Most Valuable Dark Elf

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Most Valuable Dark Elf

The most popular Dungeons & Dragons' character isn't your average knight or wizard.

Read Full Article

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
instead, he's your average dark elf character.

nah, I'm kidding, I love these books, it's just a shame how many dark elf characters I come across mimic his origin story.
then again, he probably isn't the worst offender.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I once played a dark elf in a D&D game.
I betrayed the whole party and played the villain to them though.

Leading to our group saying "You done got Drizzted son!".
It was hilarious seeing everyone groan at me playing "A drizzt clone" than back stabbing the entire party and playing the guy who set them up.

IRL I had to move so I sent my guy out with a bang oh and I almost killed off the parties Cleric and oh boy did that make them spaz.

Ah good times.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
"I'm surprised that anyone reads my books. I've been surprised by that since the first one came out."

Funny, I was kind of thinking the same thing. The Icewind Dale books were decent escapism and when the characters were fresh the clichés didn't matter but now the formula is creaking at the seams with the glut of low-quality writing.

Honestly, since The Halfling's Gem I haven't read a single R A Salvatore book that hasn't evoked an apathetic "meh" for it's samey-ness. Although - I've yet to try the Drizzt origin stories; if anyone would recommend them please let me know.

It's no surprise to me that his attachment to the Kingdoms of Amalur project has resulted in a cripplingly generic fantasy stew with little character to speak of. Hopefully this doesn't damage the game too much, I would really like to see that company succeed.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
UnderGlass said:
"I'm surprised that anyone reads my books. I've been surprised by that since the first one came out."

Funny, I was kind of thinking the same thing. The Icewind Dale books were decent escapism and when the characters were fresh the clichés didn't matter but now the formula is creaking at the seams with the glut of low-quality writing.

Honestly, since The Halfling's Gem I haven't read a single R A Salvatore book that hasn't evoked an apathetic "meh" for it's samey-ness. Although - I've yet to try the Drizzt origin stories; if anyone would recommend them please let me know.

It's no surprise to me that his attachment to the Kingdoms of Amalur project has resulted in a cripplingly generic fantasy stew with little character to speak of. Hopefully this doesn't damage the game too much, I would really like to see that company succeed.
Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn (the prequels to Icewind dale) were fantastic. It took fantasy storytelling into a non traditional setting. The post Icewind books, Legacy forward, were where the story started losing its tighter focus and feel. I have read up through the orc trilogy a few years back and none of the arcs have been as great as the first two trilogies. I can't hate on Legacy too much, that is the only one I have that I got autographed by Salvatore.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Got to say I agree with the author. I'm very surprised anyone reads his books myself. I tried and I just couldn't like them. Then again I'm not a fan of the setting at all.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
I liked Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn. It was refreshing to see how a race known for being murderous, backstabbing, and all around evil could actually form a society. It was a different and interesting approach compared to the generic, the bad guys are evil because I say so that most fantasy writers go for.

Its a shame then that everything else about the Drizzit series is so cliche.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
I'll echo the sentiments about anyone reading Salvatore's books. When I was a kid of course I thought they were great, but as I read more and more books in both the fantasy genre and others, and gained a greater appreciation for quality writing it became more and more apparent that Salvatore was simply an average author who had the good fortune to stumble upon a character that people fell in love with.

The fact that he's written 20 books on Drizzt is a testament to his shameless milking of the character. I haven't read any of his non-Drizzt books, but I bet you could plug him in to the storyline in place of a similar character without ever knowing that the books wasn't meant to be a Drizzt book to begin with. The guy has definitely got the formula nailed down, which is probably the biggest detriment to his books. They're probably formulaic, predictable and riddled with tropes and cliches.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
The Dark Elf trilogy (Drizzt's origin story in Homeland, Exile, and Sojourn), as others have mentioned, is pretty good. I find it rather interesting that Salvatore wrote them, they're so much better than his other works.

I've read quite a few of his other books; the other Drizzt works were just meh at best, and the book I read where he launched a new IP (new setting, new characters) was downright terrible (I've heard the sequels weren't quite as bad, but I didn't read them).

So, here's a theory: Maybe his standard way of writing is a huge mistake for him. With the Dark Elf trilogy, as it was a prequel, it had to go somewhere in particular. Perhaps with such constraint, he writes better?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Not great, but not too bad across the board, I've read (chronological order, the first 13 or something like that, and own the first six) Though I've found that most of the time I'm reading for Bruenor, Pwent, and/or Jarlaxle.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
The only one I haven't read was Spune of the World, didn't really care about a Wulfgar centered story.
Oh, and I haven't picked up Neverwinter yet, but probably will.

