Most Gamers Haven't Heard of Natal or Move

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
A recent study showed that most "gamers" arent actually gamers so this wasn't too shocking for me.

Actually i lied... im baffled. But i do stand behind my original comment.

IxionIndustries

Mar 18, 2009
I know all about Natal, but I haven't heard shit about Move.

Wait, is Move that fucking lollipop thingy? The thing that looks like Willy Wonka's dildo brand?

I'm not really too surprised. The term "Gamer" has become so fucking blurred that it doesn't even matter anymore.

EDIT: Ohhh! You know why they don't know about them? It's because they probably think it's just another attatchment to the Wii or something. After all, Nintendo is the only ones who fall to gimmicks to sell things.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I love the Wii and I highly doubt both Sony and Microsoft can pull their controllers as well as Nintendo. For Natal, I have my doubts, the Wii-mote is awesome for 1st person shooter (well, most of them) but for Natal, I don't hold anything in my hands and the only way I can see is still using the regular 360 controller while flailing my hands. Nobody has 4 arms for this... And for Move... it's simply stupid...

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
AboveUp said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Jack and Calumon said:
If Gamer includes those shut ins who play Call of Duty non stop, then this is understandable.
Not to mention the Halo-ites on 360, too.

But I'm shocked at the 360 numbers. The 360 dashboard videos are whoring it out every week.
Wouldn't be surprised if most people don't watch those videos. The hosts they have for their "sentuamessage" or whatever it's called are quite bad and painful to watch.

... and yeah, the Halo and CoD shut-ins would be in the dark when it comes to things that happen outside of those games. If they have heard of it, I'm sure they'd think it's a gay idea. Just like how everything else is equally gay and faggy.
Aww, you said everything I was going to say :(
What will I say now? Hmmm... Boobs?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Mako SOLDIER said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
We've been through the age of gimmicks
Technically (unless you count the awful gamecube controller), the age of gimmicks started with the Nintendo DS. It hit infancy with the Wii, and now it's approaching adolescence. We're still firmly stuck in the age of gimmicks really.

I really don't see how people can not see the potential of Natal. How about Dance Dance Revolution without a floor mat, or even a fantasy fps where you cast spells with gestures and swing a plastic sword that actually appears to cleave through your enemies? That's ignoring the sheer awesomness of controlling your movie and music playback with gestures or voice. Sure, I don't buy that there's that much potential for full blown games without any form of controller, but combined with a simple thumbstick and trigger (like the wii nunchuck, as much as it pains me to say it), we're talking the ability to combine something like house of the dead with a full blown FPS with full interaction. Want to shove a zombie to the right and then punch the one behind it? Go for it. Wanna throw a grenade at its feet and then duck as its body flies over you? Sure, go right ahead. With a little imagination there's a heck of a lot of potential there.

How about interactive martial arts training? Sure it wouldn't technically be a game (and it wouldn't be able to replace proper instruction), but it'd certainly be better than any similiar software on the wii. It could make sure you were performing every move correctly, and you could even 'spar' with an on screen opponent.
This was the exact same train of thought for the Wii when it was first announced and released. And has any of that happened yet?

Can't blame people for being skeptical of a very similar situation.

I'll reserve my opinion of Natal when it comes out and I get some hands on with it, but right now, as impressive as the technology goes, I'm still very skeptical of it as I haven't seen one gameplay footage of it besides what they showed last year at E3. At least with the Move they've announced some games and showed the capabilities off.

EDIT: OT: I'm taking this survey with a good amount of salt. 2,000 people hardly mirrors the knowledge of 70,000,000 total people, though I do realize that large samples are hard to obtain. And the people they surveyed could just be grandmothers who don't know where the "X" button is on the 360 controller (just an example).

I could ask people right here if they knew what the Natal/Move was and many more people would know because this is a gaming forum. Who or What is Nielson? Where did they get their surveyors? Who did they ask?

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
t_rexaur said:
Mako SOLDIER said:
Technically (unless you count the awful gamecube controller), the age of gimmicks started with the Nintendo DS. It hit infancy with the Wii, and now it's approaching adolescence. We're still firmly stuck in the age of gimmicks really.

