Most Frustrating (Non-Boss) Enemies in games!

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
Those semi-invisible mannequin things from Silent Hill Downpour. Especially when the game decides to throw several of them at you at highly inconvenient spots when you're getting the sense you're nearing the end of the game.

I agree about those Cazadors. *shudder* My player character is usually fine but poor Boone seems to be highly allergic to them.

The Serpent Soldiers in Sen's Fortress from Dark Souls gave me a bit of grief at first. They pop up in the worst places if you're not careful and decide to find a temporary hiding spot and they're creepy as hell. When I finally got to Anor Londo I was like 'Daylight! Bliss! Sweet beauty! I'm never going back to that crappy Fortress again!'. And then I had to go back to a merchant.

And whilst they aren't actually frustrating or even difficult I'm going to give a special mention to giant spiders in games. There's a certain place in Skyrim (I don't remember what it was called) when I could not see them but I could hear them, I rounded a corner in sneak mode and -BAM- hundreds, thousands, millions of creepy-ass silhouettes of giant spiders of all kinds of giant sized proportions made all the worse by ethereal lighting and music. Seriously it was visually very impressive but I just sneak rolled the hell out of that place never to go back again. Ever. And don't get me started on those things that fly into your face in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The Regenerator from Resident Evil 4.

Not only were they scary as hell, they are a pain in the ass to kill!
What's worse is that the sound is everywhere!

Their weakspot is located somewhere on its body but you have to equip a thermal scope to locate and snipe it off otherwise it will regenerate (hence its name). It doesn't help the fact that I was bad at aiming with the sniper rifle especially when it coming closer to you! Capcom were also an ass for putting up this speical Regenerator that had TWO weakpoints that must be shot off, one in the front and the other at the back which was a pain to make it turn its back or try to get behind it!!!

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Currently doing one of the end game operations in Old Republic, the mooks filling the hallways in the Yavin Temple are infuriating, there's 8 of you hitting the damn things and it takes 10 minutes to kill each group because they got a bazillion points of health, it's not even difficult because they're just filler, it just takes ages to kill them, which is a shame because the bosses are actually fun to fight

nameless023

Fancy Forum Title Goes Here
Nov 11, 2011
Uncle Comrade said:
I'll see your despair demons and raise you arcane horrors. They take a lot of hits before they go down, and they seem to have a knack for teleporting away just as you use an ability on them, or they teleport to the other side of the room, wait for you to run over and start hitting them, and then teleport away again. And as for the ones in the Exalted Plains who are accompanied by seemingly endless respawning corpses (and poison arrow-equipped corpse archers), they can feck right off.
Eh, Arcane Horrors aren't that bad if you have ranged attacks. If you're playing a Warrior/Dagger Rogue though, I can see where you're screwed. The Revenants are the real annoying ones with that attack that drags you right next to them and stuns you long enough for it to kill you in 2-3 hits. The one that shows up at the Citadel in the Exalted Plains wiped my party several times just doing that over and over again.

Then again, I was playing a mage so that might have been why it killed me so easy. I guess melee classes have it easier there (funny how Revenants and Arcane Horrors kinda counter each other's strengths and weaknesses).
-

Anyways, someone mentioned every single animal in Far Cry 3 (and 4 because they are pretty much the same) and I agree, but I'd like to give a special mention to the dogs, both wild and tamed by the enemy. I've lost count of how many times I've been hidden in some sneaky place, planning strategies to clear an outpost undetected only to have a dog sniff me from the other side of the outpost and dart straight to me (alerting every single enemy in the area as well). Or the times I've been lining up a sniper shot and have a wild dog spawn behind me and attack me as I try to shoot (missing and alerting everyone that I failed). Or me, knowing that dogs are in the area, targeting them first and try to kill them with what should be a one hit kill with a sniper only to have the little cunts shrug it off like its nothing and instantly knowing where I am (and alerting everyone else).

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
FrozenLaughs said:
Cazadores in Fallout NV. I'll fight a Deathclaw before a Cazador.
All of my yes. At least with Deathclaws, you have the satisfaction of taking out something huge and nasty looking. Cazadores are such trolls its unreal. "Lol, one saw you from half way across the map so now there are a dozen flying around you, and you're poisoned so you now have 4 seconds to live except it's 0 seconds now cus one bit you in the ass while you were shooting the one in front of you lol".

You can't even snipe them from afar. They don't sit still ever.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
The Regenerator from Resident Evil 4.

Not only were they scary as hell, they are a pain in the ass to kill!
What's worse is that the sound is everywhere!

Their weakspot is located somewhere on its body but you have to equip a thermal scope to locate and snipe it off otherwise it will regenerate (hence its name). It doesn't help the fact that I was bad at aiming with the sniper rifle especially when it coming closer to you! Capcom were also an ass for putting up this speical Regenerator that had TWO weakpoints that must be shot off, one in the front and the other at the back which was a pain to make it turn its back or try to get behind it!!!
Upgrade bolt rifle to max, unlock exclusive. You can blow up Regens without worrying about their plagas. Iron Maidens are a bit tougher though.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I'm going to say Malboro's from Final Fantasy, but specifically in Final Fantasy X where they 100% of the time ambush you (the first turn is ALWAYS theirs) and their first attack is Bad Breath which gives your entire party just about every bad status effect in the game, including confusion. these things are just regular random encounter nightmares that don't do much if any damage at all and can rarely last more than a hit or two but since they can cause every bad status effect known to man it doesn't matter because your characters kill each other and it's game over!

every time I see one I get so pissed off, it's just a cheap death that can set you back quite a long way based on the last time you saved