Most milked franchise

NeoStar

New member
Jul 10, 2011
58
0
0
Halo. I can't believe pezople would ignore a franchise that does nothing different each game, yet rank on Mario, a series that at least mixes it up every time! And you can't just say "Thatz diffurent, n00b! Peepul want mor Halo, Mario iz 4 n00bz!" Because, last I checked, every core, RPG and sports mario game has been a fun, addictive hit using various formulas. Halo? It relies solely on online play with just adding a few new weapons to old gameplay. They should of had enough after 3, but 4, 5 and 6? I guess Microsoft just knows that if it has Halo in its name, it'll sell like hotcakes and no one will be allowed to criticize it on the internet without getting flamed.
I myself am readying myself for the flamestorm to come...
 

Vykrel

New member
Feb 26, 2009
1,317
0
0
Mario is probably the number 1 most-milked franchise. there are about 12 or 13 games that are from the core Super Mario series, but there are over a hundred more spinoff games, not to mention that Mario also appears in many other series.

and really the majority of Nintendo's franchises. Pokemon, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc. they absolutely refuse to come up with anything new. i would prefer to see an interesting new character and series, rather than seeing Mario in 2D, then 3D, the 2.5D, then top-down, then pinball, then racing, and then repeat over and over and over again.
 

Eclectic Dreck

New member
Sep 3, 2008
6,662
0
0
Kuma_Nur said:
Mario

How Many Games will it take before fans say enough? I'm guessing "Never"
This is almost certainly the correct answer as Mario has appeared in over 200 games. None of the other Nintendo classic franchises come close and modern interpretations of "franchise milking" pale in comparison. On the NES alone you had Donkey Kong, Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers 2, Super Mario Brothers 3, Golf, Dr Mario, Mike Tyson's Punchout (He was the ref), Mario is Missing, Mario's Time Machine and even an appearance in Tetris. That's ignoring his presence in games that were never released in the US, or I'm sure plenty of games where he made a cameo.

By contrast, modern contenders for milking include Halo (3 main series games, a prequel and a side story along with an offshoot RTS title for a total of six games in a decade), Guitar Hero (5 main series games and a total of 20 games bearing "Guitar Hero" in the title), Call of Duty (Six main series games, nearly a dozen individual titles like Finest Hour or Big Red One), and Final Fantasy (50 total titles including 13 main series and many notable offshoots such as Tactics). That simply pales in comparison to Mario to the extent that the discussion more or less has no reason to happen.

To put it simply, Mario has been milked to the point where people no longer consider yet another Mario game to be milking at all. It has been milked to the point that one cannot discuss the history of video games in any way without spending a fair amount of time talking about Mario. He's been milked to the point that he has literally had brand new titles for me to play since I was but a tiny child and I'm pushing thirty.
 

psicat

New member
Feb 13, 2011
448
0
0
The Half-Life series, it's being slowly and surely milked to death. And, the Guitar Hero games there have been well over a dozen of those things made in a relatively short time.
 

Ocelano

New member
Apr 14, 2009
455
0
0
SpaceBat said:
Guitar Hero
Call of Duty
Halo

Calcium said:
The Mario RPGs...
Haven't there only been 4 Mario RPG's in 11 years?
I don't think he meant the rpgs as an individual entity bgut as an example of how the general mario name has been played out
 

Ocelano

New member
Apr 14, 2009
455
0
0
Eclectic Dreck said:
Kuma_Nur said:
Mario

How Many Games will it take before fans say enough? I'm guessing "Never"
This is almost certainly the correct answer as Mario has appeared in over 200 games. None of the other Nintendo classic franchises come close and modern interpretations of "franchise milking" pale in comparison. On the NES alone you had Donkey Kong, Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario Brothers 2, Super Mario Brothers 3, Golf, Dr Mario, Mike Tyson's Punchout (He was the ref), Mario is Missing, Mario's Time Machine and even an appearance in Tetris. That's ignoring his presence in games that were never released in the US, or I'm sure plenty of games where he made a cameo.

By contrast, modern contenders for milking include Halo (3 main series games, a prequel and a side story along with an offshoot RTS title for a total of six games in a decade), Guitar Hero (5 main series games and a total of 20 games bearing "Guitar Hero" in the title), Call of Duty (Six main series games, nearly a dozen individual titles like Finest Hour or Big Red One), and Final Fantasy (50 total titles including 13 main series and many notable offshoots such as Tactics). That simply pales in comparison to Mario to the extent that the discussion more or less has no reason to happen.

To put it simply, Mario has been milked to the point where people no longer consider yet another Mario game to be milking at all. It has been milked to the point that one cannot discuss the history of video games in any way without spending a fair amount of time talking about Mario. He's been milked to the point that he has literally had brand new titles for me to play since I was but a tiny child and I'm pushing thirty.
Why is no one including the wario franchise when the list the mario series wario spun off from it after all
 

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
692
0
0
NeoStar said:
Halo. I can't believe pezople would ignore a franchise that does nothing different each game, yet rank on Mario, a series that at least mixes it up every time! And you can't just say "Thatz diffurent, n00b! Peepul want mor Halo, Mario iz 4 n00bz!" Because, last I checked, every core, RPG and sports mario game has been a fun, addictive hit using various formulas. Halo? It relies solely on online play with just adding a few new weapons to old gameplay. They should of had enough after 3, but 4, 5 and 6? I guess Microsoft just knows that if it has Halo in its name, it'll sell like hotcakes and no one will be allowed to criticize it on the internet without getting flamed.
I myself am readying myself for the flamestorm to come...
here is your order of flame sir
yes as there massive differences between this:

and this

apart from some art changes
 

Assassin Xaero

New member
Jul 23, 2008
5,393
0
0
Mario, by far. But the Mario games haven't hit the low that Call of Duty and Halo have, so they must be doing something right...
 

Dr.Cereal1

New member
Mar 30, 2011
50
0
0
psicat said:
The Half-Life series, it's being slowly and surely milked to death. And, the Guitar Hero games there have been well over a dozen of those things made in a relatively short time.
It's disturbing how stupid the points at attempt at hate that are practically only found on this website towards Valve and their game series.
Honestly, half life, milked? There hasn't even been a game for years now...
 

Assassin Xaero

New member
Jul 23, 2008
5,393
0
0
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
You know you're missing some, right?
United Offensive
Finest Hour
Big Red One
Roads to Victory
Final Fronts
 

DrStupid87

New member
Mar 17, 2011
197
0
0
Sgt. Sykes said:
Half-Life. Valve has based all their reputation on one game and have been selling it (and it's mods) ever since.
Really?
I could have sword that Valve did:

Portal
Left 4 Dead

Neither of those were mods as far as I know. And if Valve keeps delivering the quality they do, then they can milk Half Life until its udders catch fire.
 

sean360h

New member
Jun 2, 2010
207
0
0
Cid SilverWing said:
Oh I am SO naming the culprits.

Warcraft
Splinter Cell
Call of Duty
Command & Conquer
Final Fantasy
Ratchet & Clank (they're damn close)
Heroes of Might and Magic
Battlefield
Star Wars
Every Nintendo and Sega franchise ever
Halo
Gears of War
Dead Space
Sly Cooper (the trilogy bundle was a buggy waste)
id disagree with quite a few of them splinter cell dead space and gears of war to be exact its odd you call out a series with 2 games and you dont even think to mention all the sports games reboot (fifa like 96-11 the madden and basketball games)
 

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
1,147
0
0
Assassin Xaero said:
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty: World at War
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
You know you're missing some, right?
United Offensive
Finest Hour
Big Red One
Roads to Victory
Final Fronts
Yeah that dawned on my about five minutes after I posted and I was too busy to go back and edit, fixing that up now.
 

The Diabolical Biz

New member
Jun 25, 2009
1,620
0
0
mb16 said:
NeoStar said:
Halo. I can't believe pezople would ignore a franchise that does nothing different each game, yet rank on Mario, a series that at least mixes it up every time! And you can't just say "Thatz diffurent, n00b! Peepul want mor Halo, Mario iz 4 n00bz!" Because, last I checked, every core, RPG and sports mario game has been a fun, addictive hit using various formulas. Halo? It relies solely on online play with just adding a few new weapons to old gameplay. They should of had enough after 3, but 4, 5 and 6? I guess Microsoft just knows that if it has Halo in its name, it'll sell like hotcakes and no one will be allowed to criticize it on the internet without getting flamed.
I myself am readying myself for the flamestorm to come...
here is your order of flame sir
yes as there massive differences between this:

and this

apart from some art changes
To be honest that's not really a fair comparison. A more apt one would be this:



and this:



I mean yes, there are a lot of Mario games but a fair few of them are in a multitude of different genres. Better a franchised milked like that than the same game over and over.

Note, I am not saying that Mario isn't milked to death, but you chose a very unfair image to represent it.