Most shameful ingame or DLC purchase

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
lord canti said:
Nothing will ever be as bad as Asura's Wrath. Because the DLC it had wasn't some extra thing or a new costume, no, it was the goddamn ending of the story. Shamefully I bought it because at that point I was so invested in the story I truly wanted to see how it ended. That was how I started hating capcom.
I actually traded the game back in when I realized what the DLC was because I was so disgusted with it. Yes, the game had already gotten crap scores, so no one was rioting over it, but Capcom still needs to be held accountable for that.

As for mine, I think I've bought a costume here or there for a couple bucks for some games only to never use them because while they might have been cool, they broke immersion too much.

Okay, most shameful is actually Fire Emblem Awakening's DLC, but it's shameful because it makes grinding for money and xp insanely easy and can easily break the game. However, I don't exactly regret it so much as I'm ashamed of it because I went to one convention with my 3DS and there are no spots on the map that have Risen on them that don't also have a lvl 30 Grandmaster team on them and it would have crippled my second playthrough without these.

FC Groningen

Apr 1, 2009
I have to point to Stronghold Kingdoms here. You need to buy crowns to buy cards and premium tokens which gives a paying user such an advantage over a non paying user, it's basically impossible for even groups of non paying users to beat said person if he knows what he's doing. Since the biggest spenders literally spend thousands of dollars on the game a week (somehow it attracted an audience with very deep pockets), you'd have to spend at least hundreds of dollars just to touch them or to play with them. Basically you need to spend a huge amount of money just to compete if you want to own more than just your village.

After many complaints from the community, the developer over time introduces even stronger cards (but very rare of course) and slightly increases the costs of most cards.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Luckily, I don't have any embarrassing (or any other kind) purchases from mobile apps. I am pretty ashamed of the few League skins I've bought, though.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
I bought a 10? cat in World of Warcraft for the Crazy for Cats achievement which gives me the Crazy Cat Lady title.
Basically you have to collect 20 out of 25 cats with 5 behind a paywall and after grinding and paying in game gold for 19 cats, I said fuck it and bought the last one in the shop.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
The Crocodile and the Saber Tooth Tiger in Tokyo Jungle. Both are super strong, but they were so slow, I hardly used either of them after a brief romp through the game with both.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Basically anything in World of Warcraft. Buy the game, buy the expansion packs, pay for a subscription (that option that should result in you having access to everything in the game) and then there are a plethora of ridiculously overpriced things like pets and mounts which cost like $25 each.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I've bought cash shop glamour fodder and wedding bands on FFXIV to sellt o people for gil in game.

Not really ashamed of it though, the way I see it is they have time to craft and spiritbond and get fat rich that way, I don't and the ability to sell them these things with my considerable disposable income gives me a nice flow of extra funds with which I can procure useful gear and housing items.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I guess I can't be too mad at the game, considering it's completely free to play and you don't actually need to buy anything to win (and plus it's really, really good), but I bought the sword sheath addition in "Path of Exile". It adds a sheath to your back to put your weapon in. I figured it meant that when I was in town, my character would sheath his sword. Cool, immersion!

But it doesn't. Instead all it does is add a sword sheath to your characters back, but your character continues to carry his weapon like normal. Really, really dumb.

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
CutesySiren said:
L. Declis said:
Mass Effect 3 expected you to pay for a Prothean who was so heavily in the game that they clearly meant to involved him and thought to simply charge you for it instead.

That wasn't very nice.
Which is why the game is entirely playable without him.
playable... yes, complete... no, then again, that whole game was rushed out the door, as evidenced by the multiple glitches, some game breaking http://forum.bioware.com/topic/269542-black-screen-on-startup/. I say this as someone who pre-ordered the Collectors edition, and had that DLC included in my game. Mine would probably be all the weapon packs for ME2 and ME3.

Lee Brocklebank

Feb 23, 2010
lord canti said:
Nothing will ever be as bad as Asura's Wrath. Because the DLC it had wasn't some extra thing or a new costume, no, it was the goddamn ending of the story. Shamefully I bought it because at that point I was so invested in the story I truly wanted to see how it ended. That was how I started hating capcom.
I remember reading that Capcom couldn't fit the ending on the 360 disk but they could be lying I guess (However this still doesn't justify charging for it)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
L. Declis said:
Mass Effect 3 expected you to pay for a Prothean who was so heavily in the game that they clearly meant to involved him and thought to simply charge you for it instead.

That wasn't very nice.
To this day I'm sorely tempted to buy all the DLC and replay the game. I really wanted that side character, since I felt like I was missing out on a major plot point. I still refuse to purchase it on principle, though. Their sheer gall is staggering.

OT: Nothing. I can't recall making any silly DLC purchases, I'm pretty stubborn on that front. I do have quite a collection of unplayed titles on Steam, though.