all the way through.
But I think ultimately it would have to be Thérèse Raquin, despite it being really short. It has a pretentiously dark and dreary storyline told in the most arduous fashion imaginable.

Korenith

Oct 11, 2010
Ulysses by James Joyce. I ended up rereading just about every passage and even then I'm sure I missed so much. Apparently Finnegan's Wake is even more impossible but I might just leave that one for now...

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
It was hard getting through The Fountainhead. I couldn't stand it...

Damn you Ayn Rand.

MrNickster

Apr 23, 2010
Jane Eyre.

Some call it a literary classic. I call it a pretentious, overwritten chore with a boring story to match.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Ulysses, and Finnegan's wake. The author was trying to be as obtuse as possible, and it was difficult to glean any actual happenings from the jumble of words.