Most Useless Power in a game?

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Melancholy_Ocelot said:
I used next to no offensive spells in Kingdom Hearts 2. Whacking things with the Key Blade was all I needed. MAYBE a projectile attack when I was bored, but they did little damage.
All magic in "Fate: Undiscovered Realms"

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
TPiddy said:
Fallout 3 had some pretty useless perks.... like Rad Regeneration.... sure you don't have to waste stimpaks to heal your limbs, but the perk was useless because the radiation level required to heal your limbs gave you horrible stat withdrawals.

They also have one that removes the withdrawal effect from alcohol, and Child at Heart was pretty useless too.
I got the Wazer Wifle for free with it, and got into little lamplight for free as well, but that's about it,
most useless for me? a lot of perks for fallout 3 were kinda inane.

Ninja_X

Aug 9, 2009
Jedamethis said:
iJosh said:
VanityGirl said:
iJosh said:
Contun said:
rokkolpo said:
how-bout splash (pokemon)
This and self-destruct.
.. and harden.
All of these are true. I think pokemon had some of the most useless moves.
I never used tail whip (the one where they shake their ass back and forth)

True, true.
Pokemon, The kings of being able to do useless crap.
Its not useless crap.

In those lower levels increasing your stats of decreasing the enemy's stats can yield huge advantage and quicker fights.

But I know to much about those games....

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Guitar Gamer said:
TPiddy said:
Fallout 3 had some pretty useless perks.... like Rad Regeneration.... sure you don't have to waste stimpaks to heal your limbs, but the perk was useless because the radiation level required to heal your limbs gave you horrible stat withdrawals.

They also have one that removes the withdrawal effect from alcohol, and Child at Heart was pretty useless too.
I got the Wazer Wifle for free with it, and got into little lamplight for free as well, but that's about it,
Yeah, I'm not saying that it's totally useless, but overall it doesn't affect the game or your character much at all... LadyKiller/Black Widow was a similar thing... only used in specific cases, though it did give 10% damage to the opposite sex, which made it better than Child at Heart, but still something I would never take.

UAProxy

Sep 11, 2009
dududf said:
Star Fox.

DO A BARREL ROLL!

Never done one, and don't see why I would need to.
It deflects laser fire if done with decent timing. Not too terribly useful at first, but pretty damn lifesaving on harder difficulties when you're low on health.

OT: Not so much a power as a weapon, and the game is tabletop, but...

The Imperial Guard Standard Issue "Flashlight" Lasgun.

Why are they called flashlights? Because against most enemies they're about as effective as one.

Of course, the Imperial guard have a near-infinite number of them which tends to be more potent, but still.

egwidalin

May 8, 2009
SaunaKalja said:
There are propably better examples, but one that comes to mind is the Light spell in Oblivion.
-Makes sneaking impossible
-You need to either dispel it or wait it out (to sneak again)
-To get a spell of useful magnitude, you need to have a really high skill
-Why not just use torch or night-vision
i love light spells.. they give off much more light than torches, are free (besides magic), dont require a hand to hold, and dont hurt my eyes like annoying night-eye. yes its dumb for sneaking, but theres other ways to play the game. OT: in every diablo game, telekinesis, why waste skill points to pick up gold when u can walk over and get it yourself.

Guitar Gamer

Apr 12, 2009
TPiddy said:
Guitar Gamer said:
TPiddy said:

Yeah, I'm not saying that it's totally useless, but overall it doesn't affect the game or your character much at all... LadyKiller/Black Widow was a similar thing... only used in specific cases, though it did give 10% damage to the opposite sex, which made it better than Child at Heart, but still something I would never take.
they could have really made it better but like you said, it's only in a few specific cases

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
egwidalin said:
OT: in every diablo game, telekinesis, why waste skill points to pick up gold when u can walk over and get it yourself.
Yes! I remember that... then again, kinda useful if you're playing a ranged character and you're playing with loot hogs :).

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
Cabamacadaf said:
Chech said:
Musselmass in Prototype. Yeah, you do more hand to hand damage and can throw stuff with increased efficiency but as Mr. Croshaw pointed out, once you get the extendo tentacle, what is the point? I used Musselmass once when I first got it to see if it was any good and the only other time it got a look-in was by mistake.
Musclemass is awesome, if you charge it you can smash people into tiny bits with a single punch, plus it's very useful against helicopters with cannonball, and to throw stuff at them. I thought the tentacle power was pretty much useless, I only used blade and musclemass.
i only use armor and muscle mass. so pleasing when you clothseline someone going 90 mph with gorrila hands. or fighting the lead hunter when you look like a mini hulk

OT: otacon face camo

edit: hehe human go squishy when i musclemass them ^^

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
CoziestPigeon said:
dududf said:
Star Fox.

DO A BARREL ROLL!

God I love peppys voice when he says it though.
Barrel rolls deflected lasers.
Ursus Astrorum said:
dududf said:
Star Fox.

DO A BARREL ROLL!

It deflects laser fire if done with decent timing. Not too terribly useful at first, but pretty damn lifesaving on harder difficulties when you're low on health.
apsham said:
dududf said:
Star Fox.

DO A BARREL ROLL!

Do you really not see why you would need to do one? >_>

Yeah know I get the point after once and maybe 2 is just reinforcing, but ffs I get it you don't need to go on about it.

'sids I just swerved outa the way and I'm fine. Never once needed to use it mainly because I didn't know what it did, and even now knowing what it did it seems pretty useless, if I can react to a suprise laser then I can move outa the way.. >_>

But yeah I still stay with my decision of the barrel roll... And maybe Thermal vision in Prototype...

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
dududf said:
CoziestPigeon said:
dududf said:
Star Fox.

DO A BARREL ROLL!

God I love peppys voice when he says it though.
Barrel rolls deflected lasers.
Ursus Astrorum said:
dududf said:
Star Fox.

DO A BARREL ROLL!

apsham said:
dududf said:
Star Fox.

DO A BARREL ROLL!

Do you really not see why you would need to do one? >_>

Yeah know I get the point after once and maybe 2 is just reinforcing, but ffs I get it you don't need to go on about it.

'sids I just swerved outa the way and I'm fine. Never once needed to use it mainly because I didn't know what it did, and even now knowing what it did it seems pretty useless, if I can react to a suprise laser then I can move outa the way.. >_>

But yeah I still stay with my decision of the barrel roll... And maybe Thermal vision in Prototype...

Musta never played on any of the hard levels.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
CoziestPigeon said:
[Musta never played on any of the hard levels.
I was like 9 when I played starfox.

And if it's prototype I played on the hardest and hardest +

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
The power to Walk slowly in a FPS game.....
why would you walk is beyond me...

and iam not talking about games that actually use walking as a stealth skill....

Kelbear

Aug 31, 2007
Any death or petrify spell in an RPG. They never work when they would be useful so they're a total waste of time.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
The boosters on the Mako in Mass Effect.

You'd probably assume that the purpose of boosters would be to help you climb up steep cliffs. Well it does the opposite. Instead, the boosters blow you off any steep surface you try to climb up.

The purpose of the boosters is to propel you into the air so you can climb a cliff. However, you can only use the boosters on a completely flat surface without fucking yourself up. And since the boosters only raise you about a pitiful 15 feet off the ground, you can't use it to climb any cliffs unless they are ridiculously small (and you can drive up those).

I can't think of any situation in which that ability was useful.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Most status and magic buffs in RPG's. Most of them are not even necessary and they take away a turn where you should be killing something.