I really don't see how people can not see the potential of Natal. How about Dance Dance Revolution without a floor mat, or even a fantasy fps where you cast spells with gestures and swing a plastic sword that actually appears to cleave through your enemies? That's ignoring the sheer awesomness of controlling your movie and music playback with gestures or voice. Sure, I don't buy that there's that much potential for full blown games without any form of controller, but combined with a simple thumbstick and trigger (like the wii nunchuck, as much as it pains me to say it), we're talking the ability to combine something like house of the dead with a full blown FPS with full interaction. Want to shove a zombie to the right and then punch the one behind it? Go for it. Wanna throw a grenade at its feet and then duck as its body flies over you? Sure, go right ahead. With a little imagination there's a heck of a lot of potential there.

How about interactive martial arts training? Sure it wouldn't technically be a game (and it wouldn't be able to replace proper instruction), but it'd certainly be better than any similiar software on the wii. It could make sure you were performing every move correctly, and you could even 'spar' with an on screen opponent.
People like you remind me of the utter hypocrisy of the internet. You clearly hate the Wii and it's controller, and yet now Microsoft are doing something similar you are fawning over it like a love sick teenager. Hell you've pretty much just taken the promo videos and are trying to hype them here.

It's not going to work, or at least, all rational logic points to the fact that it shouldn't work. The biggest argument against the Wii motion controls is that you have to flail your arms about. Do you honestly, truly expect said people to start flailing their entire bodies?

Actually there's no real point arguing with you is there? Pretty much your entire post screams "I am a anti Nintendo, pro XBox fanboy".
Wow, what hateful tripe.

The fact of the matter is that Natal promises to do something significantly different to the Wii. Yes I dislike the Wii, because it promised a heck of a lot and then failed to deliver. If Natal does the same then I will dislike it too. As Jumplion said in his far more intelligent reply to my post, my views on natal are pretty much the same as the general view was about the Wii before it came out. It took the Wii years to actually deliver (with the release of the Motion +) on what it was supposed to do from day one: true 1:1 motion control. Does that mean it has no decent games? No, it doesn't. There are plenty of decent Wii games, albeit ones that could have been done just as well with a standard controller, or use the Wiimote in a very limtied manner. In fact one of my favourite Wii games uses the Wiimote in a very basic but well suited manner and gets consistently low scores across the board, and that's Ju:On. However, the Wii (partly due to Nintendo's obsession with carving out a market for itself that is independent of any other manufacturer) has, along with the DS, been responsible for the largest amount of awful shovelware games in gaming history. So yeah, I have reason to dislike the Wii. It looked great on paper and in early demos, but the reality fell spectacularly short.

The only reson I'm not excited by the Move is that it doesn't seem to be all that different from the Wiimote, not because of some crazy Xbox brand loyalty. We've already established that I was as excited about the Wii as everyone else was until it came out.

The fact of the matter is that Natal has potential and Microsoft has the benefit of a) the money to throw at proper developers to get them making games (if you really think Microsoft will allow games like 'My Horse and Me' or 'Bratz Fashion Designer' on their platform then I feel that you're somewhat deluded), and b) the knowledge of where Nintendo screwed up. Sure, Natal might suck, but I for one am not so mindlessly cynical to dismiss it quite yet. Thanks.

Take a minute to think before you start barking like a rabid pitt bull next time. It's actually pretty funny that someone with a Pikachu avatar and a clearly overly defensive stance regarding Nintendo should be massively rude and aggressive to someone and then accuse them of being both a hypocrite and a fanboy. Hmmm, me thinks I smell a rat. Or should I say a rattatta. Oh wait, I can't possibly know of another pokemon other than pikachu, I'm just a Microsoft fanboy. What a diglett.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Jumplion said:
Snippity snip
This was the exact same train of thought for the Wii when it was first announced and released. And has any of that happened yet?

Can't blame people for being skeptical of a very similar situation.

I'll reserve my opinion of Natal when it comes out and I get some hands on with it, but right now, as impressive as the technology goes, I'm still very skeptical of it as I haven't seen one gameplay footage of it besides what they showed last year at E3. At least with the Move they've announced some games and showed the capabilities off.

EDIT: OT: I'm taking this survey with a good amount of salt. 2,000 people hardly mirrors the knowledge of 70,000,000 total people, though I do realize that large samples are hard to obtain. And the people they surveyed could just be grandmothers who don't know where the "X" button is on the 360 controller (just an example).

