Most Useless Power in a game?

Cabamacadaf

Mar 17, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
The boosters on the Mako in Mass Effect.

You'd probably assume that the purpose of boosters would be to help you climb up steep cliffs. Well it does the opposite. Instead, the boosters blow you off any steep surface you try to climb up.

The purpose of the boosters is to propel you into the air so you can climb a cliff. However, you can only use the boosters on a completely flat surface without fucking yourself up. And since the boosters only raise you about a pitiful 15 feet off the ground, you can't use it to climb any cliffs unless they are ridiculously small (and you can drive up those).

I can't think of any situation in which that ability was useful.
It's fun to use though. :p

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Cabamacadaf said:
Internet Kraken said:

You'd probably assume that the purpose of boosters would be to help you climb up steep cliffs. Well it does the opposite. Instead, the boosters blow you off any steep surface you try to climb up.

The purpose of the boosters is to propel you into the air so you can climb a cliff. However, you can only use the boosters on a completely flat surface without fucking yourself up. And since the boosters only raise you about a pitiful 15 feet off the ground, you can't use it to climb any cliffs unless they are ridiculously small (and you can drive up those).

It's fun to use though. :p
You know what's not fun? Accidentally activating it at the top of a steep cliff, and as a result falling down into a pit that is almost impossible to drive out of.

Seriously, whomever designed the terrain in that game needs to be punched.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Every power in BioShock has the potential to be totally useless, depending on your strategy. Since I favor more of a run-and-gun method, the powers of Lighting, Ice, and Fire were of great help to me, while I literally only used Telekenesis that one time you have to to clear the crap that's blocking the door. Similar for powers like Enrage, Security Bullseye, and Cyclone Trap.

Of course, if your battle strategy differs from mine, you may have found the above powers life saving. Like I said, it's all in your strategy.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Internet Kraken said:

You can use them to jump over incoming rockets you know............

On topic: The ability for Mages to summon a familiar in Baldur's Gate 2 only for it to be killed by the first fireball spell that hits your party and you permanently lose hit points.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Leftnt Sharpe said:
Internet Kraken said:

You can use them to jump over incoming rockets you know............

On topic: The ability for Mages to summon a familiar in Baldur's Gate 2 only for it to be killed by the first fireball spell that hits your party and you permanently lose hit points.
That's completely unnecessary. Rockets can be easily avoided by simply moving out of the way.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Jedamethis said:
iJosh said:
VanityGirl said:
iJosh said:
Contun said:
rokkolpo said:
how-bout splash (pokemon)
This and self-destruct.
.. and harden.
All of these are true. I think pokemon had some of the most useless moves.
I never used tail whip (the one where they shake their ass back and forth)

True, true.
Pokemon, The kings of being able to do useless crap.
Now to let my nerdiness express itself *Ahem*

Non-attacking moves in Pokemon can so much as Double or Halve the amount of damage you deal or receive, respectfully. With good timing, a single Sword Dance will allow a Pokemon to kill 5-6 mons singlehandedly, even if it doesn't have an elemental advantage.

Splash is useless though...
Melancholy_Ocelot said:
I used next to no offensive spells in Kingdom Hearts 2. Whacking things with the Key Blade was all I needed. MAYBE a projectile attack when I was bored, but they did little damage.
Actually, magic is almost always stronger than physical attacks in KH2. The only one that is worthless is fire/ra/aga because it doesn't stunlock like reflect, but even then, it's godly in Master Form. Just test it out.

Traveler and Numerology in FFXII. they were just too situational to be worth their high damage potential.

The_Ghost_Ninja

Dec 28, 2008
phoenix352 said:
The power to Walk slowly in a FPS game.....
why would you walk is beyond me...

and iam not talking about games that actually use walking as a stealth skill....
I actually use That Ability to Determine the Value of a game......
OT: Kaen From Tenchu: Silent Assassin.

Xeno264

Aug 12, 2009
The curb stomp on Prototype. If you ever manage to knock an enemy over, they'll either get straight back up or already be dead. It's quicker to just beat the crap out of them anyway.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Most instant kill moves, sure they kill enemies in one hit, but how often do they actually work?

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
The hammer, claw, and musclemass in Prototype. Once you got the sword and the whip, there wasn't really a point to use anything else.

thewerebuffalo

Mar 25, 2009
death spells in any rpgs. 99/100 times they don't work, if they do work you don't get any experience or items usually, and they can never be used practically like, kill that giant dragon. also when enemies use death spells against you THEY ALWAYS FUCKING WORK AND I HAVE TO RAGEQUIT OR PUT A FOOT THROUGH MY TELEVISION!

emissary666

May 6, 2009
Tentacle from Prototype, it had range and area but it was faster to punch them to death without musclemass or hammerfist. I only used it for jacking copters

Vision modes from Prototype, I don't get the point

Eagle Vision from Assassin's Creed, I dare you to find a use for it

Grenades from FPSs, I just can't throw, no fault of the game

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Anyone that says status magic and death spells are useless in FF has probably never embraced the path of the blue mage. Seriously in FF8 Quistis is easily one of the top 2 damage dealers in the game. In FF5 you could lv5doom a couple bosses or use lv3flare lv2old lv4quarter etc them. Mighty guard, reraise, and the ultimate spell...Matra Magic. Swapping HP with MP on your enemies is always fun.

Sadly there is one blue magic skill in particular that is so utterly useless, that even on the rare occausion you use it correctly it still doesn't do much of anything:

Goblin Punch

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
The hammer, claw, and musclemass in Prototype. Once you got the sword and the whip, there wasn't really a point to use anything else.
I'm with you on the claws and hammerfists, but why all the hate on musclemass. It's awesome! Coupled with enough combos and fighting moves it's way better than blade for dealing heavy damage to a few strong enemies. Those super soldiers go down like flies!

AWC Viper

Jun 12, 2008
All the Cards in Cod: WaW. mainly because i never played on multi-player (yes i'm a lonergamer)