Most Useless Power in a game?

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Heat vision in PROTOTYPE.
"Helps you see through smoke and shit"
There was no smoke to look through at all, the infected vision was much more help.

Cabamacadaf

Mar 17, 2009
Chech said:
Musselmass in Prototype. Yeah, you do more hand to hand damage and can throw stuff with increased efficiency but as Mr. Croshaw pointed out, once you get the extendo tentacle, what is the point? I used Musselmass once when I first got it to see if it was any good and the only other time it got a look-in was by mistake.
Musclemass is awesome, if you charge it you can smash people into tiny bits with a single punch, plus it's very useful against helicopters with cannonball, and to throw stuff at them. I thought the tentacle power was pretty much useless, I only used blade and musclemass.

cubikill

Apr 9, 2009
The Power to blink in Alone in the Dark. You heard me right, they mapped a blink command to the right stick button.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Or how about sleep spells in Final Fantasy? Don't work half the time and when they do the monster is usually hit and subsequently woken up by one of your other players!

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
There are propably better examples, but one that comes to mind is the Light spell in Oblivion.
-Makes sneaking impossible
-You need to either dispel it or wait it out (to sneak again)
-To get a spell of useful magnitude, you need to have a really high skill
-Why not just use torch or night-vision

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Status effect magic in final fantasy games most enemies are eiether immune or restiant to them.

DarkLordofDevon

May 11, 2008
TPiddy said:
Fallout 3 had some pretty useless perks.... like Rad Regeneration.... sure you don't have to waste stimpaks to heal your limbs, but the perk was useless because the radiation level required to heal your limbs gave you horrible stat withdrawals.

They also have one that removes the withdrawal effect from alcohol, and Child at Heart was pretty useless too.
You really didn't like the Rad Reg perk? I keep my rad levels up all the time. Sure I take a few stat hits, but though gear and other perks I keep them high enough so it doesn't matter. And especially early game it saves a hell of a lot of stim packs that would otherwise be wasted on limbs.

I'll agree some of the other perks are a bit useless, especially the stat boost ones which don't make sense since you get stat points every level, why waste a perk on it...

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
SaunaKalja said:
There are propably better examples, but one that comes to mind is the Light spell in Oblivion.
-Makes sneaking impossible
-You need to either dispel it or wait it out (to sneak again)
-To get a spell of useful magnitude, you need to have a really high skill
-Why not just use torch or night-vision
Hahha, good point... though I always found that some torches in games were really uselss. I liked being in complete darkness sometimes.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
DarkLordofDevon said:
TPiddy said:
Fallout 3 had some pretty useless perks.... like Rad Regeneration.... sure you don't have to waste stimpaks to heal your limbs, but the perk was useless because the radiation level required to heal your limbs gave you horrible stat withdrawals.

They also have one that removes the withdrawal effect from alcohol, and Child at Heart was pretty useless too.
You really didn't like the Rad Reg perk? I keep my rad levels up all the time. Sure I take a few stat hits, but though gear and other perks I keep them high enough so it doesn't matter. And especially early game it saves a hell of a lot of stim packs that would otherwise be wasted on limbs.

I'll agree some of the other perks are a bit useless, especially the stat boost ones which don't make sense since you get stat points every level, why waste a perk on it...
I didn't bother with the rad reg perk, I suppose it's because I took adamantium skeleton pretty early on and didn't get too many damaged limbs... Besides, I was tripping over stimpacks in the later levels.

Pifflestick

Jun 10, 2008
Electric Shock on Bioshock. Now, I'm not saying that its a bad power but once you get Winter Blast it becomes useless because you can freeze the guy and smash him to bits with your wrench/shotgun/crossbow. Sure you lose the loot but I never needed any of that shit anyways.

blackshark121

Jan 4, 2009
The good special power in InFamous. "A generic wind up shot" as opposed to "being able to chain lightning, letting you rip shit up Emperor Palpatine" style". Seriously, it was absolutely useless. If it dealt a respectable amount of damage, then maybe I'd have used it.