I could ask people right here if they knew what the Natal/Move was and many more people would know because this is a gaming forum. Who or What is Nielson? Where did they get their surveyors? Who did they ask?[/quote]

Oh, totally, people have every right to be sceptical. We've pretty much all been burned by gimmicks in the past. Yeah, I've still only seen that ball thing and the Milo/Dashboard demo where they show someone going all minority report on the NXE menus, but hopefully we'll see something a bit more significant at E3 very soon. Yeah, the Move has been impressive so far, although as I've previously mentioned, it just seems to do what the Wii was supposed to do but never really delivered on. That said, perhaps some of that excitement from immediately pre Wii-launch deserves to be transferred to the Move? We'll see I suppose. I guess it all comes down to the software. Roll on the E3 footage...

Lol, yeah, the survey has a sample size smaller than the installed user base of Farmville. Hardly inspires confidence.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Mako SOLDIER said:
Oh, totally, people have every right to be sceptical. We've pretty much all been burned by gimmicks in the past. Yeah, I've still only seen that ball thing and the Milo/Dashboard demo where they show someone going all minority report on the NXE menus, but hopefully we'll see something a bit more significant at E3 very soon. Yeah, the Move has been impressive so far, although as I've previously mentioned, it just seems to do what the Wii was supposed to do but never really delivered on. That said, perhaps some of that excitement from immediately pre Wii-launch deserves to be transferred to the Move? We'll see I suppose. I guess it all comes down to the software. Roll on the E3 footage...

Lol, yeah, the survey has a sample size smaller than the installed user base of Farmville. Hardly inspires confidence.
Well, the main reason why I'm not entirely impressed with the Natal is that it's basically just an EyeToy (or if you want to get degrading, a Webcam). I guess since I have a PS3 but not a 360, I'm naturally more interested in the product that I can get my hands on. Interest by association I guess.

And the Move itself is actually a very impressive piece of technology. I won't go into the technical stuff, 'cause frankly even I don't get it, but all the tech on the little top lollipop ball on the Move is apparently filled up with some awesome technology to make superb 1:1 movement without needing an addon to make it happen *coughcoughWiiMotion+coughcough*

But now I'm just ranting. Though in response to t_rexaur's argument, you did seem to been going off the handle with Natal's supposed capabilities.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
And the Move itself is actually a very impressive piece of technology. I won't go into the technical stuff, 'cause frankly even I don't get it, but all the tech on the little top lollipop ball on the Move is apparently filled up with some awesome technology to make superb 1:1 movement without needing an addon to make it happen *coughcoughWiiMotion+coughcough*
I know I should do better than to rise to something like this but let me just point out that Sony spent a lot of time decrying motion as a gimmick and now have created the ultimate in hypocrisy in the Playstation Move (and the less I say about SIXAXIS the better), which still is likely going to cost more than a Wiimote and Wiimotion+ combined at any rate. I will admit it is impressive, from what I saw in a demo of it at Boston Postmortem, but it's not impressive enough in that it won't get me to buy a PS3. Others may not be as hardlined as I am however.

EDIT: As to my thoughts on Natal, like The Move it is impressive but I think the lack of tactile feedback will hurt it.

And in both cases I find it hilarious that many PS3 and Xbox 360 supporters are so willing to flock to their chosen console's version of motion control after spending time ragging on the Wii. Way to stick to your guns.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Jumplion said:
Mako SOLDIER said:

Well, the main reason why I'm not entirely impressed with the Natal is that it's basically just an EyeToy (or if you want to get degrading, a Webcam). I guess since I have a PS3 but not a 360, I'm naturally more interested in the product that I can get my hands on. Interest by association I guess.

But now I'm just ranting. Though in response to t_rexaur's argument, you did seem to been going off the handle with Natal's supposed capabilities.
Oh, there's no doubting the Move is indeed a very impressive piece of tech (whereas Natal by contrast is based on tech that Nintendo apparently rejected a good few years ago). Natal is way more than just a camera, seeing as it apparently has full facial and voice recognition for multiple people at once, all of whom can drop in and out simply by walking in or out of shot, not to mention accurate depth recognition. You are right though, when it comes down to it there is definitely a chance it could turn out to essentially be an eyetoy with added bells and whistles. It's the implementation that will make all the difference.

