Most Frustrating (Non-Boss) Enemies in games!

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Yeah no bosses, I'm talking about the mooks, the ones that just assault you in droves, have that one gimmick that infuriates you, or the ones who just plain cheat or take way more time and energy to deal with than they should.

I'll start off with a few:

Wallmasters from Legend of Zelda - These zombified hands are terrible, they don't hurt you physically but one touch and they grasp you and transport you back to the beginning of a dungeon... absolute nightmare enemy!

Kobolds from Baldur's Gate - I just want to rest and rememorize spells! No! Instead the incessant Yip Yip Yip of Kobolds awakens me any time I try to rest... and there they are, with their beady eyes and their shortbows... GAAAH!

Creepers from Minecraft - That's a very nice everything you have... it'd be a shame if something were to happen to it!

Centaurs in Fallout Series - Sure Deathclaws are more dangerous, but Centaurs seem to be immune to everything that doesn't require you using every bullet you own.

Mudcrabs in The Elder Scrolls - What do you mean I can't fast travel? Oh son of a...

Your turn ;-)

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I'm going to say the bears in Dragon Age Inquisition

Yeah, it's not epic, but hear me out. When I was not listening to everyone and I was in The Hinterlands, those bastards were everywhere. Now, I need their pelts for a quest and they suddenly disappeared. Gone?No bears. It's like I've made the biggest genocide of bears that the game's code just erased or something.

Frustrating is the only word to describe the situation.

Edit: If you're going to mention the Elder Scrolls, you need to mention cliff racers.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Random Argument Man said:

Yeah, it's not epic, but hear me out. When I was not listening to everyone and I was in The Hinterlands, those bastards were everywhere. Now, I need their pelts for a quest and they suddenly disappeared. Gone?No bears. It's like I've made the biggest genocide of bears that the game's code just erased or something.

Edit: If you're going to mention the Elder Scrolls, you need to mention cliff racers.
So much for that realism thing being a good thing right?

Cliff Racers... I remember I used to be convinced that targetting their tail somehow increased my chances to hit them... oh how naive I was in my youth.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Kobolds from smart koblds. They are basically an example of why you don't make your enemies smart because smart enemies are just frustrating. They run from you, setting traps and will only fight you when you can't reasonably fight back. They are so vindictive that they will snap their weapons so you can get them.

EmperorZinyak

Aug 3, 2014

Veteran Brotherhood members in The Darkness II. They never stand still so I can't shoot them, they deal a shit ton of damage with their auto shotguns and they can teleport through walls. They're supposed to be using a weaker variant of Jackie's power and yet they can phase through everything while I can't? Get your shit together Jackie, these guys are badass compared to you!

Honorable mention goes to the Mace-wielding Drakekeepers in Dark Souls II. There is literally no window of opportunity to hit them, they never get staggered, and their attacks can easily kill you in 1 or 2 hits. You're basically forced to use a ranged weapon, magic, or poison throwing knives. But what fun is that? The Dragon Aerie had such a beautiful design, it's a shame that the enemies have to be so bullshit.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Any enemy that runs up to me really fast and explodes for big damage and AOE. Cannot think of any game where I've enjoyed them.

Enemies in any game that are invisible until I am in melee range of them.

Imps in Doom 3, simply because 90% of the time they teleported in behind me for a cheap jumpscare.

Banelings.

Any unit in real time strategy games that can outrange my static defenses.

Snipers in Half Life 1. I spend more time quickload spamming trying to figure out where the bastard is that is killing me than fighting back.

The hide-and-charge type enemies from Dead Space 2 and 3. They freaked me the hell out.

Defias Pillagers.

Soul Lashers in D3 before they were nerfed. Yes, enemies that are faster than you with an unavoidable instant kill ranged attack were fun.

Dogs in the resident Evil games, especially RE4.

Pain Elementals in Doom.

The obnoxious, flying, homing missile launching aliens in Tomb Raider 1 and Anniversary.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Jackel Snipers in Halo. Perfect accuracy headshots the moment you pop out of cover for a second. I was ready to break my controller in half (this was during my gamer rage phase when I took everything too seriously).

EmperorZinyak said:
Honorable mention goes to the Mace-wielding Drakekeepers in Dark Souls II. There is literally no window of opportunity to hit them, they never get staggered, and their attacks can easily kill you in 1 or 2 hits. You're basically forced to use a ranged weapon, magic, or poison throwing knives. But what fun is that? The Dragon Aerie had such a beautiful design, it's a shame that the enemies have to be so bullshit.
They actually got nerfed a few patches ago (around the same time that shrine of amana did I think). They still attack like crazy, but they actually leash back to their starting positions after completing an attack set now so you do get a chance to attack them. If you're good you can dodge all their attacks and the put some damage out while they're leashing back.

