Most Frustrating/Hardest Boss You Have Ever Defeated

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
There was this one boss that I worked for a few years back.... Treated me like a slave for the-

Oh, video game boss...

Uhhhh, I'll point to Dark Souls and say vitrually any of the above...

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Ultimecia from Final Fantasy 8

Just f*ck her. She was beyond over-powered. 4 stages to the fight, the last 3 all have several attacks that can 1-hit the whole party if you aren't at 100% HP and with special defenses of some kind, and she was FAR too much health. The ONLY way I could beat her was to get Squall the Lion Heart, keep him alive and with Aura up so that he could pull off limit break after limit break and pray for him to use Lion Heart. He had to use it (no joke) 15 times before she finally died.

The winning battle lasted over 2 hours - each attempt took at least 30 minutes. Why on earth was that necessary!?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
The final boss on MGS4 on Big Boss difficulty was so frustrating. Fighting hand to hand on a small platform does not make it easy to dodge the attacks. It got to the point that I'd just restart the entire boss fight again if I took damage too early because I knew it would mess up my flow. Eventually I did beat it after memorising every move and attack pattern.

genghisKwong

Nov 4, 2013
The most frustrating boss I've defeated in recent memory would probably be the final boss at the end of Metal Gear Rising. It was a skill test in precision and memory. I can't say that i've experienced that many frustrating bosses as most boss fights now are just bullet sponges now, but my vote goes to that guy.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Frustrating?

Persephone from God of War Chain of Olympus.

Before you face her, there is 40 something second of unskippable cutscene before every battle.

So basically, you have to watch that damn unskippable cutscene after Every. Time. You. Die.

After you watch that cutscene about 3 times, you get a trophy: "Cool Story Bro"

Eventually, I figured out a cheap tactic to beat her and I barely lost any health that time.

I wish I figured it out sooner.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Solo? Toss up between 3 bosses: Ultimecia from FF8, because damn you're a *****. Bell Gargoyles from Dark Souls (I know they're only the second boss, fuck me it took me 5 hours last night. I suck ok? Leave me alone). And fucking NECRON from FFIX.
All three of those bosses have given me more hell than most NES games did as a kid... Except of course for Ghosts and Goblins which Dark Souls has nothing on in difficulty or frustration factor.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Dark Souls: Ornstein and Smough on the first playthrough. I never got to new game+ ^^;;

Another very close contender would be the MVP's in Bio Laboratory in Ragnarok Online. Those were pretty much impossible without dozens, if not hundreds of people all at the highest level working together.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Super Blair from Star Ocean: Till End of Time. She was a *****! Esp. when she whipped out her uber powerful fuck you attack.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Honestly, it's any boss fight where a crapload of minions spawn. Not only does this detract from the potential of having an epic one-on-one battle, it just comes off as lazy. It's like readily admitting that the boss wasn't good enough on his/her own.

Nathan Josephs

Feb 10, 2012
drakengard chapter 13 verse 2. gameplay is completely different from the rest of the game and this boss is balls to the wall one mess up and your dead. literally.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
The final boss in Smt: Strange journey. Basically it relies on luck . On phase 2.She can and will kill you in one turn if you are unlucky enough.

Daimon117

Sep 15, 2010
Voulan said:
From Kingdom Hearts, the Riku/Ansem bossfight.

"It is I, Ansem, the Seeker of Darkness!" Again, and again, and again... Thank god they added a skip cutscene option in 1.5.
Second to that, along with the Chernabog boss fight. It would be as easy as the Ursula fight if not for the homing attacks and volcano eruptions.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
For most retries, the Emerald Weapon in Final Fantasy 7. Time limit, regenerating limbs, powerful all-hitting counters whenever he is hit, an attack that drains one target's MP to 0 (so no Final Attack-Phoenix combination for you), an attack that requires you to use a limited supply of Materia, and more HP than any other boss. Even at Level 99 with multiple Master Materia this guy had me climbing the walls.

For most recent frustration, Beelzebub from Shin Megami Tensei 4. Yes, he is an optional boss in a legendarily difficult series with lots of insane bosses. From what I hear his earlier appearances have been just as brutal if not worse, but hear me out.

