Most Frightening Game You've Seen?

DeManix

Jun 7, 2010
What game have you found the most frightening?

For me, Resistance: FOM. I never played it, but I have watched my brother play a few levels. The concept of aliens invading Earth is frightening, if cliched, concept, but most of these stories have a cetain charm to them, but in FOM, it's just downright scary. And the enemies are the most frightening I've ever seen, especially once you've seen one's face fill up the entire screen because you're idiot brother crouched down right in front of one of them. Once again, the enemies had no charm, they were just scary.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
Resistance: Fall of Man wasn't terribly scary for me, but goddamn did those facehugger-esque creatures swarming over a building in Manchester freak me out.

Anyway, Condemned 2: Bloodshot. The bear. While I played the start of the level, my friend (who had already played the game) could not stop giggling as I neared the bear chase. When it commenced, well... let's just say screaming was involved. And maniacal laughter.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Bioshock was terrifying for the first 5 minutes.

After that I just got annoyed, which negated any scary-ness.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Condemned. Specificially, the locker scene. You know which part I'm talking about.

alittlepepper

Feb 14, 2010
Game that scared me senseless like no other game really ever has was Fatal Frame. The first one. A friend of mine took that game and turned it into a D&D round that they still talk about today, and it was, you know. Way back when Fatal Frame first came out. :p
That game scared the hell out of me for a good long time. Every time I got to where I was like "I got this, it's just a game, I'm fine" I'd still end up freaked out inside of ten minutes.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
I think I was most freaked out in silent hill 4. Just the constant threat of those goddamn ghosts really set me on edge through the whole game.

Oh... and the giant Eileen face. You know the one I mean.

DeManix

Jun 7, 2010
Tattaglia" post="9.208666.7065859 said:
Resistance: Fall of Man wasn't terribly scary for me, but goddamn did those facehugger-esque creatures swarming over a building in Manchester freak me out.

I think the head filling up the screen was the main reason I would run 12,500 miles away from this game if someone forced me to play it. Otherwise it'd probably be only moderately scary.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
It must be vampire the masquerade bloodlines. In general it wasn't really a scary game, but some moment like the haunted mention (got the mission and thought: yay! cliche!.. but I was SO wrong) and the part of the snuff movies really gave me goosebumps.
Most scary parts in a game I've ever encountered.

The Root Beer Guy

Apr 1, 2010
The scariest game I've seen was actually a mod for the original Half-Life called Afraid of Monsters. It scared the holy heck out of me, and still does.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem still frightening to this day. I cannot play it alone. I need a spotter when playing this game.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Superman 64.

But seriously, F.E.A.R. at 3 in the morning in the dark can be some messed up shit.

EDIT: I would have said Eternal Darkness: SR but I had a feeling I would get ninja'd. And apparently I was right.

Ryuo

Dec 5, 2009
Silent Hill 2 still gives me the creeps even after several playthroughs.
back in the day RE for the PS1, damn that game got to me.
Can hardly play Dead Space after dark, and alone. The cheap-shot startles are much more amplified at that time. >.<
Edit: as the post above me says-- REmake still creeps me out. Not knowing when a zombie you took out is going to crimson on you is not cool at all.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
alittlepepper said:
Game that scared me senseless like no other game really ever has was Fatal Frame. The first one. A friend of mine took that game and turned it into a D&D round that they still talk about today, and it was, you know. Way back when Fatal Frame first came out. :p
That game scared the hell out of me for a good long time. Every time I got to where I was like "I got this, it's just a game, I'm fine" I'd still end up freaked out inside of ten minutes.
I bought Fatal Frame for around 40 dollars, and I can't play it because every time I do I get too scared to sleep. I've heard Fatal Frame 2 was even worse...

Resistance wasn't scary at all. When you play it, it really turns the creepy creatures (which I think kind of look like the things from the Suffering... just saying) into basic enemies that are no scarier than the Locusts from Gears of War. Condemned was also pretty freaky, but more in a paranoia sense. I had to check every single room to make sure there wasn't a crazy dude behind it about to jump out. But I will say that the melee combat is the best I've ever seen in any game ever.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Red Hood said:
Dead Space realy freak me out.. Man, that was a scary game...
Oh rly? weak.

Anyway:

Fear
bloodlines (haunted hotel level)
Thief: Deadly Shadows (asylum level)
Clive Barker's Undying (it has its moments)
system shock 2
etc etc
ad nauseum
cliché
etc