Most Overrated Game

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Final Fantasy Series to me. It had some good games but come on they're not the "pinnacle of RPG's" thats just the fangirls talking.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
I really fucking hate the term "overrated", because everyone just uses it to mean "I don't like this", seriously, just because you don't like it doesn't change the fact that the majority does, so it's not overrated.

That said, I do not think that Tetris deserves the praise it gets, let alone the common title of "best game ever".

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
BaldursBananaSoap said:
FF7. It's not even the best in the series, let alone the best RPG ever. Plus Cloud is a whiny spiky haired bastard who sits about crying "I'm not strong enough" for the whole game.

Halo 3 - see above
What the fuck? That makes no sense. Are you saying Halo 3 is overrated because it's not the best in the series, or that Master Chief is a spiky haired bastard?

Heraklitus

Mar 29, 2009
Zelda: Twilight Princess.

My wife and I both tried this when we first got our Wii due to the super high reviews it received, and we just didn't get it.

The controls are awkward, the camera isn't where you want it, and it has an anime aesthetic sensibility which is always a minus for me.

One big failure for any game for is when it's clear what you want to do, but you can't make the game do it. I remember at one point trying to get Link up onto a roof of a house but had to spend half an hour trying to figure out what strange thing it wanted me to do to cojole Link up there.

Anyhow, OVERRATED! :) There were some interesting elements to it, but overall I just don't understand why people went ga ga over it.

Heraklitus

Mar 29, 2009
Weslebear said:
Half Life series has been blown way out of proportion in terms of hype, they are quite boring games and nowhere near the levels of hype they generate.
This would be on my short list of runners up.

Sven und EIN HUND

Sep 23, 2009
Kaleion said:
Haha a game is only over rated after you hear praise about it, Try playing games you have without listening to anybody's opinnion and be impressed, they are a lot more fun if you play them without hearing anybody's oppinion about it!
Exactly. Goddamn it EXACTLY. But people's opinions on games are everywhere, it's pretty hard not to hear or see any of them.

ProfessorLayton said:
All of the Call of Duties AFTER 2, I guess. But everyone's saying that.

Fanusc101 said:
Portal.

It doesn't deserve the obscene amount of praise it gets.
Actually I'll have to agree with you. See, I had heard of Portal years before it came out and got excited because it looked like a creative and interesting game to me. It came with the Orange Box and it was the first game I ever bought for the 360. I played Portal (and I loved it) but I ended up liking Half-Life 2 much more. Portal is still fun and creative, but the reason why I probably enjoyed it so much is because I bought it before all the crazy hype that it got. I had played and beaten it before I heard almost all of its jokes quoted endlessly on the internet. If I had played it for the first time right now, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I had before the hype. Hype kills games.
Here is my thing about portal. I love it. I also view it as a nice addition to the set of games presented by The Orange Box, but that's all I see it as; it's a nice little extra. It isn't really it's own game, fully... It's an enjoyable 2-4 hour extra, which, coupled with TF2 and half-life 2, makes for a great game bundle.

Xandus117 said:
I find that Half-Life 2 is the most overrated game ever.

*activates flame shield*
Sigh... You can't say that. Seriously, you just can't. You can say you didn't enjoy it, or that it sucks, or whatever, but just because 95% of everyone else enjoyed it does NOT make it overrated. Enjoy the quotes.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
ayahtzeefan said:
LeonHellsvite said:
ayahtzeefan said:
all JRPGs
That sure is being a hater as they are not all over rated, just FFVII.
well i think they all suck and get way too much popularity
Judging by your name I am just going to assume it is actually because you are just blindly following what a certain someone says. You are also generalizing because you couldnt possible have played them all so you have no reason to say they all suck.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Dr. Gorgenflex said:
What do you guys think the most overrated game of all time is.

For me, it definitely has to be Modern Warfare 2. It had a short, stupid campaign, multiplayer that was a step backwards from CoD 4, and this game received a metascore of 94. The only thing they added was a co op mode which isn't even that good. The reviews of this game drive me to insanity because they state the major flaws and give it 10/10 anyways and people praise it.
The Escapist needs to make a separate forum for nothing but "overrated" threads.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
I suppose that rather than bashing a decent and highly rated but unoriginal game I'll target Black and White, an original and highly rated but simply bad game.

Most reviews praised its ingenuity and everything about it, but the game just didn't work. You had to go through intricate mouse gestures that wouldn't work most of the time to cast spells (or move back to your headquarters and click on a spell) rather than just keywords, the much-touted AI on your creature was rather poor in practical, combat wasn't deep and it was usually hard to do anything but lob objects inaccurately in the vague direction of enemies.

