Most Frightening Game You've Seen?

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow Of Chernobyl, Oblivion lost Mod. Utterly terrifies me.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
I found the first F.E.A.R. pretty crazy. That little ***** just keeps jumping out at you. And the sequel wasn't as scary which was pretty damn disappointing. The third is hopefully better.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem in a dark room at 3 AM in a blizzard. I still get freaked out just thinking about it sometimes.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
The Root Beer Guy said:
The scariest game I've seen was actually a mod for the original Half-Life called Afraid of Monsters. It scared the holy heck out of me, and still does.
FINALLY someone ELSE who played it!

dthvirus

Oct 2, 2008
F.E.A.R. is pretty damn messed up if you play at night. I found myself grumbling "Why would you do that?" and then changing my pants every ten minutes.

Second is maybe Metro 2033. Less "AAAUGH" and more "Here's three bullets: kill four dogs" scary.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
HT_Black said:
Condemned. Specificially, the locker scene. You know which part I'm talking about.
Aaaaah why. You knew it was going to happen. You knew, and you had to do it anyways. Also the bit with the mannequins surrounding out. I had to stop playing for a little while at that part.

I'd also put Penumbra and it's sequel up there alongside Condemned in the list of games that scared me most.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Haven't found a game frightning in years. Last game I found frightening was Thief, when it first came out (and I was just a kid). I had never seen anything like that: dark shadows, zombies, people searching for you if you accidently make too much noise, desperately trying to hide all the time. As a kid, that was scary-ass stuff. It hasn't been topped yet.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Firefoxmccoy said:
Half-life mod called Dear Esther.

It's the narraration with the music that got me.
I wouldn't call it frightening, but it sure as hell was creepy. Kudos for drawing attention to a great mod.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
JackRyan64 said:
Penumbra Overture. Anyone who's played that game knows what I'm talking about.
I played "penumbra" which is basically a tech demo made before the actual trilogy.

Too. Fucking. Scary.

I didn't even meet a single enemy. just... the atmosphere.

Cab00se206

Jul 9, 2008
I usually don't play horror games, and I loathe the horror movie premise even more, but Dead Space's premise was enough to convince me to give it a try. I was so fraked out by the scares and creepy atmosphere that at several points in the game I had to switch it off and go do something else for a day or so before I could be lured back.

I know that many pretentious horror fans say that it wasn't really good horror because it was all about cheap shock scares, but it certainly didn't matter to me at the time.

Interestingly, apparently my reaction wasn't uncommon, because I saw an article about Dead Space 2 that the developers found out that a lot of people were too scared to play the game through, so apparently they're going to try to make you feel less helpless, but at the same time keeping the scares and stuff. I hope so.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Ravenholm still scares me even though I've played it a hundred times. Bioshock and Fallout 3 have their moments, but they lose the horror as you get better weapons and the like.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
meatloaf231 said:
Aaaaah why. You knew it was going to happen. You knew, and you had to do it anyways.
Yeah, you knew, but the thing that made that scene scarier than any other scene in the game was the flawlessly-done moment of rest that immediately came before it.

Picture this: you're in a maze-like room, but you've killed everything in it. You're alone, but danger can come at you from any direction. you recieve a vision, open the lockers, and OH SHI-- No wait, you knew that was going to happen. Your handler tells you to get a close-up on his face, for further confirmation while the DNA goes through the lab. Somewhere above you, there's a rattling sound. At this point, you see jsut how stupidly close you'll have to zoom your camera in, and both your gamer and horror movie veteran senses start tingling. You know what's coming next.
Then...nothing. Recalling the time where you had to do this with the Matchmaker's body earlier, and relieved by the moment of silence, you realize that it was a false alarm on your end. You place the call, and---AHFUCKFUCKFUCKAAAAAHFUCKKILLITAAAAHOhwaitnow he's dead.

It was the momentary silence right before the "boo" that made that scene so terrifying-- it briefly lowers your defenses, and then it hits you with everything it's got.

But yeah, the mannequins were creepy too.

Ambient

Nov 19, 2009
Dead Space. Then again it's the only game of it's kind I've ever played. It really gets on my nerves.

The moving 'statues' in Bioshock's Fort Frolic. Brrrr.

destiaer

Jun 26, 2010
I'm having a really hard time remembering the name to the game...it was old...i think it was a PS1, but i'm not sure...but everytime I think of scary, I think of the clown scene in Brave Little Toaster. I know, I know, it's not a game, but even now, I still get nostalgic chills whenever I watch that movie. SORRY!!!!! D: When I was maybe seven or eight, there Rugrats game was obviously childish...but there were these possessed demon clowns (im serious) that wandered around in certain levels that could murder the babies! It was rather traumatizing for my age. Figures that a few years later, I call Hostel 2 a comedy. :)

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
For me it was Digimon and SpongBob Squarepants Online...these MMO's are an abomination!

Sexbad

Mar 31, 2010
Penumbra Penumbra Penumbra holy fuck. So yeah, you're underground in Greenland looking for Daddy with plenty of evil horrors lurking around. There's not exactly combat. There are puzzle solving tools you use as a last means of defense when you fuck up at stealth. And the stealth is great. And the story is amazing. And the characters are unique and deep. And the sound design is fucking A.

Also coming soon by the same developers. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo053hjMkcs[/youtube]

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
T0xiCity8 said:
Silent Hill 2

/Thread
This.
I've never been scared by a game, but SH2 is the closest I've been to it. But it's completely different than other horror games I've played. No jump scares at all in that game, instead it focuses on an unbelievably creepy atmosphere that slowly creeps into your nerves and disturbs the hell out of you.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
Woodsey said:
Bioshock was terrifying for the first 5 minutes.

After that I just got annoyed, which negated any scary-ness.
I thought the medical wing was frighting, i actually gave the game back to my friend(whom i borrowed it from) for a while because of that...then i guess i grew a pair and got over it lol