I fought them with a dual caestus build and actually didn't have much trouble (the one guy with the shield was worse for me) since I could roll all over the place and avoid everything they threw at me. Kind of wish I'd gotten the chance to fight their pre-patch version with that caestus build just to see if I could. The only people who get really boned by them now are players who wear heavy armor while using a medium shield or no shield since they just end up getting staggered and eating attacks.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010

Do you need the pelts for the Dalish camp? because if so we are in the same boat.
Those bears were very annoying in hinterlands, especially since they tend to pop out nowhere and attack me in twos.

Also from DA:I: the despair demons. The teleport around the place which is annoying to start with. What's worse is they have a very long range attack and will move so far away from the rift that if you chase them it can reset the bloody thing and you have to kill everything again. They also end up sitting in spots that require awkward jumping to melee them.

Drowners from The Witcher. They aren't a threat but they pop up all over the place in the swamp. Later in the game they don't even attack you but them being there can stop you from area transitioning. At least they don't screech like Cliff Racers.

Exploding amoebas and Metro 2033 because they fill my screen with light and kill my FPS.

You know what my first death in DS2 was to? not the ogre, I killed that though I did run off and reset a few times. The other two I chose to avoid until I could spend souls. It was those bloody pigs(?) behind the mansion. They are tiny so unless the weapon you have on you has a low attack they are very difficult to hit and your attacks will end up going over their heads. I hate the dogs for the same reason. It's ok on flat ground but when the ground isn't flat I have to awkwardly move around until I find a spot where my weapon will connect with them or switch my weapon just for them.

The ghosts that can hit you through walls in DS1.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Novistadors (the bugs) in Resident Evil 4.

The very first time you encounter them in the sewers is actually really good, and that's because they don't fly. In every encouter that follows... they do.

The problem is that Novistadors are already "bruisers", meaning enemy types that can inflict a shitload of damage on you. But once they start flying they also become "annoyance enemies", meaning hard to target and distracting. And that combination... it's not swell.

El Cazador

Dec 30, 2014
Dark Souls 2 Archdrake priests and Archdrake sorceresses. "Oh, see that Bearer of the Curse, let's snipe her with our spells" Thousands of homing soul arrows come at me along those mace wielding priests with insane poise and health. That's the most annoying level in Dark Souls 2.

Not to mention those Behemoths in Crown of the Old Iron King Dlc

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Uh lets go from the two most recent games Ive played

Saints Row 4 - The big beast creatures you fight to get new powers, until you get the buff power theyre just really annoying to fight
Fight Night Champion - This Mexican asshole you have to fight in Andre Bishops 2nd Heavyweight fight, who is just some sort of vampire, since when he clinches you, he drains your stamina away

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Novistadors (the bugs) in Resident Evil 4.

The very first time you encounter them in the sewers is actually really good, and that's because they don't fly. In every encouter that follows... they do.

The problem is that Novistadors are already "bruisers", meaning enemy types that can inflict a shitload of damage on you. But once they start flying they also become "annoyance enemies", meaning hard to target and distracting. And that combination... it's not swell.
Yeah...

Especially on Professional, when their stupid grab acid attack is basically a one shot. Hate the dogs for the same reason.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
The walking Turrets in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, those assholes just love to surround you and push you into a corner without raising their heads to fire once, knowing there's jack shit you can do to stop them. And god help you if they've spawned in that one quad-room with the stone heads that shoot bullets.

The big black guys in Hotline Miami who are immune to all forms melee for some reason are pretty rage-inducing too, since they seem to have super-hearing and bring the pace to a screeching halt whenever they show up (which by the end of the game is all the time.)

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Dark Souls thread? Dark Souls thread.

But yeah, the most recent example is those ice rabbits they added in the Crown of the Ivory King. It's especially frustrating if you're playing as a melee character, since even slight touching them does damage.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
The ghosts in Metroid Prime should've been a one or two time deal and that's it. It becomes really tedious after a couple of times when you can only use the most basic blaster on these fast teleporting pricks who can pop up behind you, like breathing on your neck close, just stun you, and piss off again. They make the room really dark every time you encounter them so it's difficult to just leave if they haven't trapped you in, there is always 3 of them, they take more shots than they should, and some of the rooms they keep spawning in are not best designed to move around well. I hate them so, it really makes it difficult to return to MP when I remember these mobs.