It was about as tightly designed as a pair of magnets with the same polarization held together by gum. It was also what jaded me to Molyneux's claims.

Viewtiful Joe would be my runner-up. The game had a unique aesthetic and premise, it was pretty good for the first few hours and I've never seen anyone else complain about it. But it was hard. Not in the sense of Demon's Souls's versatility, I Wanna Be The Guy's constant gotcha moments, but in the sense of constantly repeating long, tedious battles that were all best resolved with the same move (Red Hot One Hundred) repeated again and again that are long enough to make lesser-skilled players die. You fight the same types of enemies repeatedly and many of them take ages to kill. And unlike other hard games, the combat isn't deep enough to reward experimentation because one move outshines them all.

The Movieworld aesthetic and powers lose their charm after a while, and puzzles rarely consist of using your powers in new and interesting ways but rather they favor using all the powers you have repeatedly in hopes that you stumble on the thought process that the designers have. And the puzzles are frequent.

The gleaming reviews for the game were the reason I bought it and its sequel (and because I was looking for a decent modern beat'em'up) but they weren't good purchases. They're not horribly bad games, they're just highly overrated.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I'm going to go ahead and say Super Mario Bros 3.

The game wasn't based around skill, but instead was based around memorization.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Well here's my list:

-Halo series: You know, I haven't like this series for a while now, but now and then I actually do try and give it another chance to see if it'll grow on me....but then I hear the voices of a 100 thousand screaming douchbags that keep grunting over this game and I'm left hating it for another year...lol

-Super Mario series: talk about remaking the same damn game over and over and over again...and still getting away with it...>>

-Dragon Age: Origins: Ok, I get it, Bioware makes games with really good story and voice acting...question is when are they ever going to make up a story that's original...0o

-Grand Theft Auto 4: San Andreas was better, Vice City was better.

-Metal Gear Solid 4: Funny enough it wasn't just the cut scenes/gameplay ratio that pissed me off...it was the entire direction the story took....so let's see:

*Spoilers*

-pretty much killing off Snake for Raiden...check
-Raiden is back magically more badass when we never wanted him back in the first place...check
-waiting all this time to see Meryl again so she gets married off to some guy whose main
characteristic is he has indigestion...umm...??...check0o
-Snake gets stuck with Otacon in the end again and this time I didn't fail any endurance test..check
-Continuing that retarded story about Ocelot being controlled by Liquids hand....check
-Using up one half of the entire games story tiring to explain all the lose ends from the last three installments...check
-Spending the other half to create new lose ends...check
-Watching Otacon cry like a pansy again over another "who gives a shit" character in the game...check.(EE was at least some what acceptable)
-Naomi loitering all over the premise to this game, then killing herself off for no fucking reason...check
-OMFG, bringing back Big Boss to tie up a bunch of loose ends, then killing him off again for no fucking reason....Grrrrrr......checkXO

Ok you know what, that last part did it...MGS 4 is the biggest overly rated piece of shit game ever made...end of story....>>

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I feel I'd be cliched in saying Halo 3, but then Modern Warefare 2 doesn't seem like any less of a cliche, either.

GTA 4 was pretty damn overrated though, but keep in mind the previous two I just mentioned.

ramik81 said:
-Dragon Age: Origins: Ok, I get it, Bioware makes games with really good story and voice acting...question is when are they ever going to make up a story that's original...0o
It's pretty easy to just claim that Dragon Age is a generic world if you don't go very far into it.
While Dragon Age uses a seemingly generic plot and characters, they're all their own, they don't just live as archetypes, they're characters.

So whilst the story is a well-worn one, betrayal and inpending doom, as long as it's been written compellingly, should it really matter if the basic elements are in a lot of other stories?

I would say "no".
Besides that, it's hard for something to not be done before after humanity has existed for so long.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Call of Duty is really overrated, as is the halo series. But I'll let halo slide because I really liked those games, especially ODST and halo wars.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Fanusc101 said:
Portal.

Thank You. Portal is great but not the next thing to heaven as everyone seems to think.

Second for me is Fallout 2. More stuff does not recover the lost atmosphere. And why tribals?!

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
Fanusc101 said:
Portal.

Thank You. Portal is great but not the next thing to heaven as everyone seems to think.

Second for me is Fallout 2. More stuff does not recover the lost atmosphere. And why tribals?!
I just started playing Fallout 2. The one thing I can't stand about the game is that you're almost required to tag Unarmed or Melee Weapons.

I had one character playing for awhile that had Energy Weapons tagged along with Melee Weapons, and I still haven't even found a damn laser pistol, so I'm stuck running up to guys with a cattle prod and hoping my followers don't accidentally plug me full of lead... which they always do...