As for t-rexaur's argument, I was only stating what I saw as possibilites based on not just what I've seen of Natal so far, but also on a hypothetical combination of Natal + controller. These are probably ideas that will never come to pass, but they're no less ambitious than the ideas I had when the Wii was first revealed. There's potential for some amazing things with anmost any form of motion control, it just needs the right imagination of the part of the developers. I mean where's the first person mech game with twin nunchuck controls and shoulder mounted wiimote for tracking weapon systems? It seemed like such an obvious idea to me when the Wii came out. Ok, so there are logistics issues(such as an extra wiimote and a bespoke adapter to connect them together, along with a shoulder holster), but if people will pay for Steel Battalion and its crazy over the top controller then something like this would be pretty simple (and cheap) in comparison. The capacity for games that really push the boat out is already there, and Nintendo had the right idea, but so much of the motion control in games at the moment is so uninspired. Another:Code on the DS had that awesome stamp puzzle, but that's the most imaginative thing I've seen done with any of the alternate control methods so far. But I digress. My point is basically that there's a lot of potential in new technologies. I've pretty much written off Nintendo for having so much of a headstart with motion control but failing to deliver, but the potential is still there and I'm not quite prepared to write Natal (or Move for that matter, as you say, we follow the tech we're most likely to buy and I don't own a PS3, but it still looks pretty sophisticated)off. It's not the tech that will determine the success of either product, it's what the developers do with it. Microsoft support their developers extremely well, and Sony seem prepared to take the gamble with seemongly off the wall ideas, so there's a good chance that something good could come of motion control.

My main objection with t_rexaur's argument wasn't that he found my ideas unfeasible, or that he disagreed with me. That's just life, and I'm usually up for a bit of a civilised debate, but it was his frankly abusive attitude regarding my post that annoyed me. He made an insulting and ill-informed attack on me based on the fact that he took offense at me bad-mouthing the Wii in a few minor comments. Plus he displayed all the traits he was attacking me for supposedly having, and I can't stand hypocrisy.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
I know I should do better than to rise to something like this but let me just point out that Sony spent a lot of time decrying motion as a gimmick and now have created the ultimate in hypocrisy in the Playstation Move (and the less I say about SIXAXIS the better), which still is likely going to cost more than a Wiimote and Wiimotion+ combined at any rate. I will admit it is impressive, from what I saw in a demo of it at Boston Postmortem, but it's not impressive enough in that it won't get me to buy a PS3. Others may not be as hardlined as I am however.

EDIT: As to my thoughts on Natal, like The Move it is impressive but I think the lack of tactile feedback will hurt it.

And in both cases I find it hilarious that many PS3 and Xbox 360 supporters are so willing to flock to their chosen console's version of motion control after spending time ragging on the Wii. Way to stick to your guns.
Eh, I could care less about the hypocrisy, it's not like companies going back on their word is anything new (Nintendo Pres said that "Nobody cares about online gaming" among other examples) I'm still very skeptical of both the Move and Natal as we've seen it before with the Wii. But, hey, I'm always a hopeful little bastard, otherwise I wouldn't have bought my Wii in all honesty.

elexis

just another guy
Mar 17, 2009
Estocavio said:
elexis said:
This is the only website where I have heard anything about the natal or move, there have been no advertisements on tv or though gaming retail stores. Did someone forget to hire a marketing team?
I suppose it was sort of advertised via Youtube, some event last year and Xbox.com, but they really, really need to branch out more. On the flipside, everyone who read this now knows!
UPDATE: A Current Affair ("news" show that mainly broadcasts domestic disputes) just did a huge thing on the Kinect, emphasizing that everyone who is anyone is behind it and that it "will bring your family back together in a way never before". Umm, have they heard of the wii?

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
elexis said:
Estocavio said:
elexis said:
This is the only website where I have heard anything about the natal or move, there have been no advertisements on tv or though gaming retail stores. Did someone forget to hire a marketing team?
I suppose it was sort of advertised via Youtube, some event last year and Xbox.com, but they really, really need to branch out more. On the flipside, everyone who read this now knows!
UPDATE: A Current Affair ("news" show that mainly broadcasts domestic disputes) just did a huge thing on the Kinect, emphasizing that everyone who is anyone is behind it and that it "will bring your family back together in a way never before". Umm, have they heard of the wii?
It basically is the Wii, only with Less Games.
Seriously, go look.
The selection is slightly pathetic - They could at least have given some variety.