Most untarnished big-name franchise (can be any type of media)?

u2rocksbaby

Nov 13, 2007
To clarify that rather convoluted title, my question is what mainstream franchise or series do you think, as a whole, has the biggest ratio of good material to tripe associated with it?
In spite of the likelihood that this will discourage other posters from narrowing down their own answer to a single choice, I'd have to give a three-way tie to (a) THE LORD OF THE RINGS, because the trilogy is both my favorite book and film series, which more than makes up for the humdrum of so-so video games based off of it, (b) HALF-LIFE, because there's no other series where even a spinoff of an already near-perfect FPS franchise can be considered one of the greatest games ever made and start its own series, and (c) CALVIN AND HOBBES, because the comics are all there are thanks to Bill Watterson's artistic integrity, and they, let's face it, absolutely define the epitome of that art form to this day.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
u2rocksbaby said:
THE LORD OF THE RINGS
And there's your winner. Aside from a kinda crappy animated version, I don't think there's been anything really bad associated with Lord of the Rings. I even quite enjoyed most of the video games.

Fullmetal Alchemist is pretty awesome as well, although you might not count it as a big name franchise. The manga was good, the series was good, the movie was alright, the second series/remake series was also good - overall, it was very good!

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
Star Wars. Its good is so good and its bad is still marginally satisfying.

I'm tempted to say Mass Effect, but being 16 hours into the 3rd (didn't get it until the other day), I don't want to throw it out there until I've played through at least once.

Dragon Ball. The first was fuggin epic. The 2nd was fuggin epic plus one. The third was really damn good, just gets a bad rep for not being as great as the first 2. That and all the movies are quite quality.

Lord of the Rings is an obvious one.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Until next year that is. Both animated series' so far are two of my favorite shows ever. The comics, especially pre-show are great. The first movie's awesome, the 2nd's really good, and the third's really bad. But it's that kind of bad that's so bad, it's actually pretty funny to watch, so I don't hate it. Blah BLah Blah, turtles rule.

Kevin Smith movies. Gigli aside, which was such a far cry from his typical movie "style" that it's hardly worth counting, his movies have consistently been some of the greatest comedies ever conjured.

That's all I got for now.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Well recently Halo has dropped from Main Stream, it's still popular sure an it's amazing but it's not as "holy shit everyone is doing it" ordeal since Call of Duty took over

I'd personally say that, Dead Space, or a Valve game, but then again Valve is mainstream to its hardcore fans so....it's odd

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I read the title and couldn't think of anything more suitable than Lord of the Rings. I have never been so glad to be ninja'd in my life.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
SycoMantis91 said:
Star Wars. Its good is so good and its bad is still marginally satisfying.

Dragon Ball. The first was fuggin epic. The 2nd was fuggin epic plus one. The third was really damn good, just gets a bad rep for not being as great as the first 2. That and all the movies are quite quality.
Star Wars in one of the biggest tarnished franchises out there. The prequels, the changes and some parts of the expanded universe (New Jedi Order series I think gets a lot of flak). I agree with Dragon Ball for the most part if not for the horrible live action movie. That tarnished its name. Still a great series but now has a black spot on it.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Well I know lots of people on this forum would disagree but I think the Pokemon games have had far more good than bad. Other Pokemon media is a different story.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Erja_Perttu said:
u2rocksbaby said:
THE LORD OF THE RINGS
And there's your winner. Aside from a kinda crappy animated version, I don't think there's been anything really bad associated with Lord of the Rings. I even quite enjoyed most of the video games.

Fullmetal Alchemist is pretty awesome as well, although you might not count it as a big name franchise. The manga was good, the series was good, the movie was alright, the second series/remake series was also good - overall, it was very good!

Watch that and tell me Lord of the Rings was never associated with anything bad. What the fuck were they on?

I will agree with you on FMA though.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Half Life, definitely.
Yeah, first thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread title.

To be honest, nothing much else comes to mind.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
wintercoat said:
Erja_Perttu said:
u2rocksbaby said:
THE LORD OF THE RINGS

Watch that and tell me Lord of the Rings was never associated with anything bad. What the fuck were they on?

Lol is that Spock?

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
zehydra said:
wintercoat said:
Erja_Perttu said:
u2rocksbaby said:
THE LORD OF THE RINGS

Lol is that Spock?
Yes, that is Spock, in all his glory, singing about Hobbits.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
Hmmm seeing as the lord of the rings has been mentioned. I think the Discworld series deserves a mention, couple of extended universe books that are quite entertaining, some actually half decent television adaptations and a couple of old games that I've never played. Over all I think there are probably more far more original books than bad stuff.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
The Legend of Zelda. It hasn't had any really bad games (the CD-i schlock doesn't count since Nintendo had no part in developing it) and Nintendo generally does a good job of treating it with the respect it deserves.