Most Overrated Game

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Kaiser Jon said:
I just started playing Fallout 2. The one thing I can't stand about the game is that you're almost required to tag Unarmed or Melee Weapons.
Or you could just run and dodge, it is possible.
That said, it is the worst tutorial level ever made.

Love the game, myself, though.

era81

Jun 11, 2009
Halo has never done anything that older games didn't do better except bore the fuck out of me.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
I feel I'd be cliched in saying Halo 3, but then Modern Warefare 2 doesn't seem like any less of a cliche, either.

GTA 4 was pretty damn overrated though, but keep in mind the previous two I just mentioned.

ramik81 said:
-Dragon Age: Origins: Ok, I get it, Bioware makes games with really good story and voice acting...question is when are they ever going to make up a story that's original...0o
It's pretty easy to just claim that Dragon Age is a generic world if you don't go very far into it.
While Dragon Age uses a seemingly generic plot and characters, they're all their own, they don't just live as archetypes, they're characters.

So whilst the story is a well-worn one, betrayal and inpending doom, as long as it's been written compellingly, should it really matter if the basic elements are in a lot of other stories?

I would say "no".
Besides that, it's hard for something to not be done before after humanity has existed for so long.
The Darkspawn thing seems pretty cliched, but I love the political atmosphere in Dragon Age. That's the game's saving grace if you ask me.

Ghadente

White Rabbit
Mar 21, 2009
hmm... what i getting from this thread is that every relatively known game is overrated.

i think we all just need to ignore hype and judge the game based on our own opinion after we play it ourselves. Quit taking public popularity into consideration.

"play and let play"

Usurpurus

Oct 12, 2009
There are loads I can think of, Battlefield 2 being the worst but here's my list:

TF2, Dragon Age: Origins (or at least what I've played), Diablo 2

Also, you can't judge a game you haven't played fully so I don't know about any CoD game unfortunately

Dr. Gorgenflex said:
and this game received a metascore of 94.
No it didn't, it got 86.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
Kaiser Jon said:
I just started playing Fallout 2. The one thing I can't stand about the game is that you're almost required to tag Unarmed or Melee Weapons.
Or you could just run and dodge, it is possible.
That said, it is the worst tutorial level ever made.

Love the game, myself, though.
I once had a 84% chance to hit with a spear thrust miss 7 times in a row...

What bugs me about the old fallout games is that you're not guaranteed to hit until you have your skill at or above 90%. Also it's fucking impossible to get long-range shots with small arms early in the game. I was treating my 10mm pistol like a melee weapon almost. Oh and forget aiming. 70% Small Guns gave me a 12% chance for a groin shot at point blank. BAH!

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
It's pretty easy to just claim that Dragon Age is a generic world if you don't go very far into it.
While Dragon Age uses a seemingly generic plot and characters, they're all their own, they don't just live as archetypes, they're characters.

So whilst the story is a well-worn one, betrayal and inpending doom, as long as it's been written compellingly, should it really matter if the basic elements are in a lot of other stories?

I would say "no".
Besides that, it's hard for something to not be done before after humanity has existed for so long.
I don't know, not saying it wasn't a good game... actually "it was a good game"...0o

But the games generic theme annoyed me to the point I couldn't help but to see all the praise it's getting as a bit of hype.

Which also really entertained me to hear all the fans pissing and moaning after gametrailers.com and gamespot.com picking Demon's Souls over DA:O.

Whether it deserved it or not...it was a necessary blow to the games ego...=/

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Kaiser Jon said:
I once had a 84% chance to hit with a spear thrust miss 7 times in a row...

What bugs me about the old fallout games is that you're not guaranteed to hit until you have your skill at or above 90%. Also it's fucking impossible to get long-range shots with small arms early in the game. I was treating my 10mm pistol like a melee weapon almost. Oh and forget aiming. 70% Small Guns gave me a 12% chance for a groin shot at point blank. BAH!
Um, I don't know if you know this, but having 70% in Fallout 2 is like having 30 or even 20 in Fallout 3.

The skills go up to 300%, last time I checked, you see.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Halo, Zelda, Mario... Many big exclusive titles aint really that good, but its mostly your own tast in gaming. But Halo is still waaaay too overrated. But however, Ive been noticing the Halo hype is dying, only a few times nowadays I see "wow more Halo!" those fans are undead slaves, then theres the serius Halo fans which I kind of support, those who says Halo was done after Halo 2. All franchises expire somethimes, Microsoft and Nintendo dont seem to notice that = more and more Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Halo games just keep coming... Its a curse!