Cliff Racers in Morrowind are a pain. Enemy's that attack from the sky at any given moment is not good, well not exactly any time but they are hidden very well so to spot you first, and just having to look up constantly since it seems like they're everywhere stops being fun very quickly.

The tesla beetle monster things in Diablo 2 that fire off a four way electric blast when each one dies is especially annoying. Doesn't help that there is an underground section in the game you need to go through to finish a main quest that is really narrow so only one thing can fit through, and it's littered with these damn beetles the whole way! It's a pissy way for the game to tell you to get lightning resistance. Fuck!

Stupid flying flash cameras in Half Life 2 that flash you every time you/they get a clear view of them/you, making you wait 5 seconds for the screen to go back to normal have really ticked me off at times. Like any game needs flying cameras that blind you. Seriously. You want to talk about realism, a flash isn't that painful, and I should be able to get some shades then.

Before the MMO Lineage 2 became complete soulless rubbish, they made change to a tough enemy that used to be good for certain drops to build weapons, that is until they gave it an ability that completely cancels buffs. I'm not kidding. Someone would spend a good 300 mana or more giving you all these buffs, and they can be just taken away by this heavy asshole. The person that thought this was a good idea should have his car insurance canceled. It's probably been changed now, though I have no idea.

I'll think of more soon

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008

DementedSheep said:
Do you need the pelts for the Dalish camp? because if so we are in the same boat.
Those bears were very annoying in hinterlands, especially since they tend to pop out nowhere and attack me in twos.
Pretty sure you two need Great Bear pelts if it's for the Dalish camp.

You'll occasionally find Great Bears in the northwestern parts of Emprise du Lion, but I've found that the best place to go is the northern half of the river that flows through the Emerald Graves. Run along the river and you're almost guaranteed to run into 2 or 3 Great Bears along the way, which will often drop 5+ pelts each.

Also, there's a quest acquired at the Emerald Graves starting camp that sends you to kill a mother bear and her cubs in a nearby cave.

Mar 30, 2010
Cliff Racers? Gotta mention Cliff Racers. Also skeleton archers could be a pain - they carried magic arrows and at higher levels there was a chance they would be paralyzing arrows. Length of duration? 3 secs. Rate of fire of a skeleton archer? You guessed it...

'Suicide bomber' Grunts from Halo? Easy to pick off given a clear shot, but a giant middle-finger to the player inside buildings at short range.

Every animal in Far Cry 3.

Archviles in Doom 2. You just manage to clear a room of demons before running out of ammo and then along comes this beige bastard resurrecting everything he can get his thrice-cursed mitts on.

L4D Hunters - for when the Virtual Director wants you to use another med-kit (usually immediately after you've just used one).

Round off the list with Creepers. Because Creepers.

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
The police droids in Liberation: Captive II. This is going back quite a ways- 1992, I think, on the Amiga CD32. It was far and away the best game for that short-lived console, but fighting police droids even with a great set of weapons and appropriately modded skill ROMs was a chore. To give some background, it was a cyberpunky dungeon crawler similar to Legend of Grimrock but with early 90s polygon graphics (you could switch off texturing to improve performance in busy buildings). That meant that a single droid could block your escape along a corridor and depending on the level layout you might have to blast your way through three or four of them just to get to the exit. They don't do much damage so there's no threat- they were just massive bullet sponges due to their astronomical HP.

Oh, and while I'm here- those bloody ghosts in Pac-man! Damn power pills always run out just as you're about to chow down on the last one! *shakes walking stick*

-Nick

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Shaun Kennedy said:
Wallmasters from Legend of Zelda - These zombified hands are terrible, they don't hurt you physically but one touch and they grasp you and transport you back to the beginning of a dungeon... absolute nightmare enemy!
Yeah, but up until Windwaker they were really easy to avoid, you just dodged the shadow, windwaker onwards was a little more annoying as you had to hit them when they popped up (and not before - until *ahem*) but they were still pretty easy to take out - cheap trick though if you left the little duck girl at the door whilst you cleared out a room in the dungeon two would spawn behind you and one would inevitably grab her..

Speaking Wind Waker - the Zombie dudes, their high pierced shriek that forces Link to pause but not long enough for them to actually get near and harm you so all they so is slow you down killing them - even a room full don't go after you at once (unless you rush in and trigger them all, you fool) so they're just annoying to kill - there is a trick to sneaking up behind them, but to be honest you can ignore most and get buy them.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Dragons in Skyrim. I probably wouldn't have this opinion if I didn't have a dragon eat the population of Solitude while I was exploring and get me a bounty because it pushed a guard in my way but I do. Damn things are almost guaranteed to spawn in the most awkward places possible and nearly always got someone who wouldn't respawn.