In this case, he shares an aggravating quality with a few other optional enemies in that he can spam Megidoloan, the most powerful Almighty (read: cannot be blocked, reflected or absorbed by anything ever) attack in the game. It inflicts about 500 damage to everyone, and a max-leveled party will have about 1000 HP on average, your main character probably a bit more. Regardless, he gets three turns per round. If he uses Megidoloan twice in the same round he will probably kill your demons. If he uses it three times, he is guaranteed to wipe out your party. He will always do this if you use the spell that has been your greatest asset for most of the game, the physical-blocking Tetrakarn. Nothing like a game that makes you bank on your opponent's mercy to survive.

He will still use Megidoloan on occasion in conjunction with his other attacks. These include an all-hitting projectile nearly as powerful with a high chance to crit and give him a fourth or fifth turn, but that can be managed if you bring demons which resist or negate it. The real killer outside Megidoloan is Pandemic Bomb inflicting Sickness, the most broken status ailment in the game on your entire party... because 9 times out of 10 he will immediately follow it up with Death's Door reducing the HP of everyone with that ailment to 1. If he does Pandemic Bomb, Death's Door, Megidoloan you are once again screwed. It's actually a relief when he uses all-hitting Instant Death spells or stat-reduction because at least those can be blocked or undone.

But wait! There's more! He always gets the first turn when you fight him. He has the highest evasion in the game. Even Megidoloan can miss him, something I'd never seen happen before then. When you miss, your target immediately gets to take their turn. He has no elemental weaknesses and high physical and magical defence. You have a multitude of effective stat-reducing moves you can use on him, but if he's affected by three or more of these he will dispel them, same as if you put too many stat-enhancing moves on your party. Finally, when he's down to half his health he starts spamming triple Megidoloan regardless of what you do- the only way to survive is to reduce his attack power and increase your defence to the point that it only does 300ish per cast... something that won't last long. Finally, before fighting him you must beat a weaker pre-boss who uses Pandemic Bomb as well, only serving to weaken you before the real thing.

I've beaten a lot of hard RPG bosses in my time, but none caused me as much trouble as those two jerks.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
ccdohl said:
Yea they're a challenge, but the most frustrating boss to me is/are the Four Kings. I can't tell you how furious I get trying to kill them every time I play.

The weirdest thing is that I seem to be the only one who ever brings them up, so maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Very much this. As I have mentioned in a similar thread, the Four Kings are the fucking bane of my existence. For some reason, very few people I talk to have any issue with them, which only makes their cheap, luck-based mechanics all the more infuriating.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Dullahan from Golden Sun Lost Age. It's an optional boss at the end of a super difficult optional dungeon. He will cast ridiculously powerful moves in succession since he can attack multiple times in one turn. Did I mention he gets health back in every turn? No? Well he does. :/

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Yiazmat from FFXII. That prick of a boss had 50million hp. At first it's not much harder than a regular boss in it's damage output, but as you slowly (and it really is slowly) whittle it's health down, it gets stronger and stronger. Was so happy when I got the godslayer badge for killing it.

Paprik

Jun 7, 2013
Most frustrating? About a third of the Dark Souls bosses - cheap deaths, RNG and way too much running back to where you died.

Hardest & fun? Most of the end game Monster Hunter Tri bosses.

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Boost Guardian from Metroid Prime: Echoes.

You fight him in an atmosphere that constantly damages your health, and you can only damage him when he's in his solid form.
He doesn't like being in solid form though, he rather creeps around the floor as a puddle of goo; and when he gets bored, he decides to become a morph ball and starts boosting around the (small circular) arena like a berserking pinball. Oh, and the more health he loses, the more adds he summons every time he switches his form.

ARGH!

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Prototype.

Elizabeth Greene.

Fuck that ***** and her bullshit unblockable homing shit and her weakspot that's only available for 2 seconds every minute and half and her constantly respawning elite mooks and her ridiculous health bar.

Seriously, just, fuck you Elizabeth.