On a side note my wife pissed him off, only kinda, at MegaCon a number of years ago while he was promoting the comics of his Deamon-what's-it books. (oh gods do i feel old now) We went to get stuff signed that had nothing to do with what was being promoted, so the promoter got blown off but kept trying to bring up the subject. She told Salvatore that he needed to kill of Drizzt. You know, since the stories were getting all samey. He immediately stood up and declared her a "Blasphemer!!". Then we showed him what was brought to be signed; her copies of the Spearweilder Trilogy and the Crimson Shadow trilogy. He settled down and seemedvery happy to see some older work of his that was loved by a reader. Plus we got a few of the Drizzt books signed as well.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Zom-B said:
The fact that he's written 20 books on Drizzt is a testament to his shameless milking of the character.
I know for a fact that he has tried to end the books but was told, by WotC at the time, if he did then they would give it over to another writer. Salvatore does not own Drizzt, Hasbro owns Drizzt. (As stated in the article.) So ripping on the guy for trying to hang on to his character is rather unfair.

Besides, he has stated how Drizzt dies (in response to being told keep writing or it goes to someone else); Drizzt trips on his boot laces, falls down a ravine, breaks his legs, and dies of exposure.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Roganzar said:
Zom-B said:
The fact that he's written 20 books on Drizzt is a testament to his shameless milking of the character.
I know for a fact that he has tried to end the books but was told, by WotC at the time, if he did then they would give it over to another writer. Salvatore does not own Drizzt, Hasbro owns Drizzt. (As stated in the article.) So ripping on the guy for trying to hang on to his character is rather unfair.

Besides, he has stated how Drizzt dies (in response to being told keep writing or it goes to someone else); Drizzt trips on his boot laces, falls down a ravine, breaks his legs, and dies of exposure.
Okay, perhaps my judgement is a bit harsh, but as long as Hasbro owns the character he's not going to have any say in it's future. So Salvatore had a choice: he could have written a handful of strong novels and left a legacy behind and then distanced himself from whatever Hasbro did to the character afterwards, or he could continue to "protect" the character, write as many novels as Hasbro requires and keep cashing cheques. Clearly he chose the latter path.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Drizzt is an abomination who should be smeared out of existence. He is a traitor, and spits in the face of the worthy people from whom he was spawned. He represents everything that can go wrong with Drow. It causes nothing but shame to have any sort of connection to the dark elves, when mention of Drizzt comes up.

PPB

May 25, 2009
I came here to say that I was also surprised Drizzt books were still selling, but it seems that just about everyone beat me to it.

I also think that the Icewind Dale and Dark Elf trilogies were pleasant to read but that the series has gone downhill since then. I tried reading the next 2 trilogies (Legacy and Paths of Darkness as I recall) but could only finish the novel that featured Wulfgar and his thief friend instead of Drizzt, because it actually felt different from the rest.

My personal guess is that the character is still going strong only because there doesn't seem to be anything better set in the Forgotten Realms nowadays.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
viranimus said:
Drizzt is an abomination who should be smeared out of existence. He is a traitor, and spits in the face of the worthy people from whom he was spawned. He represents everything that can go wrong with Drow. It causes nothing but shame to have any sort of connection to the dark elves, when mention of Drizzt comes up.
Apparently you didn't notice that his sister and father had at various points actually questioned the logic behind their lifestyles...

Great point though, betraying a people whose entire view of the world is to betray people is completely out of character, as well as his different coloured eyes (which didn't change colour in infravision) and the Drow that saw it wondered how Drizzt would perceive the world around him.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
I used to love the Drizzt books as a kid. I haven't bought the last few though, kind of sad really, they were a big part of my life.

Where is my Drizzt film?

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Huh, seems to be a fair bit of dislike for Salvatore's work around here. I've always thought his writing was excellent, I find most other fantasy rather boring after having read all of the novels involving Drizzt and his fighting style...

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
I REALLY hated this character. I thought he was boring and vastly overpowered, but apparently I'm in the minority.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I love the books but I always liked Jarlaxle more than Drizzt. Drizzt is just too goody goody, I don't hate him like some people in this thread, I'm just not a huge fanboy. Jarlaxle is a more interesting character, walking the line between Drizzt's morality and that of his race. He won't hesitate to kill you twelve times before you hit the ground but he can also have loyalty to those that earn it.

That and he is, to me, a better fighter. One on one Drizzt would beat him but Jarlaxle has more tricks than God and Houdini combined.