Most Overrated Game

Dr. Gorgenflex

May 10, 2009
What do you guys think the most overrated game of all time is.

For me, it definitely has to be Modern Warfare 2. It had a short, stupid campaign, multiplayer that was a step backwards from CoD 4, and this game received a metascore of 94. The only thing they added was a co op mode which isn't even that good. The reviews of this game drive me to insanity because they state the major flaws and give it 10/10 anyways and people praise it.

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Might as well just change the title to "MW2 sucks"....

OT: I think Battlefield: Bad Company and TF2 are pretty overrated.

Garaw

Sep 22, 2009
Any game published after the release of Hunt the Wumpus. It was all downhill after that.

DistinctlyBenign

Dec 24, 2008
Final Fantasy VII.

I mean its good and all, but the praise it gets is like its the single greatest game in the history of games. I can find a better game in the same series. Several, in fact.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
Videogames are overrated. All they do is train terrorists and murderers anyway.

Sadly necessary edit: THIS WAS A DELIBERATELY FACETIOUS REPLY AS A COMMENT ON THE INANITY OF THIS THREAD. WOULD I REALLY HAVE CLOCKED UP OVER A THOUSAND POSTS IN WELL OVER A YEAR ON A GAMING WEBSITE IF THAT WERE MY TRUE OPINION? STOP FUCKING MESSAGING AND QUOTING ME SERIOUSLY ABOUT IT.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
All of the Call of Duties AFTER 2, I guess. But everyone's saying that.

Fanusc101 said:
Portal.

It doesn't deserve the obscene amount of praise it gets.
Actually I'll have to agree with you. See, I had heard of Portal years before it came out and got excited because it looked like a creative and interesting game to me. It came with the Orange Box and it was the first game I ever bought for the 360. I played Portal (and I loved it) but I ended up liking Half-Life 2 much more. Portal is still fun and creative, but the reason why I probably enjoyed it so much is because I bought it before all the crazy hype that it got. I had played and beaten it before I heard almost all of its jokes quoted endlessly on the internet. If I had played it for the first time right now, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I had before the hype. Hype kills games.

AC Medina

Oct 12, 2009
DistinctlyBenign said:
Final Fantasy VII.

I mean its good and all, but the praise it gets is like its the single greatest game in the history of games. I can find a better game in the same series. Several, in fact.
It goes...

1. FF X
2. FF IX
3. FF VII
4. FF VIII
5. FF XII

That's without counting the NES/SNES ones...and I'm willing to flip the order of 8 and 9. The reason FF VII gets so much praise it's because, as the first of them all, it sort of set the bar and is the standard others are measured with. And, yeah, being the first definitely makes it deserving of some credit, but I agree that others actually offer a better story, better gameplay, etc.

I will now begin dodging the oncoming hate bullets.

ayahtzeefan

Jul 21, 2009
oh god theres so many: the zelda games, all JRPGs, mass effect (the story was good but the gameplay was a bore), and the halo series. to name only a few

ribonuge

Dec 7, 2009
Automatically the Halo series and the Call of Duty series.

Also in terms of over hyped it's still Halo and CoD...and also Star Wars Force Unleashed.