Mount & Blade Dev Returns to the Golden Age of Piracy

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Mount & Blade Dev Returns to the Golden Age of Piracy

Snowbird's latest wargame sim will crown you pirate king.

Snowbird Game Studios, the fine folks behind skirmish combat sim Mount & Blade's With Fire and Sword expansion, has announced that its latest venture will take you to the Golden Age of Piracy. In Carribbean! you'll be coasting between the reefs looking for fat merchantmen, raiding coastal towns, and splicing main braces with the best of them. No word yet on the scurvy, but given the developer's commitment to realism it may be a good idea to stock up on limes before you set sail.

The developer promises a game filled "with spectacular and brutal sea battles, boarding fights, duels, political intrigues and, of course, piracy," all controlled by the Fire and Sword game engine. It will feature real time combat, with bloody boarding battles on the poop deck and spectacular cannon duels. Ships aren't your only target, as you'll also be capturing forts, harbours and coastal towns in your ongoing quest to become the terror of the high seas.

There's also a fair amount of management, by the look of things. Mount & Blade was ultimately just you against the world, but this time out you have a ship - or even a fleet - to command, with all the customization and time-consuming detail that this can involve. There will be a multiplayer mode featuring both sea and land battles, and what's described as a "complex siege system" for those occasions when the enemy discourteously decides to hold out rather than hand over the loot as soon as you show up.

It won't be long now before you can see for yourself. The PC release is scheduled for Autumn 2012.

Source: Snowbird [http://snowbirdgames.com/en/2012/07/%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%8B%D0%B9-%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B5%D0%BA%D1%82-%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BD%D1%91%D0%BC-%D0%B8-%D0%BC%D0%B5%D1%87%D0%BE%D0%BC-2-%D0%BD%D0%B0-%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B1%D1%8B/]

Apr 28, 2008
Sounds awesome. Love Mount and Blade, hopefully this is just as good.

I also hope I can have a hook hand, peg leg, and parrot on my shoulder. Realistic? Not really, but fuck it, it's fun!

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
Oh hell yes, this should be awesome, still wish that PotC game hadn't been canceled but Mount and Blade could easily pull off some epic naval battles, with bloody hand to hand combat.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Actually, I think you don't want to stock up on limes. The Brits used to call all citrus fruit "limes", and the Royal Navy required a "lime ration", so when they stocked "limes" a lot of times what they had was lemons. Eventually, the steam ships became fast enough that nobody got scurvy on transatlantic voyages, so the need to stock lemons instead of limes (or, worse, lime juice) was lost.

Eventually, Arctic and Antarctic expeditions showed that, yes, they still needed lemons.

(I've simplified a lot of convoluted history; for instance, fresh meat also prevents scurvy.)

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I like Mount & Blade. I enjoy Pirate games. I'm gonna pee myself with the idea of the two combined. Yohoho! Bring me my rum!

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Azuaron said:
Actually, I think you don't want to stock up on limes. The Brits used to call all citrus fruit "limes", and the Royal Navy required a "lime ration", so when they stocked "limes" a lot of times what they had was lemons. Eventually, the steam ships became fast enough that nobody got scurvy on transatlantic voyages, so the need to stock lemons instead of limes (or, worse, lime juice) was lost.

Eventually, Arctic and Antarctic expeditions showed that, yes, they still needed lemons.

(I've simplified a lot of convoluted history; for instance, fresh meat also prevents scurvy.)
Sauerkraut also was used, but generally anything involving copious amounts of vitamin C will do.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Oh hell yes, love me some Mount & Blade. Hopefully this will be better than With Fire and Sword, I was really disappointed with that.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
I like this idea, but... well let's just say that after With Fire and Sword I will a bit more cautious before I preorder.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Look, Sid Meier's Pirates! is probably my favourite game of all time, so of course I'm excited about this.

So beware...beware the one legged man. The one legged man brings death!

To get you in the mood...

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
All o' me treasure!

I be havin' waited fer a game like this fer ages! I be disappointed when that new Swashbucklers o' th' Carribean game be canceled an' I canna run th' Age o' Swashbucklers games on me computer fer some reason. Sid Meirs be fun, but nay complex enough. I hope we get t' keel haul around an' explore all aspects o' our ship in transit.

This pirate translator is fun, I think I'll translate some of my old essays.

Thanks rhizhim!

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Let's hope this dosn't end up as a Black Spot on their wonderful record.

That really was a terrible joke... ..looking forwards to this game, I'd never have thought of myself as First Person Swordsman till Mount and blade.

Also, imagine the mods!

I'm now hoping for a Crimson Skies like mod.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I love a good Pirate game and with the way combat works in the Mount and Blade games, this should be pure awesomeness sprinkled with win.

Can't wait.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I do not know what to say to this. I cannot think of the words needed to show how much I loved seeing this news so instead I will just leave this here.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
This is.. interesting. Have been wanting a proper piracy game for many years. Now if it were Taleworlds I'd be excited, but as I think WFnS was a wee bit naff, I shall await it with mere curiosity.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Do what you want cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate!

Some had to say it. Anyway, this is good news. I enjoy plundering small villages.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Damn.

Now I am so going to be making the most piratey pirate to ever pirate upon a pirate